The design thread

graphic designers, web designers, whoever.

at my job, we work 3 consecutive months at 40 hours a week. The month after, we work 60+ hours. So basically we have 8 normal months a year, and 4 crazy ones. It’s weird and complicated to explain, but right now I’m in the beginning of one of those long months.

so I will probably be in here a lot.

anyone have one of those stand-up desks? I want one. Sitting all day blows.

we have summer hours from memorial day to labor day.

9 hour days from m-t then a half day on friday.

we have forced fun...some bar or venue around the city...with a certain budget. drink fest.

no one here has the stand up desks...but the weird part is we do have showers. right next to the kitchen. its weird. (a lot of peeps ride bikes in)

ill heat up a hot pocket as someone is in the stall washing their junk.

What kind of design company or firm do you work for, if you don't mind me asking?

credit union advertising. we work with credit unions around the country building their brand and designing promotions for them. We do all the printing here also, which is an awesome thing to witness. I don’t know how many of you have seen a 4 color press before, but that thing is terrifying.

I still get crazy nervous before I send something to press. Especially larger quantity things. The last mailer i did went out to over 30,000 people. One text error on it... and we lose a ton of money.

Dang, that's intense.  I'm a fickler for spotting typos in "professional" adverts or magazines.  I've always wondered if there was a serious penalty for that, if they just shrug and find a new editor.  Is it more a fear of typos, or the arrangement / setup of the text?

mostly typos. We go back and forth with the client and always get final approval from them, but either way, if something goes out with an error, someone is pissed and someone is losing money on re-prints.

I had an English professor who said he could go through any published book and find a minimum of ten errors. that's crazy to me.

Do people still use dafont.com? That site was golden in my HTML glory days.

it's mainly what we use around here. fontsquirrel is popular too.

Those sites can't really be trusted for quality fonts. The signal to noise ratio is just way too high.

Lost Type co-op and You Work for Them have more quality fonts and reasonable prices.

Absolutely. I can barely go a day without seeing Wisdom Script on something though; The downfall of the pay-what-you-want font.

Man, I would love to be able to buy fonts. we are highly encouraged to never ever pay for fonts, and use lots of stock images. It's not very fun.

this woman shows up in a lot of my thinkstock image searches. Search for 'house' and there she is. I hate it

16az8fl.png

Stock images has to be nearly the worst part of your job. I don't mind Myriad Pro so much, I've never used it, but I can hang. 

As long as you have a handful of weights anything can look alright I suppose. 

Can't believe none of you nerds have Brandon Grotesque. Does Typekit have a photoshop plug-in yet?