Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

ELDER  NEW ALBUM ART / TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT!

"We can't wait any more to start rolling out some more news regarding the new album and upcoming tours so... we won't.

Here is the cover for our upcoming album "Reflections of a Floating World", handled by our resident visual magician Adrian Dexter, who again used album's double LP format in a unique and beautiful way. We'll reveal some more of his stunning work for the album and format details later.

To kick off the release, we will hit Europe for a tour in July/August, playing for the first time as a four-piece. We are happy to announce that labelmates King Buffalo will be joining us. They released their killer debut album "Orion" last year and we're looking forward to their jams live.

A US tour is in the works for October, as well as some other tours being planned. Can't wait to share the album with you all and see some new and old faces on the road soon."

Elder / King Buffalo European Tour 2017:

14.07.2017 GER - Erfurt, Stoned From The Underground
15.07.2017 PL - Pleszew , Red Smoke Festival 
16.07.2017 GER - Hannover, Chez Heinz
17.07.2017 DK - Copenhagen, Pumpehuset
18.07.2017 TBA
20.07.2017 NOR - Tromsö, Bukta Festival
21.07.2017 NOR - Oslo, Blå
22.07.2017 NOR - Fekkefjord, Fjellparkfestivalen 
24.07.2017 GER - Hamburg, Hafenklang
25.07.2017 GER - Wiesbaden, Schlachthof
26.07.2017 GER - Berlin, Lido
27.07.2017 NL - Nijmegen, Merleyn
28.07.2017 GER - Siegen, Vortex
29.07.2017 TBA 
 30.07.2017 F - Paris, Glazart
31.07.2017 GER - Munich, TBA 
01.08.2017 I - Milan, Magnolia
02.08.2017 RUS - Moscow, Volta*
03.08.2017 RUS - St.Petersburg, MOD*
04.08.2017 A - Waldhausen, Lake On Fire Festival
05.08.2017 GER - Beelen, Krach Am Bach 
06.08.2017 UK - Bristol, The Fleece 
07.08.2017 UK - Edinburgh, Studio 24
08.08.2017 UK - Manchester, Soup Kitchen
09.08.2017 UK - London, Underworld
10.08.2017 UK - Bournemouth
11.08.2017 P - Moledo, Sonic Blast Festival*

* only Elder

17626428_1467810789927474_89384802812072

17457569_1467820349926518_81676293918816

2 hours ago, elsanto said:

For Colour Haze In Her Garden...did you pre-order the vinyl?  I was just going to wait until ATIH has it.  Did you PO vinyl from somewhere else in the US?

I ordered the record from Elektrohasch but I ordered the CD from ATIH.  I wasn't sure when the record would show up and I really want to hear this.

http://www.elektrohasch.de/

54 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Very cool. We got a Neurosis with Converge show out here last year? I wasn't able to go. You will have a great night!

Good on you guys. Will also be lucky to see Neurosis in July, as they're coming through to Helsinki.
Speaking of, FFO Neurosis. Adrift For Days album coming in June and it prompted me to listen to their debut, which is also really solid. Recommended listen. Also their sophomore is available on wax, if interested. One great diverse trip to take. Here's the link to both albums and the new single.

https://adriftfordays.bandcamp.com/album/the-lunar-maria-2

https://adriftfordays.bandcamp.com/album/come-midnight-2

https://adriftfordays.bandcamp.com/album/a-sleepless-grey

15 hours ago, JoshuaNilk said:

This year's Toke record on sale from Emetic Records for those into that sort of doom

http://www.emeticrecords.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=toke&Submit=

Thanks for the heads up on Toke...missed out on the black/orange but got an orange one.

And thanks to the wizard that posted Dopelord Children of the Haze.  Spinning it now and its so good.

28 minutes ago, elsanto said:

Sharing this site I stumbled on today.   Seems to have a nice link to many of the bands mentioned here.

http://creeppurple.com/releases

That Atalla LP is pretty sweet. I seem to remember not really liking the vocals though.

Also, I'm going to see Conan on May 12 and I'm pretty damn stoked.

