Black Friday Record Store Day--November 2013

This might interest a few people here on the board:

• SOCIAL DISTORTION Prison Bound 25th Anniversary LP (Concrete Colored Vinyl, 180g LP limited to 2000 copies with 300 random copies including a Mike Ness autographed art print!) 

I don't think this is an RSD thing. It's been up for PO on SRC for a bit. 

Looking through the lists over and over and have basically decided I probably won't be picking up anything. the MIles represses are overpriced (imo)... 

Picked up the stereo reissue of Kind Of Blue a couple years back and it sounded just as good as my original press. Wound up selling the original for about $125. New repress... $25. So you tell me.

I keep toying with the idea of the Cake box in my head.

I feel like I should put that money towards something I want more like two of my grails or.. real life bills :P

But fashion nugget and comfort eagle are so tempting...

The Cake box set is up for pre-order at the Bullmoose website (was previously an in-store item only).

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/15468832/cake-cake-vinyl-box-set-lp-x-8

Looks like I'll be saving a lot of money this year lol. I'm on the fence about the Nirvana remix 45 set. The pricing is actually better than I had imagined and it is on clear vinyl. And it should sound great. But then again, when I wanna hear something I usually go for original mixes, assuming they're better... This is essentially just an alt. mix, and I can't see myself playing so often. I barely listen to In Utero that much as it is.

Soo... Ehh.

Other releases gotta step it up. Roy Orbison box looks cool, will pick it up if mastering details come forth. I don't exactly have high hopes.

Same for the Lee Perry

Hard to say with this one. It's the most popular jazz album of all time. And while it was repressed for its 50th a few years back, they didn't do a mono press. And I may be wrong, but I don't think there has been a mono pressing since the original run of LPs in the 50s. There is a demand for it. So it really depends on how many they decide to press and the demand.

Personally, I'd buy KoB sooner than later. Yeah, you'll be able to get this after BF, but I wouldn't wait through the holidays.

I did read once that Sony couldn't track down the masters for the mono mix. I'm curious as to the linage of this reissue.

Funny thing is, it's actually a mono REMIX. They did actually mix it to tape again from the 3 track. There has to be a huge demand for this for them to do that. But it's mono for the sake of mono, so why? It's not the original mix, it wasn't mixed on any of the same equipment... Any sense of authenticity is lost. I get that it fills a need for people who for some reason want to hear this coming out of one speaker, but they're kinda missing the point I think. I see it as mono for the sake of being in mono, with little in common with the original mono release. And with that said, it should technically be a much improved mono record. But KOB is such a damn well recorded album I don't get why anyone would want to hear it in anything but stereo anyway. It's glorious.

My $.02

I just browsed the official list they put up.  All I'm really interested in is Nick Cave, The Replacements, Flaming Lips and possibly that Townes van Zandt box set (depending on price).  I noticed those Wilco & Billy Bragg reissues weren't on the list, which is odd.  I want those either way, RSD release or not.

Funny thing is, it's actually a mono REMIX. They did actually mix it to tape again from the 3 track. There has to be a huge demand for this for them to do that. But it's mono for the sake of mono, so why? It's not the original mix, it wasn't mixed on any of the same equipment... Any sense of authenticity is lost. I get that it fills a need for people who for some reason want to hear this coming out of one speaker, but they're kinda missing the point I think. I see it as mono for the sake of being in mono, with little in common with the original mono release. And with that said, it should technically be a much improved mono record. But KOB is such a damn well recorded album I don't get why anyone would want to hear it in anything but stereo anyway. It's glorious.

My $.02

Depending on how curious you are, you might read Analog Planet's review. They explain why it was remixed--the mono tapes are missing--and compare the mono remix to the various stereo issues. 

The review ends with

the music experience is complete and organically "whole," making a strong case for the superiority of the mono mix. If you love this record (and who in the world does not?), the mono reissue is a necessity not an "add-on" option!

I'm not suggesting that you make the new mono mix your "go to" version. However, there is a point to this beyond getting getting all of us to buy the album yet again.

Chris