Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

37 minutes ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Has anyone received their Dopethrone album from Totem Cat Records? I remember ordering this in either late April/early May and the last update I remember seeing was the record was supposed to ship in August.

Damn, I had forgotten that I was waiting on that.

4 hours ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Has anyone received their Dopethrone album from Totem Cat Records? I remember ordering this in either late April/early May and the last update I remember seeing was the record was supposed to ship in August.

I remembered a month ago and then saw an update, then I remembered a few days ago and wrote them a "am I ever gonna see this record" email. Supposedly mine shipped. It feels like I ordered this a year ago. Their preorder window is starting to annoy me.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:44 PM, whoshotthefrog said:

19 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I remembered a month ago and then saw an update, then I remembered a few days ago and wrote them a "am I ever gonna see this record" email. Supposedly mine shipped. It feels like I ordered this a year ago. Their preorder window is starting to annoy me.

Showed up today. I forgot how shitty their packaging is. Massive corner crush and the package had gotten wet to the point that it was visibly damp inside. Fortunately, that seems limited to the package.

A package from SOM also in France showed up today too. Packed like a tank.

New CONAN, yeah much the same as the last 4 lps. I've been with them from the start, bought each one as it came out, but I think I may be Conaned out.  This one was kind of a bit more forgettable. Plus the new drummer is just playing too much for my liking.  I dunno, all starting to feel a bit perfunctory at this stage, getting their mega-expensive "product" out there every year. No more wholesale like the Burning World days. Recall about 5 years ago being thrilled to shit with the first couple of records but sorry since then they've churned out about 6 more LP's which aint been nearly as good. Maybe I'm jaded. Spoilt. Plus being signed up to the fuckwits at Big Business Napalm Records its all starting to feel a bit uh big business. Was wayyy more fun dealing with the guys at Burning World

on plus side, found out about new bands:

SUMAC

HEY COLOSSUS

6 hours ago, Sprague Dawley said:

New CONAN, yeah much the same as the last 4 lps. I've been with them from the start, bought each one as it came out, but I think I may be Conaned out.  This one was kind of a bit more forgettable. Plus the new drummer is just playing too much for my liking.  I dunno, all starting to feel a bit perfunctory at this stage, getting their mega-expensive "product" out there every year. No more wholesale like the Burning World days. Recall about 5 years ago being thrilled to shit with the first couple of records but sorry since then they've churned out about 6 more LP's which aint been nearly as good. Maybe I'm jaded. Spoilt. Plus being signed up to the fuckwits at Big Business Napalm Records its all starting to feel a bit uh big business. Was wayyy more fun dealing with the guys at Burning World

on plus side, found out about new bands:

SUMAC

HEY COLOSSUS

I thought something sounded a little "off" on the new record and a new drummer explains it. I still enjoy it, but yeah, I'm with you on a lot of what you said.

That said, allegedly vinyl pre-orders for the new(est) Spaceslug album go up today. Still pretty excited about those guys even though I preferred the last two full lengths to this one.

Spaceslug is up, but steeply priced. I feel gross for paying that much for it. If their next release is a similar price I'll be done collecting them :/  

edit: much cheaper through bilocation records. Don't make the same mistake I did by ordering through their Bandcamp. I'm just going to leave it, but it'll save you probably $10.

Edited by Ishtar

https://kurokumauk.bandcamp.com/album/dope-rider

looks like they have a 10” they just put out. Kind of fuzzy doom. I dig it. 

https://thesludgelord.bandcamp.com/album/threshold-between-worlds

kind of post rock doom. The song they posted I like but its a bit all over the place. 

https://udreka.bandcamp.com/releases

instrumental doom

https://unbandtl.bandcamp.com/album/sentiment

A bit funeral doom, a bit sounding like Form,  some very nice melodic parts. 

I suck and this was up on transition loss and is sold out. 

On 10/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, Ishtar said:

I thought something sounded a little "off" on the new record and a new drummer explains it. I still enjoy it, but yeah, I'm with you on a lot of what you said.

