PO: Russian Circles - Memorial (Media Mail back on Hello $5.50)

I don't know if I'm just old, but it seemed like station was around for years on hello merch..they pressed like 1,000 of each color. I remember the pre-order coming with a signed metallic poster if you bought the bundle from suburban home. So glad these are getting back into circulation.

This is what I remember.

i want the damn box set sargent said was coming.

Can't copy and paste from Instagram, but whoever is running Sargent House's account pretty much canned the idea of a boxset. Paraphrasing here, but they commented something like "a boxset is too expensive to produce, and most people already own a few albums. We're just doing re-issues."

Furthermore, these are 2-3 months out.

And finally, they're still deciding on the colors for both reissues. Which I kind of suspected this whole time.

So the old looking colors are just that, the old colors? Such a tease for those without.

Correct.  The photo they used of the grey splatter Enter was taken from a questionable distance, and sports some really lackluster quality.  I thought that was a little fishy from day one.  The circulating photos are their way of saying "Hey, check this out.  You'll be able to own this album on vinyl... sometime soon."  I guess.

Does she still get kind of drunk and tweet?  I always thought those were fun / entertaining to read.

I believe so.  I added her on Twitter not too long ago, and she recently went on a rant about booking / promoting bands that I quite enjoyed.

Correct.  The photo they used of the grey splatter Enter was taken from a questionable distance, and sports some really lackluster quality.  I thought that was a little fishy from day one.  The circulating photos are their way of saying "Hey, check this out.  You'll be able to own this album on vinyl... sometime soon."  I guess.

I believe so.  I added her on Twitter not too long ago, and she recently went on a rant about booking / promoting bands that I quite enjoyed.

That makes sense, I'm guessing whoevers' copy of station that was, he did the intelligent thing and put the record into a white sleeve, instead of leaving it in the black paper sleeve it came in. I'm with McPherson and hope at least station is black. Thanks for clearing that up.

• 7 years later...

I don’t think this band has a bad record but I personally think memorial is their weakest, so many of the songs sound alike. Both deficit and 1777 have that similar sounding bridge in the middle

anyways a repress is good, more RC records is good

Edited by alwaysopenmouth

2 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I don’t think this band has a bad record but I personally think memorial is their weakest, so many of the songs sound alike. Both deficit and 1777 have that similar sounding bridge in the middle

anyways a repress is good, more RC records is good

I also wouldn't call any of their records bad. Just a couple that didn't really speak to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 6:00 PM, mcpherson123 said:

I also wouldn't call any of their records bad. Just a couple that didn't really speak to me.

Once I saw them live, it makes it difficult to listen to the albums. They're one of those bands that the studio just can not capture. Drive 3 to 4 hrs each way every tour.  They do not deviate from their set list once determined. I have heard some complaints about this from fans, but they do what they have to in order to make the touring grind work as well as possible. Wrecked trailers, broken thumbs and equipment, you name it.

2 hours ago, drds89 said:

Once I saw them live, it makes it difficult to listen to the albums. They're one of those bands that the studio just can not capture. Drive 3 to 4 hrs each way every tour.  They do not deviate from their set list once determined. I have heard some complaints about this from fans, but they do what they have to in order to make the touring grind work as well as possible. Wrecked trailers, broken thumbs and equipment, you name it.

Yeah the rigidity is something that people complain about but I don’t mind one bit. But I know they’re capable of being more fluid, too. I caught a show of theirs in 2011 or so where Mike had an issue with his guitar and so he’d walk over to the PA booth. This happened during the drum intro to Harper Lewis so Dave just kept playing over and over and adding little changes here and there. Once everything was fixed they picked up where they left off and it was almost seamless.