Labor Unions

jhook

• 1 month later...

this job is awesome, mainly because its kept me off VC quiet a bit, but also bc im learning a ton about HR that I wasnt exposed to before  plus, the company is fucking amazing.

-tess, hows everything going?  probably going to still be awhile before you guys have a negotiated contract, right?  they just voted to approve union representation?

• 3 weeks later...

this job is awesome, mainly because its kept me off VC quiet a bit, but also bc im learning a ton about HR that I wasnt exposed to before plus, the company is fucking amazing.

-tess, hows everything going? probably going to still be awhile before you guys have a negotiated contract, right? they just voted to approve union representation?

Hey! We are about to vote for our negotiating team and then I'm hoping the negotiations will start ASAP. Things have actually gotten pretty bad since the union was voted in and I've changed my tune. I hope that this can instigate change.

• 5 months later...

I actually attended a union meeting recently and was clued into things I had no idea about. I never realized how big of a roll Congress and the President play into my wages, retirement, and benefits. I guess I was more dismissive because I saw the company fully screw over Union brothers and it felt like they didn't have a proper defense. I was oblivious to what an arbitration entails and what the company does to defend themselves against any blame in any incident.

Are your coworkers trying to unionize?

We're all already unionized. You can't work for the railroad if you're not apart of a union. On the mechanical side Labors and Mechanist are in the Firemen and Oilers Union, I'm not sure what Electricians are apart of. It also varies by your department. Right now our Union is worried because there is a chance whoever the next President is could push our retirement back by 5 years and readjust our medical benefits/wage increases. Since we're governed by the FRA and the railway plays a huge role in our county's economy we're kind of at their mercy. We're one of the few industries that can be denied to strike.

• 1 month later...

If you're in any kind of public sector union, or anything even resembling it (I'm looking at you, anything run as a private business under direct control of the government), you're pretty much shit outta luck in most places these days.

Oh hey everybody. My company transferred me to a location with a different local, so I lost my job as a business agent. As stressful as that job was, I really miss it.