Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

37 minutes ago, stranaspank said:

Humbly requesting a wizard text blast when new Windhand goes up, whenever that is between now and October

Oh, heck yeah. Hadn't even heard about this new Windhand.

If someone sees that new Spaceslug eventually go up let me know too. I was really regularly checking on it, but I've been slacking a little bit lately.

Edited by Ishtar

New Conan record is up! Colored versions are a bit boring for the prices, but I went with gold - assuming it is rarest, because most costly.

BUY HERE

If troglodytes could have gotten their paws on a Fuzzthrone or other fuzz pedals…they would have probably bashed each other`s skulls in. Conan on the other hand use these beautiful tools to wrench the maximum out of their legendary Caveman Battle Doom: could there be a more monolithic opener than ‘Prosper On The Path‘? Narp. The British trio presents a tar monster named Existential Void Guardian that seems even more menacing as soon as it gets high on its own downtuned groove frenzy. Two years after the remarkable Revengeance, Conan once more leave us baffled with a previously unknown side to dual vocal sludge – behold the painful melody splinters ‘Eye To Eye To Eye‘ leaves behind or the insane grind intermezzo that is ‘Paincantation‘. True beauty lies in dissonance, and it always will.

conan_evg_vinyl_gold_mockup.png

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

New Conan record is up! Colored versions are a bit boring for the prices, but I went with gold - assuming it is rarest, because most costly.

BUY HERE

If troglodytes could have gotten their paws on a Fuzzthrone or other fuzz pedals…they would have probably bashed each other`s skulls in. Conan on the other hand use these beautiful tools to wrench the maximum out of their legendary Caveman Battle Doom: could there be a more monolithic opener than ‘Prosper On The Path‘? Narp. The British trio presents a tar monster named Existential Void Guardian that seems even more menacing as soon as it gets high on its own downtuned groove frenzy. Two years after the remarkable Revengeance, Conan once more leave us baffled with a previously unknown side to dual vocal sludge – behold the painful melody splinters ‘Eye To Eye To Eye‘ leaves behind or the insane grind intermezzo that is ‘Paincantation‘. True beauty lies in dissonance, and it always will.

Yaaaaaaaas.

Like you said, no pressing numbers listed, but if napalm works anything like relapse the most expensive is the most limited, I guess.

Interesting to see those repeated tracks again toward the end...two from Blood Eagle and one each from Horseback and Monnos. Wonder if they're reworked or anything.

Edited by Ishtar

On 7/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, lexicondevil said:

I think I read somewhere that they are live versions. I don't know why it doesn't say it in that listing.

Huh. I thought it might be the case, but without it being listed that way I was hoping for just reworked versions. Not a big live recording guy.

Super excited for this though! Finally have my Conan collection as complete as I want it, but I'm always down for new stuff.

With that said, if anyone has a copy of the newest Slomatics full length they're looking to offload, I'm your guy. That got really hard to find all of a sudden.

Edited by Ishtar

28 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Only two of us talking about the new Conan album? I think this thread is withering.

F'real. Conan is top tier as far as this stuff goes. Come on, guys! Get stoked! Sometime soon I'll run down through a bunch of bands and post links like some of us used to. Maybe that'll spark something back up in here.

1 hour ago, Ishtar said:

F'real. Conan is top tier as far as this stuff goes. Come on, guys! Get stoked! Sometime soon I'll run down through a bunch of bands and post links like some of us used to. Maybe that'll spark something back up in here.

The thread will never die!

i have not really found much that has been an “oh shit” type band that i have to get/ post here. 

I did see Yob about two weeks ago and they ruled. They had never been to Pittsburgh and looked like they were having a great time. Mike was walking through the crowd during bell witch and interacting with people which was pretty cool as well. You can tell he is super stoked to be able to play and be out touring after everything that happened. 

4 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

DC based Foehammer have a new record out.  The vinyl is now shipping.  My copy arrived the other day and it looks killer.  The D side has an awesome etching.  Great record and well done pressing.  The album stream is also posted on the order page.

https://australopithecus-records.myshopify.com/products/foehammer-second-sight-2xlp

Listened to about 20 seconds of this and immediately bought the /100. This label put out the Black Clouds records. Good label and glad I can buy something from him again.

going to plug myself a bit here, sorry in advance. my pal and i are starting up our monthly music/vinyl/tape related podcast again. it has a heavy emphasis on the more “extreme” side of metal, with some smatterings of rock and other stuff as well. we’ll likely be covering a bunch of what can be found in this thread, but if you’d like to hear more about new bands, releases and labels, please check us out and/or follow us on our music-only instagram. to subscribe to our podcast, just follow the link below or from our instagram profile page, and join our mailing list. zero spam and zero bullshit. episodes resume next week. thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Real talk:  do i really need to own every electric wizard record?

