VC Site Down / Post Count/ Site Issues / Deleted Profiles

admin

Hey All! I apologize it has taken a few hours to get an address up as to what happened. Here is all the info:

Yesterday at approximately 4:30 pm our servers were shut down by the server company due to a smoke alarm. We were told they determined there was no fire at the data center and that all servers were properly shut down while the fire department assessed the situation. A short while after they began to turn on the servers, with ours going on at about 9 pm EST.

At this time our site was up but many pages were not working. Our server admin believes the servers were not actually 'properly' shut down and because of this there were some issues with MySQL tables. He worked all night and was able to restore everything a few hours ago.

TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE everything on VC was restored. However there are SOOO many pages on this site it is impossible to know. So if you encounter any issues please do not use the support forum or post here. Well you are welcome to of course post issues and discuss here but IN ORDER FOR ANY ISSUES TO GET RESOLVED you must email us:

[email protected]

We will of course be looking at comments here and support forum however the email is the only way for us to deal with each individual one properly and in a quick manner.

Also we have been working with servers and server providers for many years and assure this is a rare occurrence. Despite that with electronics you are always at risk of things like this. Once we are confident all data is properly restored the team will be looking at options to minimize downtime if something like this ever happens again.

For those interested here is the article on what happened:

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/web-host-gigenet-goes-down

*UPDATE ON POST COUNTS/ DELETED PROFILES - Please note during the time of the outage a few members profiles were deleted. In order to restore their information we had to run a post recount. What this means is that everything is recounted. If a post is deleted it does not take that away from your post count, unless we run a post recount. Many of you have been on here for many, many years and I guess this has never been done before. If you have any questions let us know.

If your PROFILE WAS DELETED please email [email protected] the following:

1.) Username

2.) A Link to a thread you started

We will gladly assist in restoring your data.

UPDATE: OCTOBER 10TH OUTAGE - We experience another outage on Thursday Oct 10th around 9 pm EST. This was due to a MySQL error from the server outage the previous day. The issue has been fixed and everything has been restored to the best of our knowledge.

Please note I have added an update above to include some issues that we have noted since the meltdown. Here it is as well:

*UPDATE ON POST COUNTS/ DELETED PROFILES - Please note during the time of the outage a few members profiles were deleted. In order to restore their information we had to run a post recount. What this means is that everything is recounted. If a post is deleted it does not take that away from your post count, unless we run a post recount. Many of you have been on here for many, many years and I guess this has never been done before. If you have any questions let us know.

If your PROFILE WAS DELETED please email [email protected] the following:

1.) Username

2.) A Link to a thread you started

We will gladly assist in restoring your data.

Thanks to everyone who has been putting in the work to get things up and running again. I was getting anxious about not being able to whine about what is/isn't getting repressed.

But yeah, seriously, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...