Quitting Buying Records

I never understood why "quitting buying" necessarily has to mean "selling my entire collection." How about just show some restraint and pull back for a while?

Just my two cents.

This. Plus the only records going for $20 and up are from more main stream labels. Buy stuff from Top shelf. Awesome LP's for like $11

I like what everyone is saying here.  If you have records that are important to you, records you enjoy and have been stoked to have in your possession, why get rid of them?  Sure, stop buying records the minute they come out, revisit it when you feel like you can find prices you can justify.....or just do a little bit better digging, you can always find deals everywhere, online or in store.  There is a pretty good percentage of my collection at this point that I never would have dreamed I would find at the price that I did because I was patient / committed to the dig.

I never understood why "quitting buying" necessarily has to mean "selling my entire collection." How about just show some restraint and pull back for a while?

Just my two cents.

Maybe you've just gone a little overboard lately. We've all done it/continue to do it. Doesn't mean you need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Budget your money, have a set amount set aside for records. That will force you to think about what you are doing and buy only the albums you REALLY want while not adversely affecting your life in other ways. You don't need to quit and sell off your entire collection unless you really just don't want to own or collect records anymore.

I like what everyone is saying here. If you have records that are important to you, records you enjoy and have been stoked to have in your possession, why get rid of them? Sure, stop buying records the minute they come out, revisit it when you feel like you can find prices you can justify.....or just do a little bit better digging, you can always find deals everywhere, online or in store. There is a pretty good percentage of my collection at this point that I never would have dreamed I would find at the price that I did because I was patient / committed to the dig.

This is true

Just my two cents.

Because if you can't have ALL the records then you don't get to have ANY of the records!

I've certainly cut back on buying records because of the price hike. I've probably bought the same amount of records this entire year I would have bought in a two month span back in '08.

Yeah man. Since I started collecting records a few months ago, I've definitely gone overboard.

I've probably spent close to 2000 dollars between my set-up and my records. And I don't make a ton of money, that was eating out of my savings.

I justify it to myself because I don't go out to bars that often (I have a girlfriend, so I'd rather drink with friends at a house party or something) nor do I smoke cigarettes, so all that extra money my friends blow on those goods I put towards records. It isn't quite even ... but it helps me sleep at night lol

last week i stepped on a scale for the first time in about 6-8 months, which was right around the same time i really got back into buying vinyl. no joke, i've dropped 40 pounds, and it's definitely not from exercising more or juicing or anything like that. it's just because i'd rather spend my money on vinyl than food.

actually now that i think about it, that kind of sounds like something a heroin addict would say so maybe you're making the right choice

learn moderation or realize that you don't need a bunch of different colors of the same record

I sure as shit do not buy multiples of the same.  Not really knocking that if that's your thing.  But I am more than comfortable with a one and done.  That said, I buy what I can afford.  So moderation is obviously part of that equation.