Protest the Hero - Volition - Out October 29th

I'm contemplating buying this record since I used to be a massive fan boy of these guys; is it worth it?

As someone who was a huge fan of Kezia, and still enjoys Fortress... no. I can't speak for everyone, but even after several generous attempts, I can't get into Volition to save my life. The songwriting is exceptionally forgettable, and I find myself deeply annoyed with Rody's lyrics this time around. (They're bad. Really bad.) His delivery is more theatrical than ever, too -- that could be a plus, six years ago, but as it stands I have zero interest in his vocal style. And Adler's drumming - while technically impressive - is dry as hell. A lot of PTH fanboys are shitting themselves at his use of double-bass, but his drumming sounds the same on 80% of the record. It just becomes such a drag for me.

But my opinion seems to be in the minority on this one. I'd definitely check out the MP3s. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

As someone who was a huge fan of Kezia, and still enjoys Fortress... no. I can't speak for everyone, but even after several generous attempts, I can't get into Volition to save my life. The songwriting is exceptionally forgettable, and I find myself deeply annoyed with Rody's lyrics this time around. (They're bad. Really bad.) His delivery is more theatrical than ever, too -- that could be a plus, six years ago, but as it stands I have zero interest in his vocal style. And Adler's drumming - while technically impressive - is dry as hell. A lot of PTH fanboys are shitting themselves at his use of double-bass, but his drumming sounds the same on 80% of the record. It just becomes such a drag for me.

But my opinion seems to be in the minority on this one. I'd definitely check out the MP3s. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Lyrics are bad, yes. Drumming is nothing to write home about, yes. But all in all it's a very rounded and fun album to listen to IMO, and that's what I like most about all other PTH releases as well. 

That made the decision pretty easy. Thanks. I guess I should have figured considering how little I cared for Scurrilous.

I'm contemplating buying this record since I used to be a massive fan boy of these guys; is it worth it?

That made the decision pretty easy. Thanks. I guess I should have figured considering how little I cared for Scurrilous.

I still say listen to it. you might actually like it. i think it gets better as it goes along, with the exception of A Life Embossed. they have all the songs on YouTube. not available in the US, but im pretty sure they are in Canada.

I still say listen to it. you might actually like it. i think it gets better as it goes along, with the exception of A Life Embossed. they have all the songs on YouTube. not available in the US, but im pretty sure they are in Canada.

I guess I should just give it a try, but the one teaser track I head before the album came out was a little underwhelming.

With that said, my friend who I used to go to shows with loves the album, but he still is in love with Protest the Hero. I'm actually kinda convinced he would love an album featuring Rody Walker farting into a microphone...

I guess I should just give it a try, but the one teaser track I head before the album came out was a little underwhelming.

With that said, my friend who I used to go to shows with loves the album, but he still is in love with Protest the Hero. I'm actually kinda convinced he would love an album featuring Rody Walker farting into a microphone...

i would say that track, assuming it's Clarity, and the one i mentioned up there were the two i liked least. dunno how other people feel, but i think they definitely should have chosen two different songs to debut.

Lyrics are bad, yes. Drumming is nothing to write home about, yes. But all in all it's a very rounded and fun album to listen to IMO, and that's what I like most about all other PTH releases as well. 

Eh.  I'd wholeheartedly agree that - even though PTH's back-catalog isn't exactly my cut of tea, these days - it sure is a lot of fun.  Even Scurrilous, as embarrassing as it is at times, is still a pretty enjoyable pop-metal record that teeters on the cheesy side.  But Volition just bores me to tears.  I get the "fun" element you're referring to, but after two or three songs I'm completely over it.  I do not think it is a well-rounded record in the slightest, but I can respect your opinion.  It'd be boring if we all felt the same way about the album, honestly.  Sometimes a fun, light-hearted listen is exactly what the doctor ordered.  But in the case of Volition, I can think of a hundred other records that would still deliver the haphazard fun without making me cringe.

As an interesting note, I went back and listened to the band's discography, after hearing Volition for the first time.  Scurrilous is worse than I remember it being - especially some of Rody's vocals and lyrics - but moments of it are still memorable in my books.  But from what I've read, a lot of folks who didn't care for Scurrilous are pretty big on the new album.  So with that said...

I still say listen to it. you might actually like it.

This is on key.  You've got nothing to lose, and you never know what the album will do for you.  I hope you don't allow my personal jadedness to scare you away from it.

Yep, I gave it a listen to. Not a big fan. It's almost as if they took the song Bone Marrow from Fortress and extended it into an entire album. I'm listening to Kezia now, and without my nostalgia goggles on... it's not that good. Damn.

I guess my main quarrel with this album, aside from everything Derek said, which I think is really on point, the album just doesn't seem genuine to me. It seems very calculated.

I guess my main quarrel with this album, aside from everything Derek said, which I think is really on point, the album just doesn't seem genuine to me. It seems very calculated.

I've talked to a few people who feel the same exact way.  I think every musician on that album is talented as hell, and they all play with some truly impressive technicality... but parts of Volition feel less like songs and more like displays of technical prowess.

I've talked to a few people who feel the same exact way.  I think every musician on that album is talented as hell, and they all play with some truly impressive technicality... but parts of Volition feel less like songs and more like displays of technical prowess.

I don't know if it's true any more, but one thing that always bugged me about Protest the Hero is they couldn't play their songs live. I remember when I saw them play all of Kezia at what I think was the album release show; and they could barely play it. I also remember talking to Rody Walker after Fortress came out and he was talking about how they weren't able to play songs off the album live yet. I mean it's great and all that you wrote a technical song, but if you can't play it consistently it kind of devalues what you did.

I don't know if it's true any more, but one thing that always bugged me about Protest the Hero is they couldn't play their songs live. I remember when I saw them play all of Kezia at what I think was the album release show; and they could barely play it. I also remember talking to Rody Walker after Fortress came out and he was talking about how they weren't able to play songs off the album live yet. I mean it's great and all that you wrote a technical song, but if you can't play it consistently it kind of devalues what you did.

from what ive seen of them live, they are usually pretty good. never had any objection to the musicianship, just Rody's singing. he for sure can't hit the notes he does on the albums.

I've seen them once maybe a month or two before Kezia came out. They turned me into a fan so it couldn't have been that horrible haha.

This album, tho. I can listen to that first song before I'm bored and have to turn it off. Same with Scurrilious but I might actually get two songs in.

Finally got my backers edition in the mail, other then one dented corner its in pretty decent condition. It came unnumbered even though the indiegogo page stated it would be numbered. 

I sent them an e-mail for an update and they said i should get mine on friday. i dont anticipate it being numbered either, even though i was one of the first to order it.