PO: Opeth- Ghost Reveries (RE)

Eh, they are under-estimating the print run to get fans to buy them at the expensive website price.

Still, I love this band. I ended up buying a copy of the red cause I thought it just looked SICK!

And given how much the Heritage variants trade for, I figure it is now or never.

Thanks to LeHooch for the heads up that the original is not the best sounding pressing. I have the USA one and would love a UK or European pressing.

I figure if I end up preferring the original, I could always get my $40 back.

Thanks for posting about this :)

P.S. Anyone ever listen to the original Netherlands pressing?

Is this a remaster? I've held off on buying an original copy of this because a lot of people have said it sounds like crap.

I have seen people stating that but they are full of shit. I just re-checked my copy and it is perfectly fine, the only problem this might have is that tracking the end of The Baying of the Hounds might be difficult, since it is at the end of side one. The same problem is with Bleak on every Blackwater Park pressing (I have all three).

Otherwise Ghost Reveries sounds great, the master seems to be the same as CD, but there is definitely more higher end there, so it might be higher resolution than the CD.

I have seen people stating that but they are full of shit. I just re-checked my copy and it is perfectly fine, the only problem this might have is that tracking the end of The Baying of the Hounds might be difficult, since it is at the end of side one. The same problem is with Bleak on every Blackwater Park pressing (I have all three).

Otherwise Ghost Reveries sounds great, the master seems to be the same as CD, but there is definitely more higher end there, so it might be higher resolution than the CD.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I picked up a copy prior to your answer just because I want this so bad but now I'm even more stoked. I have the MoV press of Blackwater and there was/is a decent amount of people who complained about the sound on that but I think it sounds awesome, glad to hear GR is the same.

Haha, thanks! Maybe your system is full of shit because the sound quality of the OP sucks...really hope they did something here!

Interesting. What exactly are you talking about? Distortion in the inner grooves? Overall distortion? Clicks/pops/surface noise? 

Like I said, my copy is fine, I only have some distortion at the end of The Baying of The Hounds, but my cart isnt the best either. I believe I have the EU pressing though I think there is only one pressing of these and there are no differences between the EU and the US press.

My OP US Roadrunner press sounds good to me. Good enough that I don't feel the need to get this repress, even if it is my favorite Opeth album.

Despite my earlier post, I went ahead and pre ordered one from Last Rights. Thanks morfiend. 

Not really sure what made me change my mind sometimes. Sometimes I just like spending money on records.

• 2 weeks later...

received them yesterday (UK) - red, gold, brown + picture disc. Packaging was fine and all seem to be 180 gram. Gave the red version a quick go and the sound seems fine. The red vinyl is different to my only other red vinyl album (Rush - Hemispheres). With the Rush album it's slightly translucent. On this, the red is darker with slight flecks in the colour. Was concerned it might affect the sound but it's fine. They ran out of A2 posters for the picture disc version -  sent me a text saying they would forward it later, which i thought was good service