Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

I think you guys should make a stoner/doom/psych 101 list. Or maybe a best of (insert year here) type list. I love stoner, doom, psych, black metal, etc. but the post rock thread tends to win my focus. I would love to see compiled lists, playlists, etc. of some of the top albums of the year, or the essentials (etc.). We do that over in post rock and seemed to be educating, and fun.

Most recently we did a top 15 post rock albums of all time, tallied all the votes for everything, then used that to make the essentials list.

Anyway, just throwing that suggestion out there.

I could see that happening here...except for the effort and coordination it would take ;)

We used to be much more active with sharing new bands. I go in waves though.

I could see that happening here...except for the effort and coordination it would take ;)

We used to be much more active with sharing new bands. I go in waves though.

Maybe we could get someone to streamline it.

This stuff just falls by the wayside in far of research goes (since post rock takes up most my time), so it would be cool to see an easy go to list of new stuff, etc.

But yeah, just an idea. Haha.

I have a spotify playlist of 800 songs that I usually go to, and try to keep up with releases of all included artists. That's all I really have though. Besides that, this thread, and the rockbox torrent site, that's all I have to keep up with stuff. Any other suggestions to keep up with recent releases / new artists, John?

Maybe we could get someone to streamline it.

This stuff just falls by the wayside in far of research goes (since post rock takes up most my time), so it would be cool to see an easy go to list of new stuff, etc.

But yeah, just an idea. Haha.

I have a spotify playlist of 800 songs that I usually go to, and try to keep up with releases of all included artists. That's all I really have though. Besides that, this thread, and the rockbox torrent site, that's all I have to keep up with stuff. Any other suggestions to keep up with recent releases / new artists, John?

Nothing has really been catching my ear lately. I've been concentrating on saving money lately instead of trying to buy new music :/

I was actually thinking today it woiuld be cool if we did a " letter list" where we took a letter and picked our favorite artists or maybe lesser known ones that we should all check out. Would require less tracking and people can suggest all different things.

This I could do for sure! Alright, I'm on board.

I was actually thinking today it woiuld be cool if we did a " letter list" where we took a letter and picked our favorite artists or maybe lesser known ones that we should all check out. Would require less tracking and people can suggest all different things.

I'd be down for this. 

But I'd reserve the right to go outside of stoner doom.

Look at us go. Should we start with a? I kinda like the idea of everyone offering one essential A and one you need to check this out A. Thoughts?

That can really limit flodding this thread so we can still focus on PO and other non alphabet list.

I have almost an entire list compiled!

A is an easy one for me :)

A:

Essential.

amenra-mass-v-cover.jpg

Amenra. Mass V | Neurot Recordings, Church of Ra | Belgium | 2012 || Doom, Sludge, Post-Metal

BC: https://churchofra.bandcamp.com/album/mass-v

Recommended.

a3046653615_10.jpg

Abstracter. Wound Empire | Vendetta Records | Oakland, CA | 2015 || Doom, Sludge, Black Metal, Crust

BC: https://abstracter.bandcamp.com/album/wound-empire

I can't narrow it down to just one band for A so i'm listing my top 5 with a some honorable mentions.

1. Alabama Thunderpussy
  2. Akimbo
  3. Acid King
  4. Amenra
  5. The Atomic Bitchwax

Honorable Mentions: Ancestors, Ahab, All Them Witches, Aluk Todolo, Aquilonian, Astra and Across Tundras