The Academy Is... - Almost Here

just got this in. i can't be the only one thats not overly impressed with the sound quality.  Its not bad by any means, but to say " IT SOUNDS GREAT!" would be an over statement. maybe I'm just crazy. 

Definitely just solidified this as not a must-have right there. I trust isavedlatin54's opinion. I'll wait for the price to go down much lower in the future. 

Definitely just solidified this as not a must-have right there. I trust isavedlatin54's opinion. I'll wait for the price to go down much lower in the future. 

my man! grab it while (if) you still can. it doesn't sound bad at all.  Im just hard dude to please.  I just wouldn't use the word "amazing" when talking about the sound quality.

my man! grab it while (if) you still can. it doesn't sound bad at all. Im just hard dude to please. I just wouldn't use the word "amazing" when talking about the sound quality.

Can you qualify what's wrong with the "sound quality"? I'm not doubting you. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. But I would like a more detailed, thoughtful analysis. Was the mastering poor? Bad mix on the drums? Lots of IGD? Did they try to shove too many tracks on a single LP? Poor soundstage? What's your reference material?

Can you quality what's wrong with the "sound quality"? I'm not doubting you. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. But I would like a more detailed, thoughtful analysis. Was the mastering poor? Bad mix on the drums? Lots of IGD? Did they try to shove too many tracks on a single LP? Poor soundstage? What's your reference material?

I guess it doesn't sound much better than the CD. In my opinion the drums get lost in the mix. As far as noise or anything like that, there isn't any which is obviously a plus. I went from my og pressing of fever from panic to this and I was just underwhelmed I guess

I guess it doesn't sound much better than the CD. In my opinion the drums get lost in the mix. As far as noise or anything like that, there isn't any which is obviously a plus. I went from my og pressing of fever from panic to this and I was just underwhelmed I guess

Vinyl isn't a silver bullet -- if a CD is mixed and mastered well, a different format ain't gonna do much. What often happens with modern pop/rock releases is the CD mastering is crushed beyond belief to make it sound "good" (or competitive, rather) on the popular distribution channels. But the vinyl pressing is mastered in a more sensible fashion, which really does make the music come alive. I've got more records like this than I can count.

Not to mention a lot of freshman albums are recorded terribly because, hey, why not? From a music exec's POV, a new pop/rock band is just fresh meat that could very well never take off. If it sounds good (read: loud) on the radio and blasted through DBX clients, why spend tens of thousands on extra studio/personnel time? The mid 2000s were an especially dark time in this regard. Which brings me back to my first point. Compare Is a Real Boy to In Defense of the Genre.

Vinyl isn't a silver bullet -- if a CD is mixed and mastered well, a different format ain't gonna do much. What often happens with modern pop/rock releases is the CD mastering is crushed beyond belief to make it sound "good" (or competitive, rather) on the popular distribution channels. But the vinyl pressing is mastered in a more sensible fashion, which really does make the music come alive. I've got more records like this than I can count.

oh yea i know. for some reasons I was/am under the impression that this was remastered for a vinyl release.

I'm honestly surprised by this. I really think my copy sounds pretty much top notch. MUCH better than some Victory records I've had that sound very quiet/muddy. To each his own!

I'm honestly surprised by this. I really think my copy sounds pretty much top notch. MUCH better than some Victory records I've had that sound very quiet/muddy. To each his own!

maybe I'm just in a bad mood and its making my ears stupid. i don't know. crazy matt, spewing his craziness.  ;)

my man! grab it while (if) you still can. it doesn't sound bad at all.  Im just hard dude to please.  I just wouldn't use the word "amazing" when talking about the sound quality.

Yeah, I'd say the sound quality is definitely good enough to get it while you can! I was 50/50 on getting it, but when I saw it in-store I caved. Very glad I did now though.

I will probably get it. I was just hoping that maybe sometime further down the line it would get repressed again and after the whole vinyl craze had died down and prices started dropping again. Probably being too hopeful. It's just ridiculous seeing the prices on these single LPs, and the 3EB's. Vinyl is starting to become too expensive a hobby for me. But I'll power through it.