Sunn O))) - Black One (Repress)

According to O'Malleys Twitter:

NOW PLAYING: SUNN O))) "BLACK ONE" VINYL REISSUE TEST PRESSING. SOUNDS MASSIVE, EVIL. AVAIL NOV 2013 ON SOUTHERN LORD

Southern Lord Facebookpage:

sunn 0)))- Black One LP repress/reissue test pressings are approved! Darkness is around the bend....

I doubt that...it's Southern Lord  :rolleyes:

Haha, they've gotten a little better!  I usually don't mind SL's prices because their packing is top notch and heavy duty.  Monoliths and Dimensions is a perfect example.  It was a little pricy, but I was really impressed with everything about that release.  The price tag stings a little less since they hold their value pretty well too.  :D

Ok, that's true. I always love their artwork, the "heavyness" and thickness etc.. Best example for a label with relatively high prices (at least here in Europe), shitty packaging and not even including DL-codes is KRANKY. It's a fucking shame because they have so many great releases.

Anyway, back to topic

According to O'Malleys Twitter:

NOW PLAYING: SUNN O))) "BLACK ONE" VINYL REISSUE TEST PRESSING. SOUNDS MASSIVE, EVIL. AVAIL NOV 2013 ON SOUTHERN LORD

Mine is the grey wax version but it always sounded weak, it's got pops all around it. Hopefully this one will sound better and do this great album some justice.

I didn't know there were so many sound issues with the first pressing! I love the sound of the Rehearsal Demo...I have to give it a spin today.

Also, kind of funny to see people complain about "noise" on a Sunn O))) record but I guess noise, pops and clicks can especially ruin the first half of Bathory. 

Also, kind of funny to see people complain about "noise" on a Sunn O))) record but I guess noise, pops and clicks can especially ruin the first half of Bathory. 

It takes you out of the record really quickly.  I picked up a used copy of Monoliths and Dimensions that had a scratch on one side that clicked every time it hit the needle, it was very distracting.  I ended up taking it back.  But I agree with you, it is pretty amusing!

Rehearsal Demo is fantastic, it's done a great job keeping me content until a new LP comes out.

It takes you out of the record really quickly.  I picked up a used copy of Monoliths and Dimensions that had a scratch on one side that clicked every time it hit the needle, it was very distracting.  I ended up taking it back.  But I agree with you, it is pretty amusing!

Rehearsal Demo is fantastic, it's done a great job keeping me content until a new LP comes out.

Yeah, of course! I still have to get Monoliths. Actually I've never listened to this album but the bits and pieces I heard sounded really interesting.

When I first heard about a Sunn Rehearsal Demo I was really skeptical but it turned out pretty great. Especially the first song!

Yeah, of course! I still have to get Monoliths. Actually I've never listened to this album but the bits and pieces I heard sounded really interesting.

When I first heard about a Sunn Rehearsal Demo I was really skeptical but it turned out pretty great. Especially the first song!

Check out Monoliths, I'll think you'll like it.  That album and The Grimmrobe Demos are my two favorite releases by the band.

If I recall right, their whole discography is streaming on their bandcamp.  There's quite a bit to dig through.

Well, you can blame MP3s and the CD 'cause I've listened to this album so many times in those formats that the overall (lack) of sound quality of the vinyl version was clearly noticed when I first spinned it. It's one of those albums that it's somehow carved in my ears so I can easily get disturbed by that version . You can clean it as much as you feel like but there's no way it will surpass those issues.

Packaging, on the other hand, is top notch.

Check out Monoliths, I'll think you'll like it.  That album and The Grimmrobe Demos are my two favorite releases by the band.

If I recall right, their whole discography is streaming on their bandcamp.  There's quite a bit to dig through.

Thanks for the advice, man! Listening to Monoliths right now. I'm really enjoying it, especially Hunting & Gathering! But I kinda miss Malefic's voice.

Thanks for the advice, man! Listening to Monoliths right now. I'm really enjoying it, especially Hunting & Gathering! But I kinda miss Malefic's voice.

H&G is my favorite song from that record. And the live version which can (or can't actually) be found on that Agharhi LP is outstanding. Raw and heavy. For some reason, Monoliths is kinda of a contradiction: its full of great and adventurous ideas but some of them came out too overproduced, sometimes it sounds like they were losing their focus. I definitely prefer the way that album was played live instead of the studio.

Black One is killer. I have this on grey vinyl, as well as the picture disc version of it. White 1 and White 2 are great too, but different. I think White 2 is my favorite of these. I still have that White Box Set they put out a while back - anyone else have that?

If you haven't heard Monoliths - it is great, especially the track "Alice".

Black One is killer. I have this on grey vinyl, as well as the picture disc version of it. White 1 and White 2 are great too, but different. I think White 2 is my favorite of these. I still have that White Box Set they put out a while back - anyone else have that?

If you haven't heard Monoliths - it is great, especially the track "Alice".

I've been wanting that box set for quite a while, I don't think I've ever seen it for a reasonable price sadly.  I'd love it if Live White made it to vinyl some day too.