Labor Unions

jhook

They served a purpose in history, but i feel their time is over and they are unnecessary relics at this point.

they very much still have a pupose in society today, some more than others, but the idea that organizing a collective voice for workplace conditions, compensation, etc no longer serves a purpose is rather close minded.  not everyone has it great in our country, there are a lot of shitty jobs that are less shitty because of union-protection. 

I'm part of a union. we're connected to a print shop so I think it has more to do with that, but the designers are in it as well. I'm not heavily involved at all. I know $10.21 comes out of my paycheck every week for union dues. I know they write up our contract each year and are part of contract negotiations. I remember walking by the conference room last year during contract negotiations, boss was screaming at our art director. I guess he thought we asked for waaaaaay to much. We ended up getting a few of the things we asked for. Overall I think we are well taken care of by our union.

I'm part of a union. we're connected to a print shop so I think it has more to do with that, but the designers are in it as well. I'm not heavily involved at all. I know $10.21 comes out of my paycheck every week for union dues. I know they write up our contract each year and are part of contract negotiations. I remember walking by the conference room last year during contract negotiations, boss was screaming at our art director. I guess he thought we asked for waaaaaay to much. We ended up getting a few of the things we asked for. Overall I think we are well taken care of by our union.

what union represents your employees? 

im 2 months away from getting my masters in labor relations, studied a lot of labor/employee rights law and contract crap.  unions just completely fascinate me!  I was a member of the UFCW for 3 years in college and I worked for PennDot as a seasonal worker, but was unable to join the union, but worked with union employees for two summers as well.  havent been in a union environment since then, but ive been working with young adults who have been getting jobs and joining unions (IBEW, Teamsters, USW, IUOE) so thats been a good time

like most things in the world, there are pros and cons. good ones and bad ones.

This. I worked as a janitor in a few different high schools for a few years, then as an school aide. One union was way more helpful than the other. My main problem is with seniority, and the older some people are with some union jobs the more useless they are and are hard to fire. That said, they are also necessary to avoid a new superior (boss, manager, chancellor etc) coming into a picture and wanting to clean house or abuse workers just because. 

This. I worked as a janitor in a few different high schools for a few years, then as an school aide. One union was way more helpful than the other. My main problem is with seniority, and the older some people are with some union jobs the more useless they are and are hard to fire. That said, they are also necessary to avoid a new superior (boss, manager, chancellor etc) coming into a picture and wanting to clean house or abuse workers just because. 

this is pretty much my only issue with unions as well.

I know. Seniority helps people who have been working for X years from losing their jobs because they want cheaper labor vs experience. The older janitors I worked with mostly did their part. The older school aides were mostly useless and incompetent. It is what it is. I am generally supportive of unions, but they're not perfect. Neither is anything really.

I am a custodian now at an elementary school. We are merged with the DPW. I agree with everything you posted.

National Conference of Firemen & Oilers, and no. They let the General Foreman and Superintendents walk all over us, yet gladly take their cut out of our paychecks on a regular basis.

We have to be unionized to work, I'm sure many of us would opt out if given the choice.

do you think your job would be better non-unionized?  serious question, not trolling or anything.  does the union provide you with the necessary equipment and protection on the job in your CBA?