WAXWORKS RECORDS Official Mega-Thread

43 minutes ago, conedust said:

That's how I feel about many (if not most) of the reissued soundtracks that clog the market these days. I bought and quickly sold Waxwork's version of Ennio Morricone's The Thing because for all the fancy packaging, it just didn't sound that great. Picked up a gently used copy of the '82 original on MCA and never looked back. Same goes for Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now. Both fantastic soundtracks, but I find the overdesigned, aesthetically dubious "collectible" reissues a lot less appealing than some of the original editions, most which can still be had for reasonable sums. 

Would love to see the companies that specialize in this focus a bit more on worthwhile genre soundtracks that haven't yet made it to vinyl. For instance, I'd love to have Michael Nyman & Damon Albarn's Ravenous, Angelo Badalamenti's The City of Lost Children, and Carles Cases' Dagon on wax. But I'm sure they know better than me what the people want.

That's a really reasonable way to approach this.  The Thing was a pretty big disappointment because the mastering on that puppy was fantastic, but the wax was marred by all kinds of pressing issues on virtually every copy I've heard.  But those quiet moments...whoah. 

Also, the three scores you mentioned get requested a lot. Probably in the order you mention them, actually. Sometimes, as I believe might be the case with Dagon, the source material isn't available or someone is trying to get way too much money for the publishing rights for an obscure property. In the end, these labels are just businesses after all.

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

THE BURBS?!!! Please, Waxwork, do not tell me this was a meaningless GIF selection.

That would be a good one.  I think I'm out on the subscription next year though - I've been underwhelmed with the 'subscriber' variants this year.  The Burbs would be a nice surprise in general.

19 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

I've always loved the Burbs' score. Dark and sinister yet also goofy and totally 80's.

That, along with After Hours, are two I'm dying to see finally pressed.

Hmmm maybe I'll rewatch it, I haven't seen it in a couple years. I remember the movie but not the music.

"Now look at the God Damn brownies!"

16 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

https://waxworkrecords.com/blogs/news/2018-waxwork-records-subscription-announcement

Burbs! Get Out! drag me to hell!

night and Dawn!!

this will be my first subscription. No hesitation.

I said I wasn't going to subscribe again.  But kind of have to now with that lineup.  I'm hoping the 'subscriber variants' are better this time though.  However, the Creepshow 2 poster that's coming with my current subscription definitely is a perk (still waiting on the Evil Dead 2 shirt too).  

Edited by djghost1976

So you’re telling me that 4 out of the 5 subscription Records this year are 2XLPs!? You get a mug, shirt, magnet, poster, calendar, pin and notebook for the same exact price as the previous subscription for this year and 1 out of 5 of the Records was a 2XLP and we only got half of the goodies you’re giving out for next year!? Bullshit.

47 minutes ago, Rottengoth said:

So you’re telling me that 4 out of the 5 subscription Records this year are 2XLPs!? You get a mug, shirt, magnet, poster, calendar, pin and notebook for the same exact price as the previous subscription for this year and 1 out of 5 of the Records was a 2XLP and we only got half of the goodies you’re giving out for next year!? Bullshit.

Totally awful way to look at it, next year's lineup being enticing didn't change the value you signed up for this year. They delivered exactly what you signed up for.

59 minutes ago, Rottengoth said:

Last year was $40 or $50 cheaper.