PO: Crosses (†††) - ††† (2/11/14)

what a fucking weird signing but anything that makes it easier to get a LP version of the new record is fine by me.  just weird to think of Chino on the same label as jagoffs like I See STars and Asking Alexandria haha

Save for Darkest Hour, Dillinger Escape Plan and Animals as Leaders, I think their lineup is complete garbage.  But, the same thing could be said about Hot Water Music's label mates on Rise and Epitaph is shaping up to be the exact same way.

It doesn't really mean anything overall and chances are Asking Alexandra money is paying for Animals as Leaders albums (I'm guessing Crosses brings in enough of their own loot, but who knows).  I do agree that it's a weird singing, but oh well.  Now if Crosses gets stuck touring with some of those bands, I might be upset.

Save for Darkest Hour, Dillinger Escape Plan and Animals as Leaders, I think their lineup is complete garbage.  But, the same thing could be said about Hot Water Music's label mates on Rise and Epitaph is shaping up to be the exact same way.

It doesn't really mean anything overall and chances are Asking Alexandra money is paying for Animals as Leaders albums (I'm guessing Crosses brings in enough of their own loot, but who knows).  I do agree that it's a weird singing, but oh well.  Now if Crosses gets stuck touring with some of those bands, I might be upset.

oh yeah I totally get that (shitty popular bands paying for signing better bands) but it's just weird cuz you'd think musicians like Chino and Shaun Lopez would have their pick of the indie label world.  I am glad that we can get a wider vinyl release from this though (hopefully).  and yeah that would suck if they toured with those shit bands but I doubt that would ever happen.

they're a pretty good mix of "rock"-like vocals mixed with a more rock-inspired witch housey electronic instrumentalism.

That's how I see it at least.

If you want Chino go Deftones and Team Sleep (you probably already know these).

If you want witch housey stuff without getting into the super weird, I'd check out Balam Acab, Holy Other, OoOoo (or however it's capitalized), Forest Swords... etc. Anything on Tri-Angle.

they're a pretty good mix of "rock"-like vocals mixed with a more rock-inspired witch housey electronic instrumentalism.

That's how I see it at least.

If you want Chino go Deftones and Team Sleep (you probably already know these).

If you want witch housey stuff without getting into the super weird, I'd check out Balam Acab, Holy Other, OoOoo (or however it's capitalized), Forest Swords... etc. Anything on Tri-Angle.

Oh I'm a chino fanboy. I guess what I'm looking for is something witch housey with rock vocals. Is that a thing?

If it is I don't know about it haha

When Crosses came out I thought it was kind of unique because I've always loved Deftones and I had just gotten off a witch-house kick.

The ones I listed are either more active instrumentals (Forest Swords), or witch house with more of like daze/haze chill vocals (Holy Other) or witchhouse with guest kind of rappy/not really vocals (OooOOo).

I realize I'm explaining this very poorly but if you check them out you'll see. Nothing like Crosses, but, you'll notice the similarities.

When Crosses came out I thought it was kind of unique because I've always loved Deftones and I had just gotten off a witch-house kick.

The ones I listed are either more active instrumentals (Forest Swords), or witch house with more of like daze/haze chill vocals (Holy Other) or witchhouse with guest kind of rappy/not really vocals (OooOOo).

I realize I'm explaining this very poorly but if you check them out you'll see. Nothing like Crosses, but, you'll notice the similarities.

So many good recommendations in here. Tri Angle is the best.

Ill check all those out. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that kills me is that each of the first two EP's could just be their own side of a single 12" and that could just be $15.99 alone. Sorry for bitching about costs but it really kind of seems wasteful not to do it that way. Also if the third album is going to be a full length, is it really going to be a 10"?

Fucking love Holy Other.