Need advice, new to vinyl setups :)

So I've been collecting for a year and decided its time to get started listening. My all black debut Carbon showed up a few days ago (340 shipped to my door) but I need a pre amp.

I was wondering if I could run into a phono pre and then into my Krk rokit6 monitors for now until I move into a new place and get a hifi? Remember I'm new to this :)

Was looking at rega mm mk2 pre

Please make recommendations under 500

Thanks guys,

Mason

$500 budget just for the preamp?

I mean, for the current setup, something in the $200 price range would be more than enough. Though if you plan on upgrading everything down the line, getting a better phono stage doesn't hurt, but if you're planning to stay with this setup for a while, $500 is unnecessary.

My choice would be the Cambridge Audio 651p. But if you really want to spend more, look at the Pro-Ject Phono Box DS.

And yeah, you can run the phono directly into your KRKs.

Yeah...I wasn't planning on it really. I just liked having a record with a digital copy more than a scratched up cd. It started out just getting a few city and colour records. I believe bring me your love swirl was the first, and it came with the booklet and It just changed my view completely. Now I've got all these

( http://deadformat.net/tradelist/Buttercup24 )and wanna start listening to them.

What the fuck.

Yeah? I don't get what's wrong with that... I originally just started getting ones from my favorite bands then I just got more into it, found some of my dads old records, and played those on my grams player ( you know the ones you can order out of any of those old people general item Xmas gift magazines? Haha) yeah well it sounded like shit but it was fun, the first time id ever played a record. and the more I got into it the more I realized I wanted to give it a shot. Even though I haven't started playing yet I'm definitely anxious down the road to start modding and trying different cartridges and components to get the best sound.

I've just never known about it man. I'm no stranger to hifi though, I got some beats studios last year and they are the best headphones in the world!!!

Hahahahahaha don't tear me up over that I'm only kidding. I despise beats with a passion. But I would definity say I'm not ok with an average setup. Like I said though, I'm really new to all of this actually. So sorry if any of that seems strange. But that's how I got here. But any info is greatly appreciated.

I'll be honest, I find it easier to understand someone who buys 30 or 40 records before getting a turntable and then buys a Debut Carbon, than understanding someone who owns thousands of records and still plays them on their hardly-even-working $10 goodwill table or a brand new crosley. And we all know which type of collector is more common here.  :ph34r:

Do you guys recommend these over a standard phono box from project ? Or maybe a used tube box?

The standard PJ phono box is okay, but not as good as your table deserves. A used tube box on the other hand would be a perfect match, though tubes aren't for everyone.

Yeah from what I've read online that's a good suggestion, and you all know that you can't put anything on the net that isn't true ;)... Yeah I know, horrible joke. But seriously I've started reading your beginner thread and you definitly know your stuff, I've been trying to get good deals on tube boxes on eBay ( obviously not working out) and now I've read the new rega mk2 is awesome. But idk anyone who has one. Know anything about it?

Slincg- What do you mean tubes arnt for everyone? Drawbacks besides having to replace them?

Also a little off topic, but is the debut carbon a worthy table to upgrade? Or should I just save the money down the road for something like a clearaudio entry level. I see people putting a lot of money into these carbons, and by the time you add up speed boxes, platters, cartridges ... Its getting to a whole other level of tables in my opinion

Slincg- What do you mean tubes arnt for everyone? Drawbacks besides having to replace them?

Also a little off topic, but is the debut carbon a worthy table to upgrade? Or should I just save the money down the road for something like a clearaudio entry level. I see people putting a lot of money into these carbons, and by the time you add up speed boxes, platters, cartridges ... Its getting to a whole other level of tables in my opinion

Tubes (valves) are old technology which is not to say worse but do have physical drawbacks as well as many pluses.

A simple solid state phono pre will sound pretty much the same everyday and pretty much as soon as you power it on, a tube one needs to warm up to sound it's best and the tubes a deteriorating every time you use them.

That said the warm up to me is part of the theatre of it all and the end result is well worth the wait.

And for amps like the project that use common tube types if you don't like the sound just change the tubes as the same tube from different makes will sound vastly different in the same amp.

Also the tube sound can be a bit Marmite in that you will probably have a strong opinion on the sound one way or the other. I love the tube sound and even have a tube in the output of my CD player and in the output of my tuner but some just can't stand it.

Of the solid state (non tube) pre's I can vouch for the Cambridge, the Musical Fidelity, the Rega and the NAD but found the Project a little lacking.

All of them have a ceiling for the cartridge they will match to and as always get the best you can afford because as you upgrade other things the money you invested earlier will come to the fore.

The best advice is to listen to as many as possible and also look at the resale values because if you get it home and don't like the thing it will be less of a worry if you can sell it on for not much of a loss.

with any turntable I have found that you don't really get the upgrade costs back but it does make it easier to sell. That's not really the point of doing it to me though, it's part of the enjoyment and any proper turntable is worth having a go at upgrading if you can justify it to yourself.

The key is to use all your equipment for a good while to get used to them so if you do upgrade you will know with certainty if the upgrade was worthwhile.

Thanks for the response! I have a handful of tube guitar amps so I understand them for those aspects I just don't have any real experience with them in stereos. If it even makes a difference.

I found the new rega mm mk2 for 300 bucks and that's 100 less than anywhere else and it's got a few stellar reviews. Or I found i could spend about 500 and get a jolida jd9 II?

If you are familiar with tube guitar amps then you will be fine as the same rules apply sound wise.

I haven't heard the Jolida and would like to find someone who has to see whether it's any good as I've had mixed success with Chinese tube hifi and price seems to be no real factor in the quality.

The only saving grace with tube stuff you don't like the sound of you can just change the tubes, if you don't like the sound of a solid state one like most on the market you are stuck with that sound.

The Rega is a very good pre for the price but does restrict you to MM or high output MC carts unless you use step up transformer