Twistedshabazz

Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

37 minutes ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Has anyone received their Dopethrone album from Totem Cat Records? I remember ordering this in either late April/early May and the last update I remember seeing was the record was supposed to ship in August.

Damn, I had forgotten that I was waiting on that.

4 hours ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Has anyone received their Dopethrone album from Totem Cat Records? I remember ordering this in either late April/early May and the last update I remember seeing was the record was supposed to ship in August.

I remembered a month ago and then saw an update, then I remembered a few days ago and wrote them a "am I ever gonna see this record" email. Supposedly mine shipped. It feels like I ordered this a year ago. Their preorder window is starting to annoy me.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:44 PM, whoshotthefrog said:

19 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I remembered a month ago and then saw an update, then I remembered a few days ago and wrote them a "am I ever gonna see this record" email. Supposedly mine shipped. It feels like I ordered this a year ago. Their preorder window is starting to annoy me.

Showed up today. I forgot how shitty their packaging is. Massive corner crush and the package had gotten wet to the point that it was visibly damp inside. Fortunately, that seems limited to the package.

A package from SOM also in France showed up today too. Packed like a tank.

New CONAN, yeah much the same as the last 4 lps. I've been with them from the start, bought each one as it came out, but I think I may be Conaned out.  This one was kind of a bit more forgettable. Plus the new drummer is just playing too much for my liking.  I dunno, all starting to feel a bit perfunctory at this stage, getting their mega-expensive "product" out there every year. No more wholesale like the Burning World days. Recall about 5 years ago being thrilled to shit with the first couple of records but sorry since then they've churned out about 6 more LP's which aint been nearly as good. Maybe I'm jaded. Spoilt. Plus being signed up to the fuckwits at Big Business Napalm Records its all starting to feel a bit uh big business. Was wayyy more fun dealing with the guys at Burning World

on plus side, found out about new bands:

SUMAC

HEY COLOSSUS

6 hours ago, Sprague Dawley said:

New CONAN, yeah much the same as the last 4 lps. I've been with them from the start, bought each one as it came out, but I think I may be Conaned out.  This one was kind of a bit more forgettable. Plus the new drummer is just playing too much for my liking.  I dunno, all starting to feel a bit perfunctory at this stage, getting their mega-expensive "product" out there every year. No more wholesale like the Burning World days. Recall about 5 years ago being thrilled to shit with the first couple of records but sorry since then they've churned out about 6 more LP's which aint been nearly as good. Maybe I'm jaded. Spoilt. Plus being signed up to the fuckwits at Big Business Napalm Records its all starting to feel a bit uh big business. Was wayyy more fun dealing with the guys at Burning World

on plus side, found out about new bands:

SUMAC

HEY COLOSSUS

I thought something sounded a little "off" on the new record and a new drummer explains it. I still enjoy it, but yeah, I'm with you on a lot of what you said.

That said, allegedly vinyl pre-orders for the new(est) Spaceslug album go up today. Still pretty excited about those guys even though I preferred the last two full lengths to this one.

Spaceslug is up, but steeply priced. I feel gross for paying that much for it. If their next release is a similar price I'll be done collecting them :/  

edit: much cheaper through bilocation records. Don't make the same mistake I did by ordering through their Bandcamp. I'm just going to leave it, but it'll save you probably $10.

Edited by Ishtar

https://kurokumauk.bandcamp.com/album/dope-rider

looks like they have a 10” they just put out. Kind of fuzzy doom. I dig it. 

https://thesludgelord.bandcamp.com/album/threshold-between-worlds

kind of post rock doom. The song they posted I like but its a bit all over the place. 

https://udreka.bandcamp.com/releases

instrumental doom

https://unbandtl.bandcamp.com/album/sentiment

A bit funeral doom, a bit sounding like Form,  some very nice melodic parts. 

I suck and this was up on transition loss and is sold out. 

On 10/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, Ishtar said:

I thought something sounded a little "off" on the new record and a new drummer explains it. I still enjoy it, but yeah, I'm with you on a lot of what you said.

That said, allegedly vinyl pre-orders for the new(est) Spaceslug album go up today. Still pretty excited about those guys even though I preferred the last two full lengths to this one.

Completely with you on this.

Tbh, they lost me on Revengeance pretty much but Existential Void Guardian really takes the cake. Also got way too fast for my liking. Looking back now I'm finding it difficult to listen to their earlier stuff as well and am actually amidst selling stuff I own of theirs. Saw them live just a week ago and I definitely still rememberwhy I got into them, which was just mainly the brutality and upfrontness of their tone but sadly none of it is just doing it for me anymore. Seems one-dimensional to me now.

Edited by JoshuaNilk