Arcade Fire - Reflektor

this is a review from AF's sudden show in Montreal last night.  Band members just dancing with fans after the show and brought out an iPhone shaped pinata for fans to smash.

Damn that must have been awesome

and an even better review by Stereogum - http://www.stereogum.com/1466661/report-from-arcade-fires-surprise-show-at-montreals-salsatheque-9913/concert/

You guys weren't kidding about brutal shipping. 16.59 to ship to me in California. Not sure if paying an extra 13 bucks for this record is worth the potential "first access" to show tickets. 

Anyone part of their First Access program get presale codes for their last tour? 

I believe the tour for The Suburbs didn't require you to buy anything to get presale access... they just had a presale for fanclub members (all you had to do was sign up for the email list) through their own site before it went up on Ticketmaster.  But the seats for the presale were definitely the best ones. Right up front.  And because it wasn't through ticketmaster, the service fees were lower.

My guess is that's its on 2 CDs because the vinyl is on 2 LPs and they want to replicate that as much as possible.

The last album had the CDs burned from the vinyl master. Maybe they are doing that here and taking it to the next logical step.

Yeah but the Suburbs was on one CD. Single itself is almost 8 minutes long soooo... 90 minute album :P

I think their POV is, CDs are insanely cheap to make now, why not mimic the LP design even more and make 2 CDs like we have 2 LPs. Win just said that he views the music as 2 halves, so they are making the CD portion reflect that as well.

Maybe it does take 2 CDs to contain all the music for this album, but that makes me worry about the quality of the LP version (as compared to the great job they did with the Neon Bible and Suburbs LPs).

I believe the tour for The Suburbs didn't require you to buy anything to get presale access... they just had a presale for fanclub members (all you had to do was sign up for the email list) through their own site before it went up on Ticketmaster.  But the seats for the presale were definitely the best ones. Right up front.  And because it wasn't through ticketmaster, the service fees were lower.

Okay thanks for that. I saw them at the Greek in Berkeley (back to back nights), where there isn't any assigned seating. Assuming they will be doing a stadium tour, as we expect, then it may be worthwhile to get some good seats. 

It was confirmed

"Last night the band began taking pre-orders, and confirmed it is a double album with artwork inspired by Greek mythology, above ... Butler said they had written 50 or 60 songs, which were then redefined. The songs ... are longer than past material, including several stretching seven minutes, thus the double album."

"'[it] made more sense to stretch it out to two records,' Butler explained, adding, 'I never wanted to be in a band that could never play whatever music we wanted to.'"

$19.98 for a double-LP is pretty good these days.  Especially for the high quality vinyl that they will probably put out.  I've seen new vinyl single LPs selling for $20+ because the margins just aren't what they used to be.  Still, shipping is a bitch...  They should have put a card in each vinyl package with a unique ticket pre-sale code, so local record stores would still be a part of it and fans wouldn't have to pay absurd shipping costs.

Very cool interview with Arcade Fire's Win Butler on BBC Radio with Zane Lowe.  The Arcade fire section starts at 1:02:54. After an introduction and interview section, they play the single, “Reflektor,” then the interview resumes at 1:10:54 and concludes at 1:19:16:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039p7kr

"It's longer than The Suburbs, it's a double record.  Mostly down to the fact that the songs are a lot longer. I mean, Reflektor is 7 and a half.  There is another couple 7 minute songs on the record, and so it made sense to do 2 records.  It's really 2 distinct sides.  It's a classic double-LP kind of vibe, where you have to flip the side and it takes you to another place."

ALL ABOUT THE VINYL!  I LOVE IT!