Any of you owning the Crypt Trip record find the the cymbals sounding very noisy in the mix?

Just gave it a spin on my new system, hadn't noticed it before.

Also, very stoked to finally have the first five Sabbath albums in my possession, all early presses as well that hit you like a ton of bricks. I've been buying off a local dude that runs a used store where he hunts down old presses from around the EU. Unfortunately the copy of Vol 4 is slightly scratched. And it's on 'Snowblind as well.
So, related question - what's are you guys' policy with used records? Do you manage to take it as it is and accept that old presses can't be perfect or need to have that unmarked wax? 

24 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

So, related question - what's are you guys' policy with used records? Do you manage to take it as it is and accept that old presses can't be perfect or need to have that unmarked wax? 

Yes. I will always seek out an original pressing where possible, flaws and all.  As long as the price is relative to the condition, taking into account the rarity. For example, I paid $5 for a very used (Good+)  Defenders of the Faith last week. Then, $15 for a Death Angel - Ultra-Violence in the same condition.  Then, $25 on Kreator - Pleasure to Kill in pretty much the same condition. They all have surface noise and worn covers, but they are still original, and that somehow makes me happy.

39 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Any of you owning the Crypt Trip record find the the cymbals sounding very noisy in the mix?

Also, very stoked to finally have the first five Sabbath albums in my possession, all early presses as well that hit you like a ton of bricks. I've been buying off a local dude that runs a used store where he hunts down old presses from around the EU. Unfortunately the copy of Vol 4 is slightly scratched. And it's on 'Snowblind as well.

Depends how much I paid for it. If I'm paying over $10 for something I'm looking for it to not really have anything that impacts sound/playback too much, but a blemish here and there can be ok.

Its been a while since I've spun that Crypt Trip. I'll try to give it a listen soon, but I don't recall the cymbals being overly splashy.

1 hour ago, JoshuaNilk said:

So, you have Vertigo pressings? Really want to listen to a Vertigo pressing of S/T to see if it's actually worth the money. As far as scratches, it definitely depends on price. I'm a lot more forgiving with old jazz records because the pressings for old Blue Notes were great and some scratches barely affect play. If I'm hearing an audible click it will bug me because I'm also thinking about what it's doing to my stylus every time it hits.

20 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

So, you have Vertigo pressings? Really want to listen to a Vertigo pressing of S/T to see if it's actually worth the money. As far as scratches, it definitely depends on price. I'm a lot more forgiving with old jazz records because the pressings for old Blue Notes were great and some scratches barely affect play. If I'm hearing an audible click it will bug me because I'm also thinking about what it's doing to my stylus every time it hits.

Nope, only Vol. 4 is Vertigo, all others by Nems.
I'm finding differing opinions on the web about the effect on stylus. As long as it doesn't really jump it shouldn't be too bad. Of course, issues due to coloured wax, with the wax itself bleeding into groove probably can't be too good. I just discovered that my copy of the latest Subrosa record (only spun it the second time recently) has some audible pops on two sides that overpowers the music. Kind of a bummer really. Too late to ask for a replacement as well. Might have to reconsider those splatter and haze LP's. Way too much of a lottery with those.

Edited by JoshuaNilk

Also, if any of you ever find yourself getting down on yourself about  THE HOBBY

just take one read of Henry Rollin's vinyl diaries and you'll be feeling better about your obsessions in no time

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-why-a-copy-of-damned-damned-damned-made-me-question-my-entire-record-collection-8125855

And am beyond elated to be heading to Roadburn for the first time this year. I know most of you guys here are stateside but anyone else going by any chance?

Edited by JoshuaNilk

32 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Also, if any of you ever find yourself getting down on yourself about  THE HOBBY

just take one read of Henry Rollin's vinyl diaries and you'll be feeling better about your obsessions in no time

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-why-a-copy-of-damned-damned-damned-made-me-question-my-entire-record-collection-8125855

And am beyond elated to be heading to Roadburn for the first time this year. I know most of you guys here are stateside but anyone else going by any chance?

I wish! Have fun, dude :)