Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, Mars said:

Looking forward to this - Love Donkey and that new click sounds killer!

I'm already looking forward to their third album Piglet. I heard it comes on Winnie The Pooh yellow/red swirl with heavy honey splatter.

Also, selling my Goya Die Hard, enamel pin and all, if anyone's interested?

Edited by JoshuaNilk

Sorry for being a post-whore but I just confirmed a trip on a very doomed boat along the coast of Sweden with Electric fucking Wizard headlining. Was set on not going but was lucky to find some last minute tickets from dudes who'd bought early and it will be a two day marathon with the free afterparty including Spelljammer.

I'm losing it.

14925688_10155415145223761_8629131234601

Also, if for any of you die-hard Monolord fans, they'll be selling a sick print there that I might grab if any of you are super keen on it.

17499107_1420653081299123_42470600374932

Edited by JoshuaNilk

1 hour ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Sorry for being a post-whore but I just confirmed a trip on a very doomed boat along the coast of Sweden with Electric fucking Wizard headlining. Was set on not going but was lucky to find some last minute tickets from dudes who'd bought early and it will be a two day marathon with the free afterparty including Spelljammer.

I'm losing it.

14925688_10155415145223761_8629131234601

Also, if for any of you die-hard Monolord fans, they'll be selling a sick print there that I might grab if any of you are super keen on it.

17499107_1420653081299123_42470600374932

That'll be so fun! And that print is a woodblock print which makes it even coooooler!

1 hour ago, Battra said:

My next vinyl review, that I've not written yet but will be up this sunday....is a kick ass, I presume, doom metal split LP.

Look for it? :)

Nah. But if you tell us what it is we might listen to the record. I'm guessing it's that Grim Von Doom split though.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Nah. But if you tell us what it is we might listen to the record. I'm guessing it's that Grim Von Doom split though.

Grim Van Doom/Cult of Occult was a standard digital review that I'd posted....ummm.....three...four weeks ago? 

I don't recall now. Like large swaths of my vinyl collection, it was something I had reviewed and then purchased the vinyl because I dug it so much. The one I'm working on right now, I've only done the unboxing video, was just delivered to my house yesterday. I think I listened to the first track or so.

I never say what I'm reviewing ahead of time. Just kind of my thing.

I like to pretend I'm a big deal. 

My vinyl, digital, and CD (in the rare times I get them) are all done with albums that were submitted to me via the record labels (I have some great relationships with some vinyl only labels), the bands' PR Firms, or the bands themselves.

I certainly don't do a vinyl review for everything I buy. That would be nuts, but I do have I think six records to do vinyl reviews on sitting on my table at home right now and at least 3 in the mail to me.

Edited by Battra

18 hours ago, Battra said:

Grim Van Doom/Cult of Occult was a standard digital review that I'd posted....ummm.....three...four weeks ago? 

I don't recall now. Like large swaths of my vinyl collection, it was something I had reviewed and then purchased the vinyl because I dug it so much. The one I'm working on right now, I've only done the unboxing video, was just delivered to my house yesterday. I think I listened to the first track or so.

I never say what I'm reviewing ahead of time. Just kind of my thing.

I like to pretend I'm a big deal. 

My vinyl, digital, and CD (in the rare times I get them) are all done with albums that were submitted to me via the record labels (I have some great relationships with some vinyl only labels), the bands' PR Firms, or the bands themselves.

I certainly don't do a vinyl review for everything I buy. That would be nuts, but I do have I think six records to do vinyl reviews on sitting on my table at home right now and at least 3 in the mail to me.

I used to review records for American Music Press. It was cool to get free records and CDs, but it was a lot of work for no pay. I remember Victory Records sent me some CD to review and they had "REVIEW ONLY NOT FOR SALE" all over the CD and the plain white sleeve. How was anyone going to sell that shit? I emailed them and told them they were lame. I didn't write many reviews after that... Anyway, I don't read many reviews these days. With all of the media so readily available I generally don't need someone to tell me what it sounds like, I just look it up and listen myself. Sounds like you're having fun with it, so enjoy.

17 hours ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Blackout - The Horse is up for preorder at Riding Easy. $20 for the clear variant, $15 for the black variant and $20 for the black variant through bandcamp.

http://www.ridingeasyrecs.com/product/blackout-the-horse/

Man, that song sounds like he's singing at the end of a very long tunnel. 

7 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I used to review records for American Music Press. It was cool to get free records and CDs, but it was a lot of work for no pay. I remember Victory Records sent me some CD to review and they had "REVIEW ONLY NOT FOR SALE" all over the CD and the plain white sleeve. How was anyone going to sell that shit? I emailed them and told them they were lame. I didn't write many reviews after that... Anyway, I don't read many reviews these days. With all of the media so readily available I generally don't need someone to tell me what it sounds like, I just look it up and listen myself. Sounds like you're having fun with it, so enjoy.

