The Ambient & Experimental Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Was listening to Slow Walkers and stumbled here after a search. This is a great thread.

The Secret Pyramid LP is a monster, it's really great, for fans of Lovesliescrushing, SOTL, Grouper.

Also, the new AANIPAA (Mika Vainio & Stephen O’Malley) LP on Mego is some seriously immersive/heavy stuff!

Absolutely. Secret Pyramid's LP is one of the best things that came out last year yet it seems somewhat overlooked. There's a certain intensity to the music that just totally grabs a hold of you. A very recommended listen.

That ÄÄNIPÄÄ project is one harsh, unforgiving listen. I personally found it to be a lot more difficult to sit through than Sunn O at first.

Anyone hear of Message To Bears?  Multi-instrumentalist who composes some pretty serene sounds, in my opinion.  He just released a new album, and it's a fantastically chilly listen for those of us going into the winter season.

a3413736770_2.jpg

Vinyl press will be made available to order in the coming weeks: check it out if you're at all interested.  His previous stuff is just as solid, too.

In a few weeks he'll be playing over here in a garden about half a mile from where I'm sitting at the moment.

Definitely serene and quite melancholy as well. If you like MTB you might want to give Emphemetry a listen. Very similar feeling. A Lullaby Hum is especially amazing (haven't listened to anything else, ha)

http://emphemetry.bandcamp.com/

And to be not completely offtopic: Does anyone know something similar to This Will Destroy You's "Tunnel Blanket"?

No, but I sure wish I did. After getting very into Tunnel Blanket, I found it hard to listen to their earlier stuff. It's among my all time favourite albums. An abolutely amazing listen at night through headphones. So isolating. Here's to hoping the new album brings more of the same.

Their guitarist Christopher Royal King released a solo album titlet Online Architecture under the alias Symbol. Yet to listen to it but from what I've gathered it's not very close to TWDY's sound. I reckon it's worth checking out either way.

Picked up the MOV reissue of Philip Glass' Solo Piano, pricey but sounds fantastic. Mesmerizing record.

The lady just did so too and I am very glad that she did. Over here it's reasonably priced, I imagine it to be a lot more costly over there. Great album indeed. I'm a bit vary of monster labels like that so MOV is slightly dubious in my eyes still. At least their size makes it so they also have great quality control.

Just listened to Continent the other day, much more ambient than his newer album

Listened to that album when it was on sale for about 10$ to see whether I liked it but missed out on it. The first track is so strong that everything else sounds effete after that (had to look this one up, ha!). Also for some reason, the track 'Big Love' throws me off. I get this cheesy dance music vibe from it.

Anyone into William Tyler should give Rorbin Allender's new album a listen. Amazing stuff. Still available on clear vinyl as well.

http://scissortail.bandcamp.com/album/foxes-in-the-foyer

Yes ! Gave this a listen the other day and it completely blew me away. So vulnerable sounding, very introspective. Kranky doesn't ever really disappoint. I was glad to find that she has released quite a few albums that one can look up.

Reminiscent of Birds Of Passage (on Denovali) so definitely give that a listen, as well.

Also, haven't noticed Barn Owl (or any of the other moniker's that Jon Porras and Evan Caminiti go by) being discussed around here so I must say that all their albums are ridiculously good. To me, there is not a single bad album they've made and they must have released 20+ between the two of them. The best way to describe their work might be primitive (in a natural world/civilization sense) sounding and extremely evocative. Very much along the same lines of Liz Harris' work.

Elm is Jon Porras' project, Painted Caves is Evan Caminiti's project and they both also release albums under their own names. Porras also dabbles with ambient dub on his recent album, if anyone's into that sort of deal. Most of their stuff is more folkish and drone.

Another really good ambient dub artist is Emily Griffiths who goes by both Alteria Percepsyne and Glossata. Dark, hypnotizing atmospheres.

http://alteriapercepsyne.bandcamp.com/album/cloaks-of-perception-cd1

Okay I'm done.

Also, haven't noticed Barn Owl (or any of the other moniker's that Jon Porras and Evan Caminiti go by) being discussed around here so I must say that all their albums are ridiculously good. To me, there is not a single bad album they've made and they must have released 20+ between the two of them. The best way to describe their work might be primitive (in a natural world/civilization sense) sounding and extremely evocative. Very much along the same lines of Liz Harris' work.

Elm is Jon Porras' project, Painted Caves is Evan Caminiti's project and they both also release albums under their own names. Porras also dabbles with ambient dub on his recent album, if anyone's into that sort of deal. Most of their stuff is more folkish and drone.

Another really good ambient dub artist is Emily Griffiths who goes by both Alteria Percepsyne and Glossata. Dark, hypnotizing atmospheres.

http://alteriapercepsyne.bandcamp.com/album/cloaks-of-perception-cd1

Okay I'm done.

