Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

My collection is at around 1500 including 7" and box sets. Probably at around 1200-1300 for 12". i try and do an over haul once a year to clean out stuff i dont need anymore. 

In the past two months i think i have bought like two records. Its been nice to take a break

i am on year 16 of collecting. The joys of getting records for cheaper than cds for years allowed me to amass alot of items for not as much as it would be today. 

Edited by Twistedshabazz

yeah thinking of starting to thin out the 7"ers.  barely listen to them anymore.  if i plan to sit and enjoy listening to records i want to sit and enjoy them, not get up every 10 minutes.  only time i ever get to myself anymore is on the weekends, so it's usually either records or catching up on shows.  dad life.

Edited by aviolentworld

I think I’m on year 30 for collecting records also. In the beginning I had my mom write checks for me to send to labels to buy records especially from Revelation Records and Dischord. My collection is around 1,800 now. Been selling a few things off that I know I’ll never listen to again. Luckily last December I was able to sell off around 250+ records to some record label in St. Louis. Made some coin from it which went to buying stuff I lost years ago in a flood as well as replenish the bank account I have that is strictly for buying records.

do you guys listen to records everyday?  i mean my collection is sitting at 1200 or so and i can't fathom listtening to all of them in my lifetime.  like i said with kids and getting older my responsibilities shifted a bit.  i only have time to listen on the weekends so i can't knock to many out since the kiddos get up at 6am.

i haven't gotten a tattoo since getting married.  my wife and i have 2 seperate accounts for reckless spending and most of mine goes to records.  probably gonna sell some off for a new tattoo or adjustable dumbbells or some shit.

I go through waves for listening. Ill listen like every day then will go weeks without. When im playing video games i tend to throw on records. Nice way to kill two birds. 

I also have a massive back catalogue of tv shows to watch so every week i spend 3-4 hours on that instead of records to keep up. 

I swear I’m the oldest guy on this board.  I grew up during the vinyl years of early 70’s.  Never had enough money to put together a decent system and didn’t collect too much vinyl.  But I had the basics..stones, beatles, who…big time ramones fan.  After I graduated college and started making some money, the CD craze was taking over.  By the late 80’s I was accumulating cd’s like a madman.  I still have a closet full of cd’s.  When streaming kicked in I slowed down with cd’s and got obsessed with blu ray movies.  In the 2000’s I started piecing together a stereo system…reconed some old Cerwin Vega speakers I had from the 80’s.   Finally got a decent TT two years ago and my vinyl obsession really kicked in.

I have to say one of best parts of this vinyl deep dive was discovering this Stoner/Doom Metal thread.  I discovered so many cool bands thanks to the ‘wizards’ here.   I thank you all for educating this old man.

1 hour ago, elsanto said:

I swear I’m the oldest guy on this board.  I grew up during the vinyl years of early 70’s.  Never had enough money to put together a decent system and didn’t collect too much vinyl.  But I had the basics..stones, beatles, who…big time ramones fan.  After I graduated college and started making some money, the CD craze was taking over.  By the late 80’s I was accumulating cd’s like a madman.  I still have a closet full of cd’s.  When streaming kicked in I slowed down with cd’s and got obsessed with blu ray movies.  In the 2000’s I started piecing together a stereo system…reconed some old Cerwin Vega speakers I had from the 80’s.   Finally got a decent TT two years ago and my vinyl obsession really kicked in.

I have to say one of best parts of this vinyl deep dive was discovering this Stoner/Doom Metal thread.  I discovered so many cool bands thanks to the ‘wizards’ here.   I thank you all for educating this old man.

I wish my parents had been more into collecting records when they were younger so I would have had a good start on classic stuff.

12 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Dang, I think I'm on record collecting year 30 or 29. Bought Kiss Alive in 3rd grade.

2 hours ago, elsanto said:

Wait a minute. I must have been incapacitated when I wrote "year 30 or 29". It is actually year 40 or 39 for record collecting. I always forget my age and usually think I am 10 years younger than I am. 

1 hour ago, fitterhappier said:

New SubRosa album, "For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages", coming out this summer via Profound Lore

I am psyched

I'm so excited for this. It's probably my most anticipated album of the year. I'm seeing them again in a couple weeks and I'm hoping I'll get to hear a few new songs.

On 6/4/2016 at 0:27 AM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

We must be the oldest thread on the boards.

There are 5 of us.

we are the elite.

sorry. wrong thread/quote. but as you all know, cant delete. i do like stoner/doom music.

carry on.

Edited by abovetheearth

Popmarket is having a metal sale. Doesn't seem like many steals, but they do have the new "deluxe" Sabbath reissues that are a better price than at amazon. They have the regular ones also, so don't get the two confused. The deluxe come with an extra record. Tempted to buy the S/T since it's my fav. https://www.popmarket.com/collections/metal?page=1

Popmarket is having a metal sale. Doesn't seem like many steals, but they do have the new "deluxe" Sabbath reissues that are a better price than at amazon. They have the regular ones also, so don't get the two confused. The deluxe come with an extra record. Tempted to buy the S/T since it's my fav. https://www.popmarket.com/collections/metal?page=1