Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Mars said:

Stoked to see Sleep for the first time tonight!

They put on such a great show. You're gonna have so much fun!

In somewhat related news, I saw Maiden the other night, and it was fucking incredible. If you guys get the chance to see them, it's worth the $100ish+ bucks it costs.

21 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

They put on such a great show. You're gonna have so much fun!

In somewhat related news, I saw Maiden the other night, and it was fucking incredible. If you guys get the chance to see them, it's worth the $100ish+ bucks it costs.

Saw maiden a few weeks ago for the first time in probably a decade. Went “all out” and got GA. Was cool to be like 30 feet away. They are great at layering in the hits and some deep cuts you would not expect. 

21 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Saw maiden a few weeks ago for the first time in probably a decade. Went “all out” and got GA. Was cool to be like 30 feet away. They are great at layering in the hits and some deep cuts you would not expect. 

Agree with you guys, Maiden was worth the next day pain. I do kinda wish I went GA, even though I had good seats. It seemed like it was fairly easy to get close. Looking forward to the Abbath show. I actually sprung for the meet and greet, since he seems like he'd be a character to meet.

11 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Agree with you guys, Maiden was worth the next day pain. I do kinda wish I went GA, even though I had good seats. It seemed like it was fairly easy to get close. Looking forward to the Abbath show. I actually sprung for the meet and greet, since he seems like he'd be a character to meet.

I got seats too, pretty good ones. There's part of me that wishes I were down on the floor...and part that would have hated fighting my way through the crowd and loved being able to easily get up, have a pee and get a beer during my least favorite song and go right back to my spot.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Just pulled out two record boxes full of records from my collection. Some doubles/variants and some that I just never really got around to listening to. Feels good. Mostly different genres of metal. Now I just have to price and list them all!

First dibs to this group?

• 2 weeks later...

"This is the missing link between Explosions in the Sky and Bongripper“ says a friend about Berlin based instrumental 5-piece neànder. Where do you draw the line between Post-Metal, Doom, Stoner or even Modern Black Metal? Post-Rock and Underground Metal have always been familiar. This is sweeping Ambient music combined with the intensity of a Norwegian Black Metal group. Epic songs hovering around the 10 minute mark. Black Sabbath influenced droning Doom riffs ascending into heavenly, dreamy soundscapes. 5 hypnotic chapters made to be listened to in its entirety; this album tends to be ritual music.

Founded in 2017 the collective consists of members from bands like Ånd, Patsy O' Hara, Not Now Not Ever, Earth Ship. Asked about why they keep their music on an instrumental level the answer is „a singer would reduce us into being either a Metal- or a Post-Rock band. We believe that the sacrifice of lyrics will keep our musical vision open and will help to intend on the music“.

neànder recorded its self-titled debut album in March 2018 at Hidden Planet Studios, Berlin (The Ocean, Abest, Sun Worship) mixed by Jan Oberg from Earth Ship, mastered by Magnus Lindberg from Cult of Luna.

FFO: Bongripper, Explosions in the Sky, Isis, Neurosis, Russian Circles, Year Of No Light or Mogwai.

Edited by AnlaufAlter
link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All That Is Heavy is having a 40% off sale right now with free shipping. I was able to snag the new lp from my friends' band, Disastroid, for a reasonable price.

San Francisco veterans Disastroid have been serving up sludgy, grunge-infused stoner rock for the better part of a decade now, refining a sound that weaves heavy riffs together with angular guitar lines, odd time signatures, and hazy walls of fuzz. As influenced by 90's noise rock as they are by modern psych, doom, and post-metal, Disastroid delivers thick, satisfying stoner rock stomp while also embracing layers of tripped-out noise and unpredictable song structures.

Their latest, “Mortal Fools” is their heaviest and most expansive-sounding album to date. Produced by Tim Green (Nation of Ulysses, The Fucking Champs), it’s sonically focused on what Disastroid does best, laying singer/guitarist Enver Koneya’s deep vocals and fuzzed-out riffs on top of a relentless, pummeling rhythm section. At the same time, it’s loose enough that it takes some unpredictable twists and turns, conveying the band's rough edges, sense of humor, and noisy, experimental streak.

Edited by lexicondevil

I had slacked pretty hard on picking up a lot of HOF's discography, but that black friday sale they did got me to pick up 4 albums I was missing. When i ordered all they had were black copies of most of them, but they ended up sending limited colored copies anyway! Pretty amped about it. Now to just pick up a copy of Snakes for the Divine, and De Vermis Mysteriis.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 3:28 PM, Mars said:

Thanks man, it was a great show. Enjoyed Pontiak as well - blew my mind!

On 12/5/2019 at 3:27 PM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I had slacked pretty hard on picking up a lot of HOF's discography, but that black friday sale they did got me to pick up 4 albums I was missing. When i ordered all they had were black copies of most of them, but they ended up sending limited colored copies anyway! Pretty amped about it. Now to just pick up a copy of Snakes for the Divine, and De Vermis Mysteriis.

that’s sick. Relapse sale? Pretty sweet deal you got there. Almost got me copies from them as they had a hefty discount but was just lacking finance at that moment. Sort of good because for some reason HoF records don’t see too much play my turntable.

Pontiak are fucking intense. Saw them at Roadburn one year. So sick. Even more awesome that theyre all brothers.

Also, speaking of... two (or more!) unnamed Bongripper reissues going live through Burning World tonight. And FB interactions give me reason to believe that they might be Heroin and Hippie Killer

*Edit: as I was typing this, they sent the preorders up. Hippie Killer only. 4 variants. They had 2 found copies of Great Barrier Reefer as well but they went fast.

Edited by CaptainHerbalLife
Theyre live

12 minutes ago, CaptainHerbalLife said:

that’s sick. Relapse sale? Pretty sweet deal you got there. Almost got me copies from them as they had a hefty discount but was just lacking finance at that moment. Sort of good because for some reason HoF records don’t see too much play my turntable.

Pontiak are fucking intense. Saw them at Roadburn one year. So sick. Even more awesome that theyre all brothers.

Also, speaking of... two (or more!) unnamed Bongripper reissues going live through Burning World tonight. And FB interactions give me reason to believe that they might be Heroin and Hippie Killer

Some live albums no one asked for and a reissue of hippie killer. They refuse to repress Heroin for some reason. 

43 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Some live albums no one asked for and a reissue of hippie killer. They refuse to repress Heroin for some reason. 

Yeah those live albums been kicking for a while now. I never understood that. Youre there for the experience...kind of understand reliving it but on vinyl. Meh. A silly collector’s item in my book.

4 hours ago, CaptainHerbalLife said:

*Edit: as I was typing this, they sent the preorders up. Hippie Killer only. 4 variants. They had 2 found copies of Great Barrier Reefer as well but they went fast.

Not the relapse sale actually, HOF's webstore had crazy deals!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know some of you dudes appreciate a nice piece of artwork, and David D'Andrea (awesome dude, btw) did some pretty sweet posters for Levitation Fest, and one specifically for Windhand. They're screen printed and beautiful. I've got the Sleep triptych he did that I still need to get framed.

https://samaritanpress.org/?mc_cid=d5e32da0d3&mc_eid=d45a62708d

Hope somebody enjoys these.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Don't know if this is any good and can't listen at work right now. I haven't been much into anything on STB in awhile, so...

https://stbrecords.bandcamp.com/album/blood-of-the-night

Man his prices have gone up and the releases dont sell like they used to. 31.99 plus shipping for an obi...