That said, allegedly vinyl pre-orders for the new(est) Spaceslug album go up today. Still pretty excited about those guys even though I preferred the last two full lengths to this one.

Completely with you on this.

Tbh, they lost me on Revengeance pretty much but Existential Void Guardian really takes the cake. Also got way too fast for my liking. Looking back now I'm finding it difficult to listen to their earlier stuff as well and am actually amidst selling stuff I own of theirs. Saw them live just a week ago and I definitely still rememberwhy I got into them, which was just mainly the brutality and upfrontness of their tone but sadly none of it is just doing it for me anymore.

On a brighter note - Holy Grove are coming out with their sophomore and damn that thing is going to be rippin'. Closer track (2nd one) features Mike Scheidt as well. Also was lucky enough to just see Yob for the first time a week ago as well. 

Edited by JoshuaNilk

My band just released our first record (I play drums). We’re more stoner/psych rock than metal but I thought some of you may enjoy it. 

https://youtu.be/hXtjMiXNx3U

https://mojobozos.bandcamp.com

We’re still trying to figure out pressing the lp, but we did a short run of lathe cut 7”s with audio geography for our first show that came out pretty cool. 

C256090B-4567-4ADC-A751-096D80C21278_zps

Edited by smwalsh6

18 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Bongzilla is going up tomorrow at Totem Cat 8 pm French time, whatever that means. I'm not really that motivated, but there ya go.

I am looking forward to grabbing this but I will wait to find a US distort that has it. Not trying to wait for months and have no update on another release. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys. I've been out of the loop on metal/stoner/doom online distros. Its seems like a lot of places I used to go to are down or gone nowadays. Where do you guys shop online for this stuff?

Here are the ones I frequent that are still standing:

https://www.shadowkingdomrecords.com

http://hellsheadbangers.com/

revhq.com

That's all I can really think of right now. Where else do you guys go?

8 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Hey, guys. I've been out of the loop on metal/stoner/doom online distros. Its seems like a lot of places I used to go to are down or gone nowadays. Where do you guys shop online for this stuff?

Here are the ones I frequent that are still standing:

https://www.shadowkingdomrecords.com

http://hellsheadbangers.com/

revhq.com

That's all I can really think of right now. Where else do you guys go?

I usually go direct from the band/label. Distros usually jack the price up quite a bit.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:13 PM, Ishtar said:

I usually go direct from the band/label. Distros usually jack the price up quite a bit.

Currently looking for some Electric Wizard LPs to round out the discography and unfortunately the label itself (GBP currency and all) is one of the most expensive options. Trying to find some US stock that they're having trouble moving and may be looking to let go a little cheaper. The shipping alone for Rise Above is like an entire record add to that the exchange rate and its a total no-go. If you can think of anything better for EW, I'm all ears.

8 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Currently looking for some Electric Wizard LPs to round out the discography and unfortunately the label itself (GBP currency and all) is one of the most expensive options. Trying to find some US stock that they're having trouble moving and may be looking to let go a little cheaper. The shipping alone for Rise Above is like an entire record add to that the exchange rate and its a total no-go. If you can think of anything better for EW, I'm all ears.

What ones you looking for?

9 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Ahhh, gotcha.

17 minutes ago, museummouth said:

This. That'll make it a little easier to help out.

2 hours ago, museummouth said:

2 hours ago, Ishtar said:

This. That'll make it a little easier to help out.

Thanks, guys. So as my signature would likely suggest, I'm trying really hard to locate guaranteed black and preferably, lower weight editions. I just picked up a Witchcult Today from Earache USA's eBay page which they seemed to think will be black but this year saw the release of two different color editions of that record. Since RA hardly ever put stickers identifying the color with few exceptions its really hard to be certain and Earache are hardline against opening sealed stock  that they are selling as brand new/mint which I understand.

