WAXWORKS RECORDS Official Mega-Thread

On 10/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, FiggyPud said:

Also, the art is kind of strange to me.  Like... it looks like the Moonshake guy did it, if that makes sense.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:07 AM, tetsuodaironman said:

It does. Fucking terrible. Worst art I've ever seen on any LP ever.

Yaller nuts. This is exactly what the characters & their environment are supposed to look like, maybe the only piece of Turtles spin-off merch I've  seen get it right in recent years. Looks tough & gritty/urban, but still more-or-less kid-friendly. Also looks like a basically homemade 80s indie comic -- as it should. Love the roughness of Eastman's lines, traces of graf & anime/manga in the character designs, 70s children's book illustration in the background; love the noirish streetscape & looming skyline suggesting a seedy, trashy, crime-scarred Manhattan that doesn't really exist anymore. Good stuff, and the relative crudity of Eastman's style is a definite virtue in that regard, like you know there's ass about to get kicked. Far more appropriate and interesting than most of the characterless, soulless, blandly realistic "art" that typically graces these money-sink soundtrack reissues aimed at indiscriminate pop culture collectors . I mean, I'm not gonna buy a copy, because the music doesn't interest me, but the packing is fucking perfect.

Edited by conedust
upliftment of all peoples

6 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

With that price I may have to wait.  Hopefully I don’t end up missing out.

Listen to the score. Outside of the film, not really worth almost $50 to me. I think I only see it as being married to the picture. Rather boring sounding on its own. But hey, lots of people are gonna get it just for the art. We get it.

20 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Listen to the score. Outside of the film, not really worth almost $50 to me. I think I only see it as being married to the picture. Rather boring sounding on its own. But hey, lots of people are gonna get it just for the art. We get it.

Agree completely, as much as I would like to grab it the soundtrack isn't worth that much to me either.. IDK about everyone else but I also don't listen to film scores enough throughout the year to buy that many of them with these kind of prices so I try to just stick with a few favorites and grab some I see here and there at a good price. I have a feeling I can eventually grab one of the variants in the 30 range if I wait a bit. Great to see this finally get re-issued though regardless.