Over the years, I have done over gods...700 reviews I think? I'm not really sure anymore. I know this year we're going to have hit 1,000 articles.

What I really like, and this is kind of selfish, is not having to seek new music but it arriving to me. 

There have been times, where I've considered retiring and shuttering the site and the email address associated with it, but for some reason I keep going. Yeah, I don't get paid, but I get free music and (lately) lots of free vinyl, and that's kind of the same thing.

I only write about the music I enjoy and I'll only put links to vinyl reviews on this site. I don't even post links to each post on the forums I frequent now. I don't have the kind of time it would take..haha.

I go back and forth about the money thing. Part of my really enjoys the freedom of not having to worry about money. Because I'm wholly unspecialized and I have a very eclectic taste in music. Today doom metal,  yesterday death metal, tomorrow instrumental shred, the day before punk jazz, blues, country, rap, etc...

Even folk and dance pop have been up on my site. For me to make it into a money making enterprise, I'd have to choose a path and I don't even want to do that down to things like "I'm  a heavy metal blogger." I'd much rather see what comes down the pike. Even the vinyl reviews are wholly ecletic.

Avant garde metal, doom metal, nerdcore hip hop, thrash, modern rock, stoner metal, blackened folk metal, war metal, whatever the hell Tall Tall Trees is, atmospheric black metal, reggae, 90's Rock, etc....upcoming I've got (off the top of my head) doom, avant garde rock, more pop, death metal, and that's just in the vinyl reviews.

I keep wondering how much longer I'll continue honestly. I really do, but in the meantime, I'll keep telling the world that new music is just as good as the old music.

That's kind of the point.

11 minutes ago, Battra said:

Over the years, I have done over gods...700 reviews I think? I'm not really sure anymore. I know this year we're going to have hit 1,000 articles.

What I really like, and this is kind of selfish, is not having to seek new music but it arriving to me. 

There have been times, where I've considered retiring and shuttering the site and the email address associated with it, but for some reason I keep going. Yeah, I don't get paid, but I get free music and (lately) lots of free vinyl, and that's kind of the same thing.

I only write about the music I enjoy and I'll only put links to vinyl reviews on this site. I don't even post links to each post on the forums I frequent now. I don't have the kind of time it would take..haha.

I go back and forth about the money thing. Part of my really enjoys the freedom of not having to worry about money. Because I'm wholly unspecialized and I have a very eclectic taste in music. Today doom metal,  yesterday death metal, tomorrow instrumental shred, the day before punk jazz, blues, country, rap, etc...

Even folk and dance pop have been up on my site. For me to make it into a money making enterprise, I'd have to choose a path and I don't even want to do that down to things like "I'm  a heavy metal blogger." I'd much rather see what comes down the pike. Even the vinyl reviews are wholly ecletic.

Avant garde metal, doom metal, nerdcore hip hop, thrash, modern rock, stoner metal, blackened folk metal, war metal, whatever the hell Tall Tall Trees is, atmospheric black metal, reggae, 90's Rock, etc....upcoming I've got (off the top of my head) doom, avant garde rock, more pop, death metal, and that's just in the vinyl reviews.

I keep wondering how much longer I'll continue honestly. I really do, but in the meantime, I'll keep telling the world that new music is just as good as the old music.

That's kind of the point.

I'm going to come off like a dick here, but you know every post on the forum doesn't have to be an entire long blog post. I don't come here to be told that you "have a blog, come check it out," or learn about your life.

Hell, I'd probably be ok with you if you just stopped referencing that you're a music reviewer in almost every one of your posts.

53 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I'm going to come off like a dick here, but you know every post on the forum doesn't have to be an entire long blog post. I don't come here to be told that you "have a blog, come check it out," or learn about your life.

Hell, I'd probably be ok with you if you just stopped referencing that you're a music reviewer in almost every one of your posts.

But every post MUST CONTAIN how he reviews vinyl and doesn't have enough to time to listen to albums outside of that 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Hmm.

How do I respond? I could come off like a dick as you chose to do.

I could say nothing.

I could simply insult you.

But I'll choose to say this, I like to have conversations. I don't like bland posts without context.

So, I choose to have conversations and write posts full of context in order to make them richer.

I'm not sorry for posting the way I do, but I'm sorry that bothers you.

Steering this ship in the right direction... Alright, all I want is for that goddamn Black Tomb record to go on pre-order so I can spend a bunch of money to get it shipped from EU!!! I will probably be taking a shit and reading Decibel when it goes on sale and will miss out on whatever rare variant I "needed". What other POs are we all waiting for?

