Secret Audio Club - Wax Packs Series 1

chaps

I think this is heavily weighted on cities having small groups of collectors within a certain distance in order to trade in person/at a shop.

We would almost benefit from doing a group buy for VC and having one person open a case and list everything for people to buy at cost+shipping.  Or pick them like a draft.

The draft idea is amazing.  The logistics of pulling it off effectively seem problematic though.

The draft idea is amazing.  The logistics of pulling it off effectively seem problematic though.

Yeah. I'd love to be a part of it. I'd even be willing to pick up a case from chaps, assuming he has them in rochester somewhere. I'd be willing to ship everything. But I don't want to be responsible for orchestrating and managing.

I think this is heavily weighted on cities having small groups of collectors within a certain distance in order to trade in person/at a shop.

We would almost benefit from doing a group buy for VC and having one person open a case and list everything for people to buy at cost+shipping. Or pick them like a draft.

I guess that works, but it's still a flawed system. It's encouraging people to buy many more than are in the set and guaranteeing doubles. The baseball card model works because a pack is cheap. If a pack of baseball cards was $25, no one would buy it. And even with baseball cards you had the option to buy the complete set.

I'm all for surprises and new way of doing things, but I think this needs to be thought out more to be effective.

For me, I'm don't want doubles and I'm not interested in the headaches of organizing trades. I'll pass.

I agree. It's pretty much guaranteeing people get doubles and have to spend extra money to get the records they want (either by shipping to trade or buying from someone else). I find it ridiculous that there's no convenient way to get the whole set without getting doubles.

We would almost benefit from doing a group buy for VC and having one person open a case and list everything for people to buy at cost+shipping.  Or pick them like a draft.

The idea is for you and a friend, to buy a few boxes and have a fun friday night exploring new music. Maybe bring a friend into our world that isn't even into vinyl, but likes music! What a great way to bring someone into something we all love so much.

Honestly I don't know what to think about this.  In reality yes it's cool, and it would be a great way to get me into some bands I don't know.  Going through the list of bands I know 5 of them so 15 bands are complete unknowns to me.  I also did grow up opening packs of Football and Baseball cards and still every year end up buy a pack or two of cards to recreate that fun. 

Will vinyl records be able to reproduce some of that fun?  Probably not, but I'll still most likely end up picking up a box.

I think you might have as much fun opening these as a pack of cards man. There are going to be some surprises in here not on the checklist. If there's any other questions you have before picking up a box - let me know! 

Guys - I have this figured out as well, I didn't want to reveal it yet - but here we go. This is big in the trading card world, it's called case breaking. It's so team collectors can only get their team out of a case of product. 

I or a trading card case breaker will be hosting live case breaks online via youstream. There are two ways of doing it. The first is a draft, which isn't a logistical problem, I have it figured out how it would work, you buy however many draft slots you want, then once the break is done a survey monkey is sent out to everyone and they rank their selection of the records pulled out of a case.

The other is draft by "team" in this case 7". You will purchase that "team" and then every 7" and trading card out of the case (Tests, color vinyl, black vinyl and any other surprises) from that 7" - you get. 

More details on this closer to release. But in this, you may get doubles. So maybe team up with another vc member and split the cost of a slot. Please note it's common practice for the more popular teams to be more expensive, sometimes they let you pick the teams, other times it's random. 

There's a lot we can do! 

I think this is an amazing idea. Bravo sir.

Thanks! 

I guess that works, but it's still a flawed system. It's encouraging people to buy many more than are in the set and guaranteeing doubles. The baseball card model works because a pack is cheap. If a pack of baseball cards was $25, no one would buy it. And even with baseball cards you had the option to buy the complete set.

I'm all for surprises and new way of doing things, but I think this needs to be thought out more to be effective.

For me, I'm don't want doubles and I'm not interested in the headaches of organizing trades. I'll pass.

