Newbie Question about upgrade

Hey guys, so I'm new here and i am hoping for your help.

A bit of background: So i was never really into vinyl until recently when my grandfather passed away and left me his collection (without a turntable...idk what happened to it ) Anyway i bought a shitty crosely  from target just to kind of listen to his records and try to understand his obsession. Long story short, the crosely is not working out, at all.

Now i'm really into listening to vinyl and was wondering what you'd suggest as an upgrade. I'm really into the minimalist setup. I was wondering what you guys thought about the Pro-ject Debut Carbon paired with Audioengine A2 powered speakers.

I read on Turntable Lab that the carbon has built in preamp and that the Audioengine A2 has an amplifier built in :blink: (whatever that means) . So am I missing anything, or will this do for a beginner looking for a simple setup?

I'd say it's better if you go with the regular Carbon and a separate phono stage.

But the setup you mentioned (Carbon with Audioengine A2) is a really great budget option. I'm sure you're aware that you cannot expect very high volume levels from this setup, but sound quality will be as good as it gets at that price. Though if you still want a minimalist set and can go higher price-wise, there are some really amazing options as well. But generally, for a lower budget a table/phono/active speakers combo is the way to go in my opinion.

Hey man, when I first signed up here I found this thread to be quite helpful. It should cover about any question you have. It is very well written and highly informative. 

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/

Apart from actually giving you a crash course in some basic knowledge it also lists suggestions for things like turntables, preamps, etc.. 

Hopefully this helps bro! :)