13 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

This guy is getting heat for posting more than 7 or 8 words at a time and for referring to his music review blog "too much" on a vinyl message board now?

Good grief, guys.

It's fine to talk about music and have discourse. I don't like the tone of most of his posts or the fact that he constantly mentions his blog.

We get it, you review music, how great for you...you just don't need to mention it every post. 

Instead of coming in here and saying, "oh hey, check out my blog, I've got a super secret review for you," just come in here after you post your review and say a few things about it the record.

Lots of us post more than seven or eight words at a time and give opinions about albums, but we're not all in here trying to promote stuff.

8 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

I hate when posters come here just to promote their review blog or vinyl podcast.

This.

12 minutes ago, Battra said:

Hmm.

How do I respond? I could come off like a dick as you chose to do.

I could say nothing.

I could simply insult you.

But I'll choose to say this, I like to have conversations. I don't like bland posts without context.

So, I choose to have conversations and write posts full of context in order to make them richer.

I'm not sorry for posting the way I do, but I'm sorry that bothers you.

We all enjoy conversation here, but the rest of us are here to actually discuss things instead of trying to redirect people to our websites. It comes off like clickbait when you say you're reviewing an album that we may or may not like and that we can only find out what your opinion of it is by visiting your blog. It's frustrating and I find it to be pretty shitty, hence me being a little bit of a jerk.

Maybe try to make friends with the group here before you mention your blog, or at the very least give your opinion about five or six releases that we've talked about.

9 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Steering this ship in the right direction... Alright, all I want is for that goddamn Black Tomb record to go on pre-order so I can spend a bunch of money to get it shipped from EU!!! I will probably be taking a shit and reading Decibel when it goes on sale and will miss out on whatever rare variant I "needed". What other POs are we all waiting for?

Wounded Giant, my man!

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

We all enjoy conversation here, but the rest of us are here to actually discuss things instead of trying to redirect people to our websites. It comes off like clickbait when you say you're reviewing an album that we may or may not like and that we can only find out what your opinion of it is by visiting your blog. It's frustrating and I find it to be pretty shitty, hence me being a little bit of a jerk.

Maybe try to make friends with the group here before you mention your blog, or at the very least give your opinion about five or six releases that we've talked about.

<shrug>

I've given my opinion on as many releases as I have an opinion to give which have been spoken about on this board and not started by me. I've posted preorders to things I had nothing to do with, I've only posted a single link to my blog in a thread I started, and only because there was pre-order info in the link.

There's lots of music here that I'm not familiar with and you may recall the wonderful opinions I got from some of the folks  here when I gave my opinion on Coheed and Cambria.

My opinion started off a shitstorm that lasted for days.

10 minutes ago, Battra said:

<shrug>

I've given my opinion on as many releases as I have an opinion to give which have been spoken about on this board and not started by me. I've posted preorders to things I had nothing to do with, I've only posted a single link to my blog in a thread I started, and only because there was pre-order info in the link.

There's lots of music here that I'm not familiar with and you may recall the wonderful opinions I got from some of the folks  here when I gave my opinion on Coheed and Cambria.

My opinion started off a shitstorm that lasted for days.

I meant this thread specifically.

We're a little different than the rest of the boards in that we're pretty niche, know each other pretty well, and don't usually attack en masse.

Sorry for going off on you a little bit, but the way you mention "music reviewing" so often across the board, and the whole short convo about your blog in here rubbed me the wrong way.

Check out some of the stuff we're talking about, recommend stuff to us, and talk about things in the thread and you'll be fine.

And yes, I know you don't have time to check out every release because of your busy reviewing schedule, but if you want to be an active participant in this thread, make an effort to listen to and talk about stuff in here, not just on your blog.:rolleyes: 

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I meant this thread specifically.

We're a little different than the rest of the boards in that we're pretty niche, know each other pretty well, and don't usually go on mass attacks.

Sorry for going off on you a little bit, but the way you mention "music reviewing" so often across the board, and the whole short convo about your blog in here rubbed me the wrong way.

Check out some of the stuff we're talking about, recommend stuff to us, and talk about things in the thread and you'll be fine.

And yes, I know you don't have time to check out every release because of your busy reviewing schedule, but if you want to be an active participant in this thread, make an effort to listen to and talk about stuff in here, not just on your blog.:rolleyes: 

I have talked about stuff in here.

Specifically Grim van Doom/Cult of Occult split, yes, I mentioned I reviewed it, but did I put up a link? Nope.

95% of my personal listening and new bands come from my reviewing albums. So, when I talk about them, yes, I'll mention it, but again, notice I'm not slagging links off constantly.

