I'm getting a cat, how do I protect my records?

Amen to that.  I have a Siamese.  He's the biggest, coolest, most awesomest cat ever.  He would never do anything to hurt my reckas.  Cats are a great pet if you know how to treat them.  And the cat box doesn't have to stink up the place if you keep it cleaned.  I clean mine on the daily, only takes 30 seconds....  Lots of people just don't like cats because they aren't like a dog.  Completely different animal in almost every way.

People who like cats = people who use the term 'most awesomest'           Case closed.

my roomate has a cat. it rubs it's teeth/gums all over anything with an edge it can find. it chewed on the edges of my macbook twice. little bastard. it rubs it's teeth on the edges of my records if it can get to them.

I think it just depends on the personality of your cat. everyone in here has different stories.

I've yelled at it enough that it's stayed away from them for a while. I also invested in some polybags.

"Here's my problem with cats—You get the smartest cat in the world and it still craps in the house"—Red Forman

When my cats were allowed to go outside they never shit in my house. Now they have to stay inside because of a city bylaw. As for my records and turntables, they're in separate rooms that the cats aren't allowed in.

i have a cat and and he doesn't bother my records or my turntable. he does, however, love to sit on record mailers. i just make sure to not leave them lying around with records still inside. and when i slack off on tossing them, he gets a nice record mailer tower to sit on.

if you're worried and want to take preventative measures, the expedit doors are a solid option (although i know some people aren't a fan of them). also, if you want to go the DIY route, someone posted in a thread about protecting records from sun damage his homemade expedit doors and they looked pretty sexy.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88355-sun-damage-on-records-concern-how-to-fix/?p=1509645

To second a lot of what people are saying... My kitten likes to sleep on my record player (luckily there's a dust cover and she's not very heavy), but aside from that, she doesn't mess with records unless they are out in the open. If you can, protect them with doors, put them in other rooms, or find some other fancy way to keep them separate from potential danger. As long as you don't have a younger kitty it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe watch out for biting jackets, since some cats a nippy.

I have had several cats over the years and have never had a problem. That said, i store my records flat in one giant pile, without poly sleeves, with the records in the jackets with no dust sleeve, next to the giant dish space heater, which is next to the humidifier, which is then adjacent to the easy car where my aging grandmother smokes Cools all day long. That may have something to do with it - Cat's don't like menthol.

I think it's hilarious that people are dumb enough to have an animal in their house that pisses and shits in a box which stinks up the place, jump all over everything, and rip up everything with their claws. Cats are assholes.

I piss and shit in a bowl in my house. What were my parents thinking when they decided to create a human?

I just watched that episode of It's Always Sunny the other day.  I think it's one of my favorites. 

Also, I'd take a cat one hundred times over before I'd take a dog.  Cats may shit in a litter box, but at least they won't dig that shit out and eat it, or eat their own vomit, or demand attention every waking second, or meow incessantly at any and everything.  Only my opinion.  I grew up with only cats, so I'm incredibly biased.