Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Definitely agree with this genre being way expensive. It's quite insane when you catch ourself considering dishing out 36€ (40$) sans shipping for a brand new repress (i.e Bongripper's SWD, granted a double LP).

Unfortunately this endless pumping out of die-hards has got way out of hand. And it's kind of a bummer that there's labels (take that unnamed favourite in this thread) that seems to be using those as main fuel to run on. I still think it's sweet to have an interesting looking record but in a certain way this boutique-stuff is kind of ruining it for me as well. The collector impulse is way difficult to supress and it seems a race to have the most exclusives. I guess part of the fun is having something that few others own, as STB's Steve has also mentioned. Would be good to see things even out a bit more yet still see some dye-cut covers and more unusual approaches to covers at a reasonable price.

And don't even get me started on the import thing, as half the price of the record from the states I usually pay for shipping.

Still think that the Church LP on black wax is a missed opportunity though !

Last time i checked the record sounds the same regardless of color or /xxx pressing. If i can get a limited thing for equalish value im all for it but when its 10-20 bucks more ill just get whatever is most economic and call it a day. That is sans the stb stuff as i am trying to keep my obi collection going on those (and am pissed im missing one)

Expensive genre, yes. But I find that they hold their value well, so I'm okay with it.

I think you're seeing that because this whole die hard etc. thing is still somewhat new. All these other small labels following that exact same business model are popping up every week and ride the hype generated from the other labels. People will one day realize that maybe they didn't need to buy that $30+ record with the special color and they will try to sell it along with many of the other people. That is when the value will start to fall. You will see it in the next 10 years or so. If you want a profit or money back I would sell within 5 years, as your record investment advisor  ;) .

Probably mentioned this before, but it's the same thing that happened with comics in the 90's. MOST of the books i had that were worth many times what I paid for them, just took a nose dive. I don't care about most of those books now, so they just sit. I will hopefully still care about some of these expensive ass records I am buying. I wish I sold those comics when they were "valuable", so I could buy more $30 records.  :blink:

But arent the comics starting to move up in value with the whole boom of comic book movies and "geek culture" (i know thats a broad way to put it but its the easiest for this conversation).

i never really got into comics so i cant confirm my thinking but it seems kinda the same thing for the vinyl boom that is happening.

But arent the comics starting to move up in value with the whole boom of comic book movies and "geek culture" (i know thats a broad way to put it but its the easiest for this conversation).

i never really got into comics so i cant confirm my thinking but it seems kinda the same thing for the vinyl boom that is happening.

Maybe the big company comics, but the stuff I was into was more indie. A boom will always implode.

I will also say that Magnetic Eye Records doesn't go through the rigmarole of naming their editions. They have some of the best color combos and they generally sell a single lp for $14 and doubles for around $20. AND they are always having sales. I personally think they win. Every record I have purchased from them has been great.

i ordered that Church then it seems it went down again?

Yeah, same. That would suck if they cancelled them without telling us and we ended up missing out.

I received a PayPal receipt and an order confirmation from Battleground when I ordered from them on Friday. If you received those emails, then I would assume your order went through.

Aaaaaaand purchased. Fuck. Also, awesome.

Krownn update from Taxi Driver Record's Facebook page:

Dear friends and customers! All dates got prolonged by pressing plant concerning Psychedelic Witchcraft and Kröwnn's vinyl records unfortunately, and new estimated dispatch date of those titles will be announced soon! We'll ship your orders as soon as we receive them! Thank you so much for your comprehension!

Krownn update from Taxi Driver Record's Facebook page:

Dear friends and customers! All dates got prolonged by pressing plant concerning Psychedelic Witchcraft and Kröwnn's vinyl records unfortunately, and new estimated dispatch date of those titles will be announced soon! We'll ship your orders as soon as we receive them! Thank you so much for your comprehension!

Hahahaha! "Thank you so much for your comprehension." Pretty sure they meant understanding :)