Hickey - I'm sorry this isn't for you, when launching this I knew it wasn't going to be for everyone. I have a lot planned for this that I haven't revealed yet - so hopefully something will grab your fancy. 

This was very well thought out and has been in the works for over a year and half, ask any of the bands on this project -  I've been working nights and weekends for the past year to make this happen, getting 19 bands together is tough work!! 

I researched Baseball cards before even committing to this project and I'm now a collector again! Some people do buy them because they are cheap - Kids maybe, but people also enjoy trading them with friends, collecting etc. Lots of times people just give away the doubles to friends or other collectors, it's a pretty cool community. I remember when Chuck D gave me the original title fight 7" for free when it first came out. We are always sending records to each other! Everyone has their own reason for collection. But I will note that not all cards are cheap, there are baseball card packs that retail for $500 / pack. 

Im sure you'd be able to pick up a complete set on the secondary market. But if there's anything I can do to help you, please just send me an email [email protected] - I'm more than willing to help if I can. 

Also - as you may or may not know, at the end of the year trading card companies usually release "factory sealed sets" at the end of the season. So who knows if we have something special planned for that or not  ^_^

A set of sports cards is usually 100+ and the price of a pack of cards has gone up quite a bit. The retail packs at Walmart are basically worthless because they're different than the hobby packs at hobby shops. A few years ago I spent over $100 for a pack containing one card.

case breaking would be difficult in terms of drafting by team. i think there will be instances where two people want to draft the same "team" (artist) and the other artists will go "undrafted." i do like the idea, though. i just don't know how that conflict would be sorted out.

as for draft slots, though, i'm totally down for that.

either way, i'd definitely be down for a case break. let me know if it comes to fruition.

A set of sports cards is usually 100+ and the price of a pack of cards has gone up quite a bit. The retail packs at Walmart are basically worthless because they're different than the hobby packs at hobby shops. A few years ago I spent over $100 for a pack containing one card.

Was that $100 the retail price or was that a secondary market markup?

Regardless, this type of model isn't for me. I like discovering new bands, but I'm more likely to do that buy buying a 10 7" box set that contains a few bands I already like, instead of taking a chance at getting something I like while potentially getting all crap and then having to find a way to unload it (while likely paying to do so with shipping, etc...).

That said, I wish this endeavor every success, I just won't be participating.

case breaking would be difficult in terms of drafting by team. i think there will be instances where two people want to draft the same "team" (artist) and the other artists will go "undrafted." i do like the idea, though. i just don't know how that conflict would be sorted out.

as for draft slots, though, i'm totally down for that.

either way, i'd definitely be down for a case break. let me know if it comes to fruition.

I'll start to work out some details and options. Expect something in January prior to release. 

Regardless, this type of model isn't for me. I like discovering new bands, but I'm more likely to do that buy buying a 10 7" box set that contains a few bands I already like, instead of taking a chance at getting something I like while potentially getting all crap and then having to find a way to unload it (while likely paying to do so with shipping, etc...).

No worries brother. Thanks for giving it a chance! 

i would be down for that.

This would make me more likely to try to collect them all rather than just the two or three I really want.

This would make me more likely to try to collect them all rather than just the two or three I really want.

Just so you guys know, I'm really close to getting this set up. It's going to cost a bit as the vendor is from the UK. But they are some legit binders and pages. 

Will post a link once I have them in hand and for sale in the store. 

International folks - Alan @ different kitchen is organizing a group buy / swap club. Send him an email here for details - Alan Beningfield <[email protected]> also banquet records just put up the pre order - http://www.banquetrecords.com/waxpacks

Preordered two boxes from dk.

http://differentkitchen.bigcartel.com/product/secret-audio-club-wax-packs-series-1-pre-order-deposit

Hope I get some of my wants... Fingers crossed.

i looked up all the bands on bandcamp. you can likely stream entire discographies before having to make a decision to purchase. that way it's not a complete gamble.