PO: Bon Iver - S/T & Emma, Forever Ago Repress

Damn, that was quick. Kind of glad I didn't drop 25 bucks on this but at the same time...

Same here. I feel like the prices definitely deter me. It's cool to have time to decide but with that time I find myself not being interested enough to drop the cash... although, we all know these will be going for ridiculous prices soon enough -_-

Definitely not a bad purchase for those who snagged these!! I'll probably end up grabbing them in the future.

Can't wait to hear how they sound in comparison to the previous pressings!!

it was listed as "sold out" on the site, then they ended up doing BIN on ebay that gradually increased in price after release.

Yeah, I'm aware of the order of events. The point is that Newbury Comics themselves pulled the last few copies to sell at a markup. We're arguing semantics (although I'd agree with Thom Yorkified's wording of them selling for markup when they were "about to sell out"), but it's sort of a douchey thing to do as a retailer either way. 

Yeah, I'm aware of the order of events. The point is that Newbury Comics themselves pulled the last few copies to sell at a markup. We're arguing semantics (although I'd agree with Thom Yorkified's wording of them selling for markup when they were "about to sell out"), but it's sort of a douchey thing to do as a retailer either way.

When they first put them on eBay they were selling them for a couple dollars then it went up and up

Regardless, it was a bullshit thing to do

• 2 weeks later...

So they did exactly what they did with Volcano Choir release by putting left over copies on eBay. I emailed them about this since I missed the PO and knew they still had them in stock exactly for this stunt. Got no response from Newbury Comics. If you did miss out here ya go.

http://bit.ly/15FbKMb

I've always stayed away from buying Bon Iver vinyl due to the many (MANY) horror stories about the pressings, but I had to pull the trigger on the color variants. My honest assessment? Much better SQ than the CDs... Not as great as vinyl could sound. A lot of the problem is simply that the vinyl itself is low-grade and pretty noisy. Sounds like the mastering is fine but Jagjaguwar is cutting corners on the process. 

A good cleaning would probably improve both of these quite a bit. Neither is the disaster that is the "Beth/Rest" 12" single. (I picked one up used and it sounded AWFUL. Noisy and distorted on the high end. Contacted Jagjaguwar, got no response, wound up bringing it back to my store to exchange. Stay away from that one.)

• 2 weeks later...

The Newbury clear pressing of "For Emma.." i just received sounds just as bad as the black vinyl stories. Horribly sibilant and with a nasty wooshing/brushing noise (as many have reported about for the original presses on Discogs) on Side B.  This is the even *quieter* side of course so it becomes an out-of-rhythm instrument on every song arrangement for the album.

But.... it's clear. (sigh)

The Newbury clear pressing of "For Emma.." i just received sounds just as bad as the black vinyl stories. Horribly sibilant and with a nasty wooshing/brushing noise (as many have reported about for the original presses on Discogs) on Side B.  This is the even *quieter* side of course so it becomes an out-of-rhythm instrument on every song arrangement for the album.

But.... it's clear. (sigh)

I honestly don't think it has as much to do with the way the album was recorded as people think.  Truth be told, I've only heard the S/T black vinyl version that was previously released through a friend.  But from what I recall, it too was a horribly noisy record.  Noisy not due to anything on the recording but by the quality of the press.  The nasty wooshing/brushing noise is a sure sign of a shitty pressing, not a shitty recording.  Pity too, Bon Iver makes some beautiful music.  I'll stick with my digital copy.