PO: Bon Iver - S/T & Emma, Forever Ago Repress

a little bit off topic here but... I once (on this board somewhere) saw someone post a translucent orange version of Emma. does anyone know much about that? I think that person said they got it in the UK..

PS I will buy both of these represses.

That guy from that vinyl word site is the one that i saw had the orange. Was only in UK as someone mentioned. Been trying to get my hands on that for a while now..

Hm. Discogs has no sign of that actually existing.

yeah I mean I remember seeing the picture of it and I have been after it ever since..

discogs.. I mean if it's limited to 50 then maybe no one ever made a listing for it ..

I bought an LP last night from 95 that was a semi known indie band and the limited version wasn't listed on discogs (and it was /200)

I preordered For Emma back when it first came out, it came with a lion poster limited to 100 or so... Wish it wasn't folded in the cover, and I am dying that they didn't offer a limited something else initially!

There are yellow copies that are USA promos limited to 50! So maybe the orange are the promos for uk!

Thanks for the heads up. I never bought the original versions due to their terrible rep, so I'm hoping these improve on SQ. And if they don't, I can probably sell them away for at least my original cost. (Just checked Discogs, the red UO version of Bon Iver is going for $40 and up right now.)

I just did a quick A/B between the vinyl and digital (320) version. The vinyl version sound slightly better on my system, most likely because of the very noticeable treble roll-off, which actually helps with lo-fi recordings like this one. However, there is an insane amount of surface noise on the vinyl pressing. I bought it brand new, this is my third or fourth play-through. The only cleaning I did was a brush before and after each play, so I'll leave a chance that what I'm hearing is production residue. But honestly, it sounds like a very overused stamper/bad pressing in general.

Verdict: For my next listening session I'll opt for the digital version.

The black presses for these records sound terrible. Might get these

I was going to say.  I've heard the S/T on black that I borrowed from a friend and I thought it was just absolutely horrible sounding, very noisy.  I've read that For Emma also does not sound great on LP either.  That being said, I like Bon Iver's music a lot and I think I would definitely be in the market to buy if these reissues sounded better.

The terrible sound quality of the black vinyl isn't because of the pressing. The mastering of this album is terrible and compressed to all hell. The CD version sounds even worse than the black vinyl. I highly doubt a colored pressing will improve the sound quality.

My thoughts exactly. After all Justin Vernon did most of that recording in the woods, alone. If I remember correctly for some mini YouTube documentary about him, I believe he even mastered the record? Either way, it's lo-fi and warm which isn't bad, but people do have to raise the levels to listen.