Can't second this enough. Jon Porras and Evan Caminiti are extremely talented and consistently put out great albums, both as their solo projects and as Barn Owl. They are probably my favorite duo out there.

I really like the direction they are taking with their recent albums and using more of the dark electronic elements. Those dudes know how to create atmosphere.  

Anyone seen the Revisitor DVD Jon Porras put out? It's a great visual interpretation of their sound.

No, but I sure wish I did. After getting very into Tunnel Blanket, I found it hard to listen to their earlier stuff. It's among my all time favourite albums. An abolutely amazing listen at night through headphones. So isolating. Here's to hoping the new album brings more of the same.

Their guitarist Christopher Royal King released a solo album titlet Online Architecture under the alias Symbol. Yet to listen to it but from what I've gathered it's not very close to TWDY's sound. I reckon it's worth checking out either way.

I never really cared for post-rock in general (except for 65dos and Maybeshewill) and I thought TWDY were just like the same shit that has been hyped in the last couple of years. Then I was listening to Tunnel Blanket, which didn't blow me right away, but I grew to love it after some time. That being said, their earlier stuff doesn't do anything for me.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/05/08/leyland-kirby-drops-free-40-track-album-we-drink-to-forget-the-coming-storm/

http://leylandkirby.bandcamp.com/album/we-drink-to-forget-the-coming-storm

^ Free 40 track album dropped for free by Leyland Kirby (V/VM, Leyland Kirby, The Caretaker, The Stranger) in honor of his 40th birthday.

Hello Ambient & Experimental.

I love strange stuff like Nurse With Wound, Contrastate and Current 93, but I'm not that much into the genre. If anyone could give me something in the style of "Homotopy To Marie" or "Who Can I Turn To Stereo" by Nurse With Wound I would be forever grateful.

I'll hand you guys some drones/dark ambient/ambient/field recordings, which I am completely in love with. If you like that stuff and haven't tried some of these, listen to them!

Thomas Köner
Biosphere
Hiroki Sasajima
Jacob Kirkegaard
Oren Ambarchi
Stars Of The Lid

Hello Ambient & Experimental.

I love strange stuff like Nurse With Wound, Contrastate and Current 93, but I'm not that much into the genre. If anyone could give me something in the style of "Homotopy To Marie" or "Who Can I Turn To Stereo" by Nurse With Wound I would be forever grateful.

I'll hand you guys some drones/dark ambient/ambient/field recordings, which I am completely in love with. If you like that stuff and haven't tried some of these, listen to them!

Thomas Köner

Biosphere

Hiroki Sasajima

Jacob Kirkegaard

Oren Ambarchi

Stars Of The Lid

Love Kohner and Ambarchi.

Ever check out Troum or Maeori Tri?

http://www.factmag.com/2014/05/08/leyland-kirby-drops-free-40-track-album-we-drink-to-forget-the-coming-storm/

http://leylandkirby.bandcamp.com/album/we-drink-to-forget-the-coming-storm

^ Free 40 track album dropped for free by Leyland Kirby (V/VM, Leyland Kirby, The Caretaker, The Stranger) in honor of his 40th birthday.

Good call rooks! Thanks for the heads up on this one. 

Cholly... say it ain't so.

I fully admit that Young Mountain is cliché post-rock at its finest, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.  The self-titled... I was pretty "meh" about for the longest time.  But there's something about the somberness of that album that I just love.  Though that wasn't made apparent until recently, actually.  It's got a melancholic charm that I just can't say no to.  And Tunnel Blanket was such a sucker-punch... I don't know.  I was a huge fan, though not immediately.  Really can't wait to hear where they go next.

Cholly... say it ain't so.

I fully admit that Young Mountain is cliché post-rock at its finest, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.  The self-titled... I was pretty "meh" about for the longest time.  But there's something about the somberness of that album that I just love.  Though that wasn't made apparent until recently, actually.  It's got a melancholic charm that I just can't say no to.  And Tunnel Blanket was such a sucker-punch... I don't know.  I was a huge fan, though not immediately.  Really can't wait to hear where they go next.

This reply just reminded me, and you pinpointed just about everything. Young Mountain was such a cliche that its so off putting. I read an interview that TWDY had done years ago where they mentioned that they were embarrassed they released that. I wouldn't go that far, as I enjoyed it a little bit, but I just cant get past the silliness of it. s/t was more interesting as we now were witness to their progression. Layered, textured...it carried emotion..for the first time. Tunnel Blanket...oh man. IMHO was pure laziness. I bought that faster than a piece of cake hitting the floor at fat camp and played it and just gouged my eyes out. Yes, my eyes.

For curiosity, I'll listen to their next album, but unless its a stunner...im a doner.