Quitting Buying Records

To keep me from completely letting go of my entire collection, I'm in the process of compiling a list of all time favorite artists that I care to have their discographies along with truly "essential" albums from other artists.

Sublime, Incubus, Minus The Bear, and Dance Gavin Dance are my four elite musical inspirations that go above everyone else. Each band's entire catalog of albums is truly sacred to me.

After that, other bands release one "memorable" album or a few great records, but I don't love them to where I must own every record they made, let alone even own an album of theirs. This is where it is going to get tricky for me.

It's always good to check your priorities and re-evaluate frequently.  Don't make any rash decisions you'll regret later. A moratorium on buying doesn't mean a dictate to sell as others have said, and I think you backted this up, too.  Wish I had all my records (and TOPPS baseball cards) from the 1970s when I was a kid.

You're better off without your TOPPS cards from the 70s. I tried to unload baseball cards recently, and it seems that no collectors will pay for anything made after the 60s. Apparently people started hanging on to them again in the 70s. Plus, ebay really screwed up card collecting.

I never understood why "quitting buying" necessarily has to mean "selling my entire collection." How about just show some restraint and pull back for a while?

Just my two cents.

Yeah I had to do this. (Still selling some stuff, but holding onto what I prize most.) Way choosier about what I pick up now.

I did not buy more than a handful or records over the past 2 years, until one day I got bored at work and returned to the forums for the first time in a long time, and I've already bought 5 records. If you need to slow down, no need to quit and sell everything you have. You can always sell off variants or records you never listen to for some cash for records you really want.

When USPS announced the latest prices raises I knew that it would affect my impulse buying. At first it didn't sound good but after some months not caring about the multiplicity of new releases and the urge to buy them, it feels really good to deal with my hobby in a healthier way. Just sticked to those relevant albums that would actually visit my turntable and forgot about the rest.

Thanks, USPS.

I'm taking a break as well. Out of the last 8 records i've purchased, 7 of them arrived with damage to their outer sleeves.

These stores should know how to properly pack a record by now. It's just such a disappointment and i'm tired of being bummed out :(

I have had similar problems as well. My solution was to make a road trip to a big city and purchase most of my vinyl from an independent record store.

Paying the $4 to $8 for every record shipment really balances out to the same for me, in gas, if I only go every other month or so. If the jacket is beat to hell in the bin, I just don't buy it.

I just had to learn to curb down the "impulse buys" ;)

Yeah dude.  All those chicken-shit pansies with financial responsibilities and a lack of disposable income.  What a bunch of turds.

I say this as I'm thinking about how much I'll have to cut back due to buying a new house, engaged, etc.  Fucking responsibilities.  Tax evasion here I come!

I say this as I'm thinking about how much I'll have to cut back due to buying a new house, engaged, etc.  Fucking responsibilities.  Tax evasion here I come!

Real men liquidate all their other assets for vinyl.  I have faith that you'll make the right decisions.

But for real: like everyone said, there's zero shame in cutting back or putting purchases on pause.  Selling all your vinyl seems like a drastic move, though.

Real men liquidate all their other assets for vinyl.  I have faith that you'll make the right decisions.

But for real: like everyone said, there's zero shame in cutting back or putting purchases on pause.  Selling all your vinyl seems like a drastic move, though.

Totally a drastic move and I urge folks not to do it.  Thankfully I have a really good friend who talked me down from the "sell everything" tree quite a few times.  Of course I was in a difference place when I went through those phases but I'm glad I had someone to ground me so I didn't do it.  I'd feel like a total idiot if I had.  My record collection serves as an autobiography of the last 16 years of my life and at this point in my life I'll never let it go.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Yeah man. Since I started collecting records a few months ago, I've definitely gone overboard.

I've probably spent close to 2000 dollars between my set-up and my records. And I don't make a ton of money, that was eating out of my savings.

I justify it to myself because I don't go out to bars that often (I have a girlfriend, so I'd rather drink with friends at a house party or something) nor do I smoke cigarettes, so all that extra money my friends blow on those goods I put towards records. It isn't quite even ... but it helps me sleep at night lol

So what you're saying is if you never stopped going to bars and started smoking, you'd have more in your savings and be financially better off than you are now collecting records?