Noooooope.

I think about selling some of their records (and a bunch of other ones) every single day, but I think I'm a little lazy, and maybe a liiiiiiiiittle bit of a record hoarder. I mean, there's definitely been progression, but none of them sound so incredibly different from each other that I'd say anyone really needs to own more than about three Electric Wizard albums to really have the whole sound pretty well encompassed.

I also think for me, selling a bunch of not super expensive records is a slippery slope to me just dropping the whole hobby and selling everything.

44 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Noooooope.

I think about selling some of their records (and a bunch of other ones) every single day, but I think I'm a little lazy, and maybe a liiiiiiiiittle bit of a record hoarder. I mean, there's definitely been progression, but none of them sound so incredibly different from each other that I'd say anyone really needs to own more than about three Electric Wizard albums to really have the whole sound pretty well encompassed.

I also think for me, selling a bunch of not super expensive records is a slippery slope to me just dropping the whole hobby and selling everything.

I have been really trying to slim down and limit purchases with the dudette coming. Makes me look at things like my question above. I feel i have alot of bands that i have all or almost alll the discography and dont really ever listen to them. 

I found even selling the not as expensive records feels nice.  Clears out some shelf space and makes me not feel bad for never listening to them. 

Uh oh. Is there gonna be a "Selling Whole Collection" post coming up? It's funny how many more of those posts I'm seeing lately with plenty more to come, I suspect. I'm guessing it will probably be 20 more years before I start selling off my whole collection, but who knows. I am really starting to run out of room with records coming every week.

9 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Uh oh. Is there gonna be a "Selling Whole Collection" post coming up? It's funny how many more of those posts I'm seeing lately with plenty more to come, I suspect. I'm guessing it will probably be 20 more years before I start selling off my whole collection, but who knows. I am really starting to run out of room with records coming every week.

I have a friend who unloads his collection and starts over like every 5 or so years.  He likes to go in a different direction than he has so he wipes clean. Like a month ago he sold all but 15 records and is on the rebuild again. Im cool with unloading chunks like I have been but dont know if I could do that. Selling some records i bought like 15 years ago and still enjoy would be tough. 

1 hour ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I have a friend who unloads his collection and starts over like every 5 or so years.  He likes to go in a different direction than he has so he wipes clean. Like a month ago he sold all but 15 records and is on the rebuild again. Im cool with unloading chunks like I have been but dont know if I could do that. Selling some records i bought like 15 years ago and still enjoy would be tough. 

I've done two big collection cleanses in my life. One was about 1/3 of my collection and another was about 1/4. I can't see getting rid of most of my collection with the intent to rebuild. I've learned to really think about what I get rid of. If there is any bit of sentimental life associations with the record, it's best not to sell it, unless you really need the money. I have no regrets about most of what I've sold, but there are a few that I can't believe I let go, not for value, but memories attached to the records.

38 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I've done two big collection cleanses in my life. One was about 1/3 of my collection and another was about 1/4. I can't see getting rid of most of my collection with the intent to rebuild. I've learned to really think about what I get rid of. If there is any bit of sentimental life associations with the record, it's best not to sell it, unless you really need the money. I have no regrets about most of what I've sold, but there are a few that I can't believe I let go, not for value, but memories attached to the records.

Im with you on that. I think he is the type he has a hard time deciding what to get rid of so he just rips the band aid off and does it all at once. He really goes down the rabbit hole too (one collection he sold off had everyrhing Tom Waits including singles, bootlegs, etc.) like 80 pieces later he realized he didnt need that at all and sold all but his favorite waits record. 

I have never been a variant collector at all but im starting to feel i dont need every record from a band minus a very select few. 

On 7/17/2018 at 4:23 PM, lexicondevil said:

BUY HERE

One of the better bands of this genre.

Edited by whoshotthefrog

There are only a few bands that I try to collect a great deal of the variants of for their albums. It's really only Converge and the Melvins. I'm literally only 4 or 5 pieces away from an entire Converge collection except for test presses. I'm not that close for the Melvins, but some of their stuff is way too hard to find. However, since I started collecting both bands record back in the mid-90's I don't want to stop collecting variants for either  band.

I'm similar to you lexicon. I'm running out of room to store all of my records. I basically don't have a dining room table and chairs anymore because my collection has taken up the dining room. Fuck it, i'd rather eat in front of the tv anyway.