I'm getting a cat, how do I protect my records?

Yeah, I'd take a cat over a human any day. People that actively dislike cats are obnoxious. Saying things like "Set it on fire" is disgusting. Your personality sucks.

I think it's only natural to dislike the ammonia scent of cat piss, not obnoxious. But hey, to each his own.

So don't stick your head in a cat's litter box? I don't know what disliking the smell of pee has to do with what I said.

I think you've simply become accustomed to the smell. When I walk into any cat owners house it's quite obvious there is a feline on premises.

• 2 years later...

i_love_this_thread.jpg

I have two cats.  One doesn't move except to eat and use the litter box.  The other jumps up on my record shelves and walks back and forth around the turntable but never bugs any of the records.  Worst thing I've experienced is the extra dust/dander but if you're cleaning regularly that shouldn't be a problem.  

I feel it's important to note that both of my cats are above 10 years old so they're pretty much just soaking up oxygen and begging for warm cuddles at this point.

Oh and want to add that protecting them against kids is a much harder job.  Opposable thumbs are the work of the devil!

^^ lovely

I was so worried when I moved in with my girlfriend and her cat two months ago, but both of them don't give a damn about my records. The cat loves to sleep on my lap every time I sit down to listen to records. She even gets up from her bed to come over and hang with me. So yeah, listening to records got a lot better since having a cat.

I have three cats, and not one has ever tried to eat, or even mess with my records.  But if someone is having an issue, the simplest answer is to get another cat to scare those cats away from the records. That will work right? I mean, if they could train a horse to talk on Mr. Ed.....

All cats are assholes. That doesn't stop them from being the single utmost magnificent creatures roaming on earth. I wouldn't even be angry if she started nibbling on my records. Who am I to judge the master race. I am nothing in the face of her godlikeness.

With that being said, here's a picture of me not reading a magazine while listening to music.

95f502609cef3a84b8fd938ce31ed670_zpspmqt

Cat hair has never been a problem for me. My dust cover is always on and brushing the cat helps a little. The problem I continue to have is my cat enjoys biting plastic. So after I bought bags of plastic covers and covered allllllll my records, my cat decided it would be cool to pull records half out of the shelf by the plastic and put little teeth marks on the cardboard sleeves and plastic covers of some records. Considering putting a cheap custom glass door on it because it's now turned into a game when I'm not paying enough attention to her. That and jumping on the dust cover of my turntable and immediately laying down on it glaring at me. Typical female

Yeah, I would imagine the static + cat hair being a problem, but as longs as you get it off there should be no problem I guess. But it must add some extra work - but maybe it's worth it.

That depends on the cat, primarily. Hah.  I've had many over the years.  Some are awesome and some are...not awesome.

I have three cats, and not one has ever tried to eat, or even mess with my records.  But if someone is having an issue, the simplest answer is to get another cat to scare those cats away from the records. That will work right? I mean, if they could train a horse to talk on Mr. Ed.....

Actually, my dog does this pretty well. My cat's front paws are declawed from her previous owner and she likes to claw (but not really) at the tops of my records in the bottom shelf. Now, whenever she goes near the shelf, my dog will get up, run over, and scare her away! :D