Ever have a lucky day?

I'm having more of an unlucky weekend. In the past couple months, I've spent just about every cent of my paycheck on records. After what I need to survive, of course. But I'm in Chicago for the weekend and have visited several of my favorite record stores in the area, and I haven't bought a damn thing. I just feel like I've bought so many that I don't know what to get when I'm in a record store.

I'm having more of an unlucky weekend. In the past couple months, I've spent just about every cent of my paycheck on records. After what I need to survive, of course. But I'm in Chicago for the weekend and have visited several of my favorite record stores in the area, and I haven't bought a damn thing. I just feel like I've bought so many that I don't know what to get when I'm in a record store.

I plan on making a pilgrimage to Chicago to do some digging.  I hope I am luckier than you have been.

A few weeks after going back to college last year I went to a record store to see what they'd gotten since I'd been gone. Got the spray-painted preorder cover of Racebannon's first album (limited to 60) and the Combatwoundedveteran/Reversal of Man split for $10 each. I'd been after that CWV split for a long time, and I was shocked to find it for that cheap.

Made a big order with In Vinyl We Trust when he was closing up shop. Among other things, I ordered Eric Copeland's "Get Along" and No Friends's full-length, but got EC's "Car Alarm" and NF's "Traditional Failures" instead, respectively. Emailed IVWT, got the records I ordered quickly and didn't have to send back the ones I got in error. Also ordered the Rosetta/Junius split, but that didn't arrive and when I emailed him he said that was definitely out of stock. He offered to throw in the latest Godspeed You! Black Emperor album instead which I was more than happy to take. So on top of the already cheap records I got two for free, and the Godspeed album for I think $10.

Ordered Sissy Spacek's "Contretemps" from Post-Present Medium about six months after it came out and managed to get one of the pink cover/vinyl versions, which is limited to 35. One of my favorite releases of last year. Lost my mind when I opened it.

Also was one of the lucky guys to get the green vinyl version of Algernon Cadwallader's last album in the preorder, which is cool because I've never seen it for sale.

i was given a first press of tell all your friends for free. i'm still puzzled by that one

it's in northampton, ma. there's been a used shop there for years, and a newbury comics went in literally across the street a few years ago.

When Main Street Records still existed, Northampton was my favorite town in Mass. to shop for records. Dynamite still gets some solid stuff, but you have to search for it.

• 1 month later...

My only lucky record day was an OG copy of Cursive - Domestica on red a few years before the repress. I got it for $15 from an amazon seller, when it was going closer to $100 on ebay.

i finally got around to picking up You Blew It's lp from them at the Fest in Gainesville last weekend.  The merch girl asked if I wanted maroon or black and i said maroon.  Later that night I opened it and not only was it a black copy, but it was the /30 "Punk is Dead, I Got a Job" variant they had on tour with them over the summer.  Total score.

I live in asmall rural college town in Virginia. I walked into our small local goodwill on day and found Touche Amore's - TTBOADH 1st press on black/200 for $1. It was like the 2nd record I ever bought. Really pissed at myself for selling that.

Seriously, if I could find something like this instead of loads of Christmas albums, that would be great.

After 10 years of waiting to buy a Surf Nazis Must Die-Anti Everything 7"at a reasonable price(they go for $40-$60), found 2 copies within a week for $5 each in the used bin. Both were different versions, different covers, inserts, both had the "How to fuck this record" insert. This was the first: 

10747141713_8ee469b903_n.jpg

Then a few days later I found a copy (called the "Sieg Hiel, Count XLarsX edition") that's numbered, screen printed front and back and limited to 100(though this one is blank where there is supposed to be a #. Says "No. ___ of 100 copies ARSCHLOCH!!" This version is hard to find with all the stuff included(patch,pin) but it had everything. Didn't look like anyone had played it or taken it out of the sleeve. I told the owner what its worth and that I'd pay more, but he declined:

10746828565_089efa5f87_n.jpg

Ten years of searching leads to one magical week.

Once when I was travelling I bid on a copy of '2 New Songs of Mount Eerie' before I left my friend's apartment (unable to bid at the final minute due to a lack of wifi) and was delighted to return and find that I'd won the copy for $8. Furthermore it was the original pressing in a hand painted sleeve by Phil Elverum! 

b8cb6110-1107-48d0-aae7-2d1c32157d48_zps

I got a call today from a guy that I bought a record collection from a few weeks ago.  He said his friend had a massive collection that he wanted to sell also.  Apparently his friend has about 2,000 records and wants $100 for them.  This is either going to be insanely lucky or I'll be throwing away a lot of classical/Christmas records.  :D

I bought STP's Core on what was supposed to be the clear/#'d version from a seller on ebay. I received the black/non #'d version yesterday. I immediately contacted the seller to return it. Today I woke up to a full refund and he told me to keep the record. 

Wow that is really cool