So if the Witchcult Today arrives NOT black, I'll be looking for that, preferably the 2014 non-180gm repress:

https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Wizard-Witchcult-Today/release/6376933

Then I'm looking for Black Masses but specifically this edition:

https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Wizard-Black-Masses/release/5659685

Its the 2013 Rise Above (as opposed to Metal Blade US) black vinyl reissue with the candle graphic cover as opposed to the pink psychedelic caped "witch" cover.

And unless you got a line on a dirt cheap Wizard Bloody Wizard on black, I think I can manage to acquire that one with ease at this point. Its still relatively new and people are generally not taking to it all that well it seems but I happen to think its pretty damn good. Production sounds almost exactly like Sabbath's Paranoid or S/T but with better drum tone. The timbre of the guitars is worth the price alone. Plus Garrett from Windhand co-engineered/co-produced it. That's reason enough for me.

I know that's super specific. Been scouring Discogs but not coming up with much in the way of affordability. Trying to cobble this collection together as inexpensively as possible. If you guys have any of these that you're looking to sell or trade I'd be down to work with you.

59 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Thanks, guys. So as my signature would likely suggest, I'm trying really hard to locate guaranteed black and preferably, lower weight editions. I just picked up a Witchcult Today from Earache USA's eBay page which they seemed to think will be black but this year saw the release of two different color editions of that record. Since RA hardly ever put stickers identifying the color with few exceptions its really hard to be certain and Earache are hardline against opening sealed stock  that they are selling as brand new/mint which I understand.

So if the Witchcult Today arrives NOT black, I'll be looking for that, preferably the 2014 non-180gm repress:

https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Wizard-Witchcult-Today/release/6376933

Then I'm looking for Black Masses but specifically this edition:

https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Wizard-Black-Masses/release/5659685

Its the 2013 Rise Above (as opposed to Metal Blade US) black vinyl reissue with the candle graphic cover as opposed to the pink psychedelic caped "witch" cover.

And unless you got a line on a dirt cheap Wizard Bloody Wizard on black, I think I can manage to acquire that one with ease at this point. Its still relatively new and people are generally not taking to it all that well it seems but I happen to think its pretty damn good. Production sounds almost exactly like Sabbath's Paranoid or S/T but with better drum tone. The timbre of the guitars is worth the price alone. Plus Garrett from Windhand co-engineered/co-produced it. That's reason enough for me.

I know that's super specific. Been scouring Discogs but not coming up with much in the way of affordability. Trying to cobble this collection together as inexpensively as possible. If you guys have any of these that you're looking to sell or trade I'd be down to work with you.

Right on. Yeah...if you're looking for stuff that's that specific I'd think discogs/individual sellers are going to be way more help than a distro, especially with them both being ~5 year old versions both with more recent variants. E Wizard stuff usually goes quickly enough that years later it's either tough to find or pretty expensive. Honestly the versions you linked on discogs are super reasonably priced (if they weren't shipping from Europe).

I'm afraid it's gonna be a tough road for you finding them at a good price with domestic shipping unfortunately unless you just happen to run across them in a brick and mortar store.

Edited by Ishtar

23 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Right on. Yeah...if you're looking for stuff that's that specific I'd think discogs/individual sellers are going to be way more help than a distro, especially with them both being ~5 year old versions both with more recent variants. E Wizard stuff usually goes quickly enough that years later it's either tough to find or pretty expensive. Honestly the versions you linked on discogs are super reasonably priced (if they weren't shipping from Europe).

I'm afraid it's gonna be a tough road for you finding them at a good price with domestic shipping unfortunately unless you just happen to run across them in a brick and mortar store.

Re: bolded quote: EXACTLY! hahaha.

Yeah, I figured its worth a shot to spread the word. Maybe I'll post a WTB thread in the Sales forum. I think I may be golden on the Black Masses. Just found a specific listing right after I posted here. Its lucky for me that most collectors treat black vinyl like a disease but unfortunately, a lot of the editions I want are shipping from expensive places with an exchange rate that puts the USD on the wrong side of the inflation.