Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

29 minutes ago, 2notepockets said:

Anyone into Grief?

Pretty stoked to find a copy of '...And man will become the hunted' yesterday

semi transparent brown grey swirl hand numbered 154/166 :)

Would post a picture but not smart enough to work out how lel

The fuck's a lel, guy?

Kidding. Good score though! 

I'm not super into them personally, but finding older, limited stuff like that in good condition is always fun.

36 minutes ago, 74R said:

I like Grief a lot. I think people are either onboard the one-mile an hour tortured vocal slow train like Grief, Corrupted, Burning Witch, Toadliquor, Noothgrush, Monarch, etc. or they aren't. Not enough of them as far as I'm concerned!

Truth. The speed I was cool with, vocals didn't do it for me though.

23 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Truth. The speed I was cool with, vocals didn't do it for me though.

I feel musically i can get behind most stuff in this space but vocals can lose me very very quickly. There is stuff i turn off like 30 seconds into hearing the vocals because they are just abysmal. Bands need to stop putting their buddy who cant play an instruement in the band as singer just so he feels "includedL"

2 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I feel musically i can get behind most stuff in this space but vocals can lose me very very quickly. There is stuff i turn off like 30 seconds into hearing the vocals because they are just abysmal. Bands need to stop putting their buddy who cant play an instruement in the band as singer just so he feels "includedL"

I don't think the bands I mentioned though actually qualify as having people trying to sing. The dude from Burning Witch literally sounds like he's on fire at times & I think it goes perfectly with the music.

But sub-par singing by people trying to actually sing is really hard to stomach and is a pretty quick turn off. Lot of current stoner rock bangs are like this for me.

4 hours ago, 74R said:

I like Grief a lot. I think people are either onboard the one-mile an hour tortured vocal slow train like Grief, Corrupted, Burning Witch, Toadliquor, Noothgrush, Monarch, etc. or they aren't. Not enough of them as far as I'm concerned!

Love Burning Witch, Corrupted,  and Toadliquor. Noothgrush and Monarch are not bad. I never cared for Grief.

4 hours ago, 74R said:

Love Burning Witch, Corrupted,  and Toadliquor. Noothgrush and Monarch are not bad. I never cared for Grief.

4 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

I think Come To Grief is their best album. Some of the others definitely meander/drag a bit much at times. I remember this came out when I was 18 & I bought this & EHG's Take As Needed For Pain in the same trip to the record store. Changed my life. Definitely for the worse lol

50 minutes ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

I just started diving headlong into Esoteric, Evoken, and Skepticism again... and Thergothon.

I don't think I've ever heard Thergothon.

I lived pretty close to Wild Rags & was able to get the Esoteric cds from there & the Mindrot, Morgion demos which I'm sure that dude just continued to make until the store closed.

I was in a hardcore band that practiced in the same space as Morgion & Mindrot. One day we were just sitting in our room listening to Mindrot practice. It was like the heaviest, evil, fucking insane drum filled thing that made us sound totally pathetic. It was like they made us realize were just wasting our time so we broke up shortly after that.

Edited by 74R

7 hours ago, 74R said:

I don't think I've ever heard Thergothon.

I lived pretty close to Wild Rags & was able to get the Esoteric cds from there & the Mindrot, Morgion demos which I'm sure that dude just continued to make until the store closed.

I was in a hardcore band that practiced in the same space as Morgion & Mindrot. One day we were just sitting in our room listening to Mindrot practice. It was like the heaviest, evil, fucking insane drum filled thing that made us sound totally pathetic. It was like they made us realize were just wasting our time so we broke up shortly after that.

Didn't Mindrot breakup when the drummer joined that ska band Save Ferris?

4 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

Evoken rule.

Gotta be in the right mood for the super depressing tortured doom, whilst i dig it its not something i spin all all that often.

Iron Monkey type stuff with a few more hooks on the other hand :wub:

I've been listening to Quietus mostly but have not figured out where I want to go next with Evoken.

Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet is awesome too.

5 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Didn't Mindrot breakup when the drummer joined that ska band Save Ferris?

Haha. Yeah. He was pretty incredible though. I'm pretty sure there was some other drama within the band going on at the same time as well. I saw them 4-5 times live & once it seemed like a couple of the guys were just super pissed at each other & another time they were having sound problems, started arguing & then ended their set about 2 songs into it after yelling at each other for awhile on stage. 

20 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

I've been listening to Quietus mostly but have not figured out where I want to go next with Evoken.

Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet is awesome too.

I've only heard Atra Mors definitely worth checking out.

Not really up on my Evoken history didn't realise they've been around so long...

3 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

Not really up on my Evoken history didn't realise they've been around so long...

Yeah Evoken really is one of the 1st batch of funeral doom bands with Thergothon probably being the 1st (or simultaneosuly with Cathedral) with Evoken, Esoteric,and Skepticism all coming either around the same time or just after...

It's crazy to think that they all came up around the same time. 

3 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

Yeah Evoken really is one of the 1st batch of funeral doom bands with Thergothon probably being the 1st (or simultaneosuly with Cathedral) with Evoken, Esoteric,and Skepticism all coming either around the same time or just after...

It's crazy to think that they all came up around the same time. 

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

ITTCT tomorrow and Monolord Friday! (I'm more stoked about Beastmaker though!)

Beastmaker were great. 

I was hoping Monolord would have the foil edition of Empress Rising, but they didn't. I did get a copy of Vaenir signed by the band though. The show was awesome.

29 minutes ago, Youinreverse said:

Beastmaker were great. 

I was hoping Monolord would have the foil edition of Empress Rising, but they didn't. I did get a copy of Vaenir signed by the band though. The show was awesome.

Nice! Did Beastmaker have records at a reasonable price?