Labor Unions

jhook

thats because government employees are not allowed to go on strike.  its how Reagan fired everyone who was an air traffic controller in 1981 for going on Strike.  they're not given the full use of bargaining rights that private sector employees have, even wages if im not mistaken, cant be bargained.  just work condition and protection from termination and other various benefits.

I fully understand. Not accusing them of not trying or doing a bad job with what is available to them. Just saying, not sure what I am paying union dues for. It's white collar work. Union or not, I don't expect my employer to ask me to work 4 hours over unpaid or to turn the thermostat down to 50 degrees to save heat. Just don't see the point (looking only at myself, selfishly).

I fully understand. Not accusing them of not trying or doing a bad job with what is available to them. Just saying, not sure what I am paying union dues for. It's white collar work. Union or not, I don't expect my employer to ask me to work 4 hours over unpaid or to turn the thermostat down to 50 degrees to save heat. Just don't see the point (looking only at myself, selfishly).

oh I understand, not trying to accuse you of anything, but most people are unaware of the difference between private and federal unionization, government unionization is really only about ensuring job security, imo.  are you exempt/non-exempt if you dont mind me asking.

oh I understand, not trying to accuse you of anything, but most people are unaware of the difference between private and federal unionization, government unionization is really only about ensuring job security, imo.  are you exempt/non-exempt if you dont mind me asking.

Not sure exactly what the difference is. I have a choice whether to be in the union or not. Whether I pay dues or not, they are required to represent me. When I hired in, I thought that paying the dues was the right thing to do. 6 months in, though, and I've never heard of anyone needing union representation, have never met my union rep, etc. All the bosses are level headed and cool. Low stress work environment. No one gets disciplined or bitched out ever. Just not sure I even need a union.

They aren't having an impact on the pay rate. Congress has that pretty well under control as well. The biggest factor on our pay is just whether at some point the difference between private industry and government gets too large and people start jumping ship. Congress seems to keep it right on the borderline (which is probably the right move).

Not sure exactly what the difference is. I have a choice whether to be in the union or not. Whether I pay dues or not, they are required to represent me. When I hired in, I thought that paying the dues was the right thing to do. 6 months in, though, and I've never heard of anyone needing union representation, have never met my union rep, etc. All the bosses are level headed and cool. Low stress work environment. No one gets disciplined or bitched out ever. Just not sure I even need a union.

between exempt/non exempt?  one is salary positions (exempt; which means they dont have to adhere to overtime/workweek rates, etc detailed by NLRA) the other is hourly pay (non-exempt, any position that pays by the hour is required to pay OT for over 40 hrs in a work week)

well i look at union dues like my medical insurance or auto insurance, I pay in to it in the case that I suddenly need help.  if you have questions as your union steward about the benefits of the union (you'll get your fair share of union support from them).  michigan just became right to work, which is why you have the option of not paying union dues but still getting the benefits of the union.  it makes it incredibly difficult for unions to operate in RTW states because they are funded primarily from union dues.  

Yeah, that was the question. I'm salaried.

I'm about 90% sure (even though I didn't work there at the time) that the employees where I work always had the choice to join or not before we went right-to-work. I get the impact it has on others, though.

gotcha!  so working OT doesnt matter because youre expected, being salary, to work as much as needed to complete your task, whether its 30 hours or 60 hours, a week.

• 4 months later...

Thinking of applying to UFCW as a business agent now. I'm hoping that will be a lot better, but the thing is, most of their members work at Meijer, and I'm not too keen on that. I may just try to do it to pick up whatever political work I can through the rest of the year, and because the position will cover Ann Arbor, and I've been considering moving there for a while.

I really don't have much to offer but a lot of on-the-job experience. I've been a retail department manager for years, a shop steward, I've served on a bargaining committee, and I have like 6 months of experience as an associate rep at a different retailer. I currently service six stores. So...here's hoping that will be worthwhile when they have other agents with fancy degrees from MSU. Haha.

Thinking of applying to UFCW as a business agent now. I'm hoping that will be a lot better, but the thing is, most of their members work at Meijer, and I'm not too keen on that. I may just try to do it to pick up whatever political work I can through the rest of the year, and because the position will cover Ann Arbor, and I've been considering moving there for a while.

I really don't have much to offer but a lot of on-the-job experience. I've been a retail department manager for years, a shop steward, I've served on a bargaining committee, and I have like 6 months of experience as an associate rep at a different retailer. I currently service six stores. So...here's hoping that will be worthwhile when they have other agents with fancy degrees from MSU. Haha.

haha, MSU, I looked at their ILR grad program a couple years ago, and if you're applying on the union side your experience as a steward, bargaining and experience as a member trumps some 24 year old coming out of college with only book knowledge.  thats just from my experience at least. 

I was a UFCW member for 3 years in college (10 years ago), and I wish I was more active with the union when I was working there

• 3 months later...

Our organizing director was stoked to get my résumé, but apparently they had a few people in the pipeline to be hired. He said he'd keep it close at hand, though.

So this is still just a part-time gig for me. Between both jobs I have never worked this much in my life, and the rewarding and fun parts have been kind of few and far between. To be honest, right now, I feel like more of a political foot soldier than anything. We have outings to amusement parks and baseball games and stuff coming up, so I guess selling people on that stuff is fun, too.

you guys follow the SCOTUS ruling on Monday (Harris v. Quinn) that wasnt Hobby Lobby?  

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/07/harris-v-quinn-symposium-decision-will-affect-workers-limit-states-ability-to-effectively-manage-their-workforces/

creating yet another way to undermine union efforts...  I get why the HL ruling is such a big deal, but this is just as big of one within the labor sector.

I can see both sides to the argument.  They were sorely needed at one time, but it has gotten out of hand.  The real truth is there is a middle ground.  Is there a necessity for Unions?  Probably, but in some instances they have become so powerful, that now they are the ones doing the bullying.  I have been in a public service union, and really, it did little to nothing for me.  In some instances, it hurt me, as I would have otherwise been able to get promotions, raises, etc that I couldn't get due to the union.  When I asked them for help a couple of times, they weren't able to help.  Now, I know I am just one person, but in my experience it, they were not helpful. 

I have also experienced the scourge that powerful unions can bring.  I work as a planner for a small rustbelt city.  Industry has all left, half the population has left, but the unions are still the most powerful game in town.  They have raped the City on multiple occasions and now, we are left with a shell of a City, yet we have more police per capita than Detroit, in a town of 12,000 people.  Same with the fire department.  The police also average over $100,000 in salary per year, when the average for a family is $28,000.  Taxes have gone way up to afford this and the few businesses that have remained are moving out.  Its a sad situation.  All that is left to plan, is the funeral.

• 3 weeks later...