I've been on this forum for...two weeks now. I've posted ONE thread for an album I've reviewed, again, because it was a vinyl release that was UPCOMING and not behind. In that same time, I've posted about 20 other posts on my blog.

When I talk about a band or an album I like, I tell people how I found it. Always have, always will. I STILL tell people how I discovered James Leg (formerly of The Black Diamond Heavies) because I saw Exene Cervanka and the Original Sinners at a Camel Cigarettes show.

I add context to what I say and when it comes to music, A LOT of that context revolves around bands, PR Firms, Labels, etc reaching out to me. 

I'm here for two reasons: I f-ing dig listening to records and I want to learn more about them. I do hope that some folks will see the link in my sig, which ONLY goes to vinyl and not regular, and think, maybe there's something there to see.

As for the post that set you off, honestly, I wondered if I should post it as I was typing it. So I will apologize for that one, as I wasn't sure if I should post it. That was my mistake for not gauging the waters better.

3 minutes ago, Battra said:

I have talked about stuff in here.

Specifically Grim van Doom/Cult of Occult split, yes, I mentioned I reviewed it, but did I put up a link? Nope.

95% of my personal listening and new bands come from my reviewing albums. So, when I talk about them, yes, I'll mention it, but again, notice I'm not slagging links off constantly.

I've been on this forum for...two weeks now. I've posted ONE thread for an album I've reviewed, again, because it was a vinyl release that was UPCOMING and not behind. In that same time, I've posted about 20 other posts on my blog.

When I talk about a band or an album I like, I tell people how I found it. Always have, always will. I STILL tell people how I discovered James Leg (formerly of The Black Diamond Heavies) because I saw Exene Cervanka and the Original Sinners at a Camel Cigarettes show.

I add context to what I say and when it comes to music, A LOT of that context revolves around bands, PR Firms, Labels, etc reaching out to me. 

I'm here for two reasons: I f-ing dig listening to records and I want to learn more about them. I do hope that some folks will see the link in my sig, which ONLY goes to vinyl and not regular, and think, maybe there's something there to see.

As for the post that set you off, honestly, I wondered if I should post it as I was typing it. So I will apologize for that one, as I wasn't sure if I should post it. That was my mistake for not gauging the waters better.

All good, and I dig exposition and context for how a band is discovered if it's a good story, but nobody cares that you "discovered" something because some PR firm sent it to you, y'know?

Stories about seeing bands are encouraged though! :)

Anywho, I've said all I have to say about it and don't want to continue going in circles/taking up space in th thread with this. All the best.

Missed out on that Coheed ad Cambria shitstorm, thankfully.  Hopefully you were on the correct side of it.  

18 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Wounded Giant, my man!

Yessir - April fool's nonetheless!

23 hours ago, Battra said:

My next vinyl review, that I've not written yet but will be up this sunday....is a kick ass, I presume, doom metal split LP.

Look for it? :)

So here's the thing I think Macho Man is getting at.  "I have this review that I haven't written yet, for what I think will be a pretty kiss ass lp - go and find it!"

Nah.  Write the review, then maybe come here and tell us about it, along with a link to the actual music.  I'm not marking my calendar to search for your review about an unnamed release yom mentioned days before you actually listened to it.

44 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It's fine to talk about music and have discourse. I don't like the tone of most of his posts or the fact that he constantly mentions his blog.

We get it, you review music, how great for you...you just don't need to mention it every post. 

Instead of coming in here and saying, "oh hey, check out my blog, I've got a super secret review for you," just come in here after you post your review and say a few things about it the record.

Lots of us post more than seven or eight words at a time and give opinions about albums, but we're not all in here trying to promote stuff.

This.

It just seems like if you don't care for someone's passive activity simply ignore it. No one is grabbing anyone by the dome and shoving their face in a screen that has his blog loaded on it. I get the whole clickbait comparison and all but if you don't like something on the screen ignore it. He's not a pop-up that you can't close without clicking a checkbox and agreeing to terms. He's not a rick roll. He's just someone mentioning something. You can obviously assess it for what its worth to you. Let the rest of the members decide if they want to deal with him or his blog or his posts. No one should be instructing anyone on the etiquette of what aspects of their life or music love they should or shouldn't be discussing or mentioning. I'm not angry or trying to call anyone out specifically as their was not just a  sole individual calling him out about it but I think its getting to a weird controlling mindset around here lately. Especially considering the people who busted his balls for pages on how he should be making time (and giving instructions for his schedule on how to fit it in) to listen to the first three Coheed albums.

EDIT: In light of everyone's repsonse before this one, I have to say it looks like it pretty much got settled amicably and I like to see that. I say let's get back to the Stoner/Doom. =)

Edited by mcpherson123