The Ambient & Experimental Thread

Probably my favorite Burial (and Four Tet) song.

Also, if anyone wants to check it out I put a song up on soundcloud that I wrote for The Healing Process but cut from the album since it was a little too uh, dark I guess? 

https://soundcloud.com/asseasexhaleofficial/the-storm

Overdue, but I'm finally getting around to picking up a lot of Grouper's lesser-known albums, one by one.  Just placed an order for both A I As last night -- feels good.  I dig how I'll have nothing but black wax and black-and-white jackets when it's all said and done.  Consistency is my jam.

Anyone else shower at 02:00 AM, slide into bed with an ambient album, and feel like it just may be the best thing in the world?

Overdue, but I'm finally getting around to picking up a lot of Grouper's lesser-known albums, one by one. Just placed an order for both A I As last night -- feels good. I dig how I'll have nothing but black wax and black-and-white jackets when it's all said and done. Consistency is my jam.

Anyone else shower at 02:00 AM, slide into bed with an ambient album, and feel like it just may be the best thing in the world?

Make the time a little earlier, and yes, every night. Only way I can collect myself for another day of work.

The Stranger, Demdike Stare, The Caretaker, Burial, Grouper. Always on heavy rotation.

The Stranger, Demdike Stare, The Caretaker, Burial, Grouper. Always on heavy rotation.

I really dig Grouper and Burial while dozing off.  Godspeed is also my jam, though I'll very rarely wake up in the middle of some drone or chaos and briefly consider that the world may be ending.  Stars of the Lid, Hammock, Tim Hecker, 36, Julianna Barwick, Eluvium, Helios, Sigur Rós, and A Winged Victory For the Sullen are also choice.

[edit]

Almost forgot Bersarin Quartett.  One of my all-time favorites.

I've never heard of The Stranger, Demdike Stare, or The Caretaker, though.  I should probably rectify that.

I really dig Grouper and Burial while dozing off.  Godspeed is also my jam, though I'll very rarely wake up in the middle of some drone or chaos and briefly consider that the world may be ending.  Stars of the Lid, Hammock, Tim Hecker, 36, Julianna Barwick, Eluvium, Helios, Sigur Rós, and A Winged Victory For the Sullen are also choice.

I've never heard of The Stranger, Demdike Stare, or The Caretaker, though.  I should probably rectify that.

The Stranger and Caretaker are one in the same dude, two projects.  Caretaker is basically spliced up 78s from the 40s or something... super crackly, old sounding ballroom songs a little fuzzed out.  Try An Empty Bliss Beyond This World before anything else.

Stranger is a more hauntology kind of project of his... the new album Watching Dead Empires in Decay is pretty awesome. Picture a post-apocalyptic world where machines and industry and cities are breaking down and you've got the sonic atmosphere of this album.

Demdike Stare is experimental, UK hauntology. A little harder to get into, but, very cool.

Overdue, but I'm finally getting around to picking up a lot of Grouper's lesser-known albums, one by one. Just placed an order for both A I As last night -- feels good. I dig how I'll have nothing but black wax and black-and-white jackets when it's all said and done. Consistency is my jam.

I love how all of her sleeves match. I need to take a picture of them together at some point. Let me know if you guys ever need me to look around for Grouper stuff for you. I live close to Exiled Records which distributes pretty much everything for Liz. The Helen 7" she was part of is awesome. The Grouper/Roy Montgomery split was just repressed, so everyone should jump on that.

I'm going to give Burial a proper listen when I'm not studying. I'll report back at some point.

Let me know if you guys ever need me to look around for you.

I figured a lot of her material would be pretty close to you.  If you could keep your eyes peeled for a new copy of Wide, that's the next one on my list.  Discogs' cheapest appears to be around $28 PPD or so.

Looking forward to seeing your Grouper collection, too, when you get the time.

Very nice.  I'll check those out as soon as I can.  What might be a good place to start with Demdike?

Hmm... Liberation through hearing is probably your best bet for first listen. Everything they've got is very similar but at the same time very different.

And, I really need to expand my Grouper vinyl. AIA and Deer are my only three thus far.

Sure thing, Derek. I should be in there sometime this week and will check it out. I'll let you know.

I'll take a picture of my Grouper stuff soon but there are probably so many collections out there that put mine to shame. I have kept away from the art editions and variants. I still need most 7"s of her's too.

I never got into Eluvium at all

Madness! :P

Just kidding, but Matt Cooper is musically one of the most important people of the last 20 years imo. Don't know what I would do without his music. Seeing him live was a pretty profound moment for me.

Talk Amongst The Trees is mostly guitar with some synth. Same with Lambent Material. Under the Water It Glowed is my favorite song from him and it is only guitar. I hear you though. I personally really enjoy the piano stuff but I get it if you don't. I always recommend An Accidental Memory... to anyone I know who likes that kind of thing.

I'm fine with whatever he does. I love the diversity.

I'm the same way.  I could put his catalogue on rotate for days and not skip a song.

Speaking of Eluvium, does anyone have the box set?  It's very high up on my want list and I have a feeling I'm going to try and get a copy in the next few years (if Temp Res doesn't eventually repress them).

That boxset is a beauty. I do not own it, but I often daydream, especially since none of the albums are available elsewhere. Tax returns are around the corner...

Sure thing, Derek. I should be in there sometime this week and will check it out. I'll let you know.

I'll take a picture of my Grouper stuff soon but there are probably so many collections out there that put mine to shame. I have kept away from the art editions and variants. I still need most 7"s of her's too.

That's why you're the man, Bronch.

I was thinking about gunning for variants of Wide and Dragging, but they're so spendy. And the art edition of any of her material is well out of my financial comfort zone, at the moment. More power to you if you seek them out.

The Caretaker is basically spliced up 78s from the 40s or something... super crackly, old sounding ballroom songs a little fuzzed out. Try An Empty Bliss Beyond This World before anything else.

Damn, this is cool. I gave it a thorough listen with undivided attention last night, and quite enjoyed it. Going to doze off with it in the background, this evening, too. It's got a very Basinski vibe to it... but not quite as minimal. I found it to be soothing but also unsettling in the best way possible. Thanks for the indirect suggestion.

Talk Amongst The Trees is mostly guitar with some synth. Same with Lambent Material. Under the Water It Glowed is my favorite song from him and it is only guitar. I hear you though. I personally really enjoy the piano stuff but I get it if you don't. I always recommend An Accidental Memory... to anyone I know who likes that kind of thing.

Thanks man, I will definitely give this another try. As you're more into piano you might check out Keith Kenniff's various projects: Helios (ambient mainly with guitars and some piano + field recordings) and Goldmund (which is mostly piano with decent use of guitars).

That boxset is a beauty. I do not own it, but I often daydream, especially since none of the albums are available elsewhere. Tax returns are around the corner...

That's why you're the man, Bronch.

I was thinking about gunning for variants of Wide and Dragging, but they're so spendy. And the art edition of any of her material is well out of my financial comfort zone, at the moment. More power to you if you seek them out.

Damn, this is cool. I gave it a thorough listen with undivided attention last night, and quite enjoyed it. Going to doze off with it in the background, this evening, too. It's got a very Basinski vibe to it... but not quite as minimal. I found it to be soothing but also unsettling in the best way possible. Thanks for the indirect suggestion.

Absolutely man, glad you enjoyed it.

Something to ponder while you listen:  Most of his stuff has to do with memory. Specifically faulty memory, like alzheimers.  Most of these tracks are meant to illustrate the idea of a memory so sensory and close, but just out of reach, covered in fog and dust, fading in and out with only the parts you can remember repeating over and over.