Thrift Store Find

Guys,

I have been looking for a cool vintage stereo for my garage for a while.  

Today I scored a 1964 RCA 4VF326 console stereo for 32 dollars at my local thrift store.  It still has the original manuals, its a tube unit and it still works.  I may sand it down this fall and apply some fresh stain.

Here are a few pics:

D2917C95-353F-4E1A-9CFF-FC7B00C254FC-635

4F433B68-CC70-4158-AE96-8246FFF213FF-635

AAB94FAC-E243-4E6D-8889-03F195C54B08-635

36DE95A9-081F-4CAD-B762-627A3583A1FF-635

F9F63DAA-494C-4ECE-8480-C247D3376691-635

34FE1AB1-36D9-41E8-AB77-8AC08D5142B0-635

If you purchased this for the looks, congrats.  If you purchased it for the sound, you may find yourself disappointed....

Also make sure you get the tubes/guts serviced and checked over.  Using a vintage tube unit right away can lead to damage to the piece at best, or a fire at worst.

If you purchased this for the looks, congrats.  If you purchased it for the sound, you may find yourself disappointed....

Also make sure you get the tubes/guts serviced and checked over.  Using a vintage tube unit right away can lead to damage to the piece at best, or a fire at worst.

Thanks for the advice.  I definitely don't want to catch the house on fire.  I'm not worried about the sound, I was mostly interested in a fun project; although I think it sounds pretty good right now.  I plan on having the entire inside serviced before I move it inside.  Right now I am sanding and staining the outside so this is going to be a pretty big project.  

I've always wanted one of these, though I always figured I get better sound out of my current setup then I would out of one of these. It just looks so cool though... Great find for $32! At best, you could hot rod the speakers and the TT into something useable. At worst, it's a brilliant piece of furniture. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

found the same one at a goodwill nearby, but opted to pass on it. awesome piece of furniture, but i imagined the sound would be turrible.

Overall the sound is decent and it got better after it was recapped.  

I picked it up more for a project to do over the summer/fall with my son than I did for sound quality.