[PO] Caspian // Hymn For The Greatest Generation

• 4 weeks later...

The new track released on FB last night built around the music box contest (pretty sure it wasn't my riff sent it), is absolutely another Caspian classic. 

Thank good ness I don't have access to leaked material or I would be tempted.  It really is that good. The Beverly boyz are on a roll, they can do no wrong at this point. So stoked!

anyone going to see them in chicago this weekend?

I am here and was thinking about going..

I almost committed to venturing out for this date. Good friend of mine is out there but overall it's just too much given the fact that I'm doing Denver, SLC, SF & LA.

I say you should DEFINITELY GO tho!!!

The new track released on FB last night built around the music box contest (pretty sure it wasn't my riff sent it), is absolutely another Caspian classic.

Thank good ness I don't have access to leaked material or I would be tempted. It really is that good. The Beverly boyz are on a roll, they can do no wrong at this point. So stoked!

As usual, right on point Don!

"The Heart That Fed" is fkn amazing. Everything 'new' is immediately classic with these dudes. So much talent endlessly pouring out from these great guys onto us ever so lucky listeners :)

"The Heart That Fed" is fkn amazing. Everything 'new' is immediately classic with these dudes.

Yeah, all three of the new tracks on this EP are fantastic.  The Heart That Fed may be my favorite, though.  Really blew me away on the first listen.  For those who didn't know, it also incorporates the winning music-box melody from the contest they held a year ago.

Oh, and for those who're interested (and also pre-ordered), digital downloads went out this morning.

Am I missing out on this band? Never have listened, but I try to be weary of post rock bands cause I get tired of the EitS impostors. 

I think you should take the time to check them out.  They don't really remind me of EitS too much.  If you're listening for it, you might get a similarity here or there.  But, EitS wouldn't be the first post-rock band that I would compare them to.

Edit : Just listened to Tertia for the first time in a while and I do hear some EitS sounding stuff on a few songs.  Still worth checking out though.

Am I missing out on this band? Never have listened, but I try to be weary of post rock bands cause I get tired of the EitS impostors.

I would HIGHLY recommend investing time in Caspian.

These guys started only shortly after EITS and have always mentioned that their writing was always meant to be what was felt. These guys never followed a guideline to remain a "post-rock" sound. So as far as 'imposters', you're safe :)

Personally, this band has meant a LOT to me after having listened to a vast majority of what's out there and accessible within this genre. I'm always searching for acts to show some love to, but no matter the band, I always venture back to Caspian.

I feel like they can absolutely nail the delicacies of what EITS has become so well known for... But turn it up notches further!! :D

I just saw EITS a few months ago at a small venue and will be seeing Caspian at a small venue for the first time tmrw. That will be the ultimate comparison for me. I'll get back to this post then.

I think these 2 bands do their own thing and invoke uniquely different feelings within the listener.

As far as vinyl, Caspian is a definite MUST. Be careful with variant collecting though. Their stuff is pretty much an obsession to the fans who delve deep into their stuff, myself included! :P

Yes, you've missing out (imho), but the great thing is that it's never too late with music - the party goes on forever. And Caspian are touring CONSTANTLY - they are road warriors for sure. Their live performance blows away the studio productions, and they seem to keep getting better year on year.

PR is such a huge, diverse 'genre' (EiTS certainly named in there, along with Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Mono, and GY!BE - "The Big 5") with a lot of bands distancing themselves from the whole 'post' label as there are so many different sounds. I do recognize the stereotype of soft-loud 'formula' and then wall of sound climaxes, etc.

Seriously, I've listened to hundreds of bands "RIYL" postrock, and I 've heard alot about EiTS impostors:

Can you name a few of them for me to check out to see what you mean?

Maybe I've just been lucky and steered away from them by fellow listeners, and one has only so much time.

I don't dislike EiTS at all, but need to be in a certain mood for them. It takes alot of listens and a musical ear to catch the different nuances between releases, and I can see how some say "Their albums all sound the same."

I totally understand where you're coming from.  There are far too many post-rock bands that sound alike, and many of them fall in the wake of EITS.  I really feel as if Caspian's earlier work is the only material of theirs that shares any resemblance with Explosions.  Their 2012 album, Waking Season, has little (or zero) of your "typical" / shimmery tremolo / cookie-cutter / (yawn) post-rock moments.  Check out [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5Pkd9BaEA]this performance[/i] of the second track, Procellous.  Song is massive, and builds from an ethereal intro that wouldn't be out of place on a BOC record.  I find them to be far, far more dynamic than EITS, and a lot of bands - new and old - in the genre.