Question about DGC Pallas pressed Nirvana Nevermind.

I'm really sorry if this has already been asked but I searched and found no definitive answer.

I just purchased a copy of Nirvana's Nevermind the other day and I'm wondering if its considered one of the 'good' pressings. No reissue date on back, just says 1991 Geffen records, distributed by universal music distribution. It has the dgc and subpop logos on it.

The front has a silver sticker with a picture of a ancient roman gladiator head on it that says 'Pallas audiophile quality. 180 g VINYL pressed in Germany' barcode is 7 20642 44251 7 . Can I open this up and feel ok about it or wait and try and snag an ORG version?

I'm really sorry if this has already been asked but I searched and found no definitive answer.

I just purchased a copy of Nirvana's Nevermind the other day and I'm wondering if its considered one of the 'good' pressings. No reissue date on back, just says 1991 Geffen records, distributed by universal music distribution. It has the dgc and subpop logos on it.

The front has a silver sticker with a picture of a ancient roman gladiator head on it that says 'Pallas audiophile quality. 180 g VINYL pressed in Germany' barcode is 7 20642 44251 7 . Can I open this up and feel ok about it or wait and try and snag an ORG version?

I'd listen to it

This is the new 2013 re-release.  I haven't seen any conversations where it's been determined if it's using the 20th anniversary remaster or using the ORG plates or whatever.  The 20th anniversary master wasn't made widely available on single LP (outside of a UK retailer exclusive, according to Discogs).  Maybe check the deadwax for some mastering engineer's initials, or any other markings in common with the 20th ann. remaster.  I only have a German original and early 2000's '320' however so someone else will have to jump in with comparison markings.

FYI, you can search Amazon by UPC

http://www.amazon.com/Nevermind-Nirvana/dp/B0000088DC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377851226&sr=8-1&keywords=0720642442517

I decided to open it. What' am I looking for on the dead wax? Regardless it sounds pretty damn great. I'm assuming its the original master as there is absolutely nothing noted on it regarding a remaster. I don't have the ORG Bernie remix to compare it to, but I'm pretty happy with the quality so I won't lose sleep over it.

Saw they had so e ORG in utero's still in stock though. I have the 3 disc remaster for preorder on amazon and at first figured I'd cancel and just order the ORG copy, but most everyone seems to think the 3 disc will be remastered correctly. What do you guys think?

In the deadwax youd be looking for intials which would indicate who cut the laquer. If it was cut from an original master tape it would say so on a hype sticker, they know people look for that.

From what I have heard of the nevermind anniversary version vinyl, it was inferior to the ORG and I don't doubt it. The 3 disc will be nice for the bonus stuff, but I'm the sure the ORG will sound better.

http://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nevermind/release/4175725

This version was also pressed at Pallas. Check your record, and see how the deadwax info compares. Considering they were pressed at the same plant, they could have used the same metals, which mean the two would be identical, which means, as I said, you're fine. Interested to see what you find.

http://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nevermind/release/4175725

This version was also pressed at Pallas. Check your record, and see how the deadwax info compares. Considering they were pressed at the same plant, they could have used the same metals, which mean the two would be identical, which means, as I said, you're fine. Interested to see what you find.

Pretty sure this is the version. Barcode matches perfectly. And seems it is a Bernie master. 

http://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nevermind/release/4819086

Mostly sure because i found this in the liner notes.

gruman2.jpg

And so faint it took me several inspections to finally see it, the BG etched in the dead wax.

gruman.jpg

Really does soind fantastic. Still not sure what to do about the In Utero. $25 is definitely the nicer price for the ORG version, but I really want that 3rd disc in the 20th aniversary edition.