Need Help Finding Speakers

Hey guys,

I recently got a new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (which has yet to arrive unfortunately) and I am trying to get my system all set up. I have a Denon AVR-810 Receiver with a phono input and some really crappy speakers that came with my Onkyo surround sound system. Blech. Anyway, I need some help finding some decent bookshelf speakers and I have a maximum budget of $100 right now. I have been looking on craigslist and this is what I have found within that price range.

TEAC LS-MC90 Two Way Bookshelf Speakers - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/eld/4121330580.html

Polk Audio S4 Bookshelf speakers - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/4111872828.html

JBL "2500" Bookshelf speakers - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/4105294722.html

JBL P10 Bookshelf speakers - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/4118655203.html

Infinity Reference standard RS2 Bookshelf speakers - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/4118434021.html

I also am definitely open to purchasing online if someone could make a good recommendation for something in my price range. Also, does anyone know anything about Denon receivers? Is this something I should quickly upgrade? It seems like a pretty good quality receiver but unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about it.

Thanks!

Depends where in the world you are as to what will be a good suggestion but make sure you mate your speakers rating to your amp so if your amps outputs are 40W RMS @ 8ohms you need speakes where the ohm value matches and the W value is ideally a little higher.

Much higher and the amp won't drive them properly and much lower and you will blow them.

Generally only good stuff quotes RMS power if it only gives peak power chances are it's cack.

If the ohm values don't match it puts the W out as well and makes the speakers difficult to drive.

Some amps will drive a range like 4 to 8 ohms in that case you have more choice.

Sorry I don't have a lot of experience with Denon recievers and I'm sure someone can offer a more educated opinion but as a very general rule Denon are known for AV equipment so if it's within the last 10 or 15 years chances are musicality is secondary.

That said if it has a phono stage built in that's not a bad sign and I would guess it's before they got deeply into AV

Hope that helps

Thanks a ton for the advice. So I have done some further research and found a couple more options online and I'm sticking with one of the craigslist options from my first list. If you were choosing from these options, what would your preference be?

Used JBL 2500 Bookshelf speakers - http://losangeles.cr...4105294722.html

Infinity Primus P143 Two-way 4-Inch Bookshelf Speakershttp://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0044D3R7M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Polk Audio New Monitor 35B Compact Bookshelf Loudspeaker - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290275

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch 2-Way Bookshelf Speakerhttp://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU

I also might consider throwing in a little more cash for something I could be happier with. What speakers do you use that you would HIGHLY recommend that would cost under $150?

The problem with speakers is the weight so the cheaper stuff from the good makers doesn't tend to travel over the Atlantic in either direction, so what I would suggest from over here would be either not available or bloody expensive if it was.

Looking at all the pictures and going purely on instinct I would go with the JBL's but being 2nd hand would want to know the history of them.

Of the new ones the Daytons look super cheap but not in a good way, for $49 they are, of the others the Polk and Infinity look much of a muchness but the Infinity look the better bet if you want any bass out of them.

The first question I would ask is how will you be using them?

These are all near field monitor type speakers so meant to be used with a very small listening field, i.e I have a pair of LS 3/5a's that are either end of my desk (3-4 feet apart) with the idea being they act like a big pair of headphones when I am at the desk (2 feet away) but move away from the desk much and they lose a lot.

If you are intending using these speaker with these sort of distances then fine but if not you want something with a little more girth. It's usually the distance you are away from them that will be the problem.

The first question I would ask is how will you be using them?

These are all near field monitor type speakers so meant to be used with a very small listening field, i.e I have a pair of LS 3/5a's that are either end of my desk (3-4 feet apart) with the idea being they act like a big pair of headphones when I am at the desk (2 feet away) but move away from the desk much and they lose a lot.

If you are intending using these speaker with these sort of distances then fine but if not you want something with a little more girth. It's usually the distance you are away from them that will be the problem.

THey will be used in a small room, not more than 100-120 sq ft and I will usually be about 6-8 feet from them at any given time.

Ugh. I hate you guys haha. Those speakers are amazing and I have been looking up info for them all morning! Here's my question though... The speaker impedance is 6 ohms and my receiver is 8 ohms. From a previous post it seemed like it was not a good idea to have a mismatched impedance, why is that?

The good news is I just got another $100 as a late birthday gift so I have a bit more money I can play with. I think my max to spend would be about $250 or MAYBE $300.

6 ohms should be ok with your receiver.

The impedance is a bit of a red herring as it changes over the frequency range but the figure quoted by a speaker manufacturer is always useful in knowing if your amp will drive it well.

It is all to do with the load (the speakers) the amplifier is trying to drive, if you try and drive 4 ohm speakers with your 8 ohm output the amplifier will need to work harder than it should at high volumes to drive them but at normal volumes it's not a real problem. I made the comment just in case you crank the volume up on a regular basis and were going to use 4 ohm speakers on an 8ohm output.

Wharfdale and quite a few others quote 6 ohm as it will match with most amplifiers.

Found this article online that might help.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57606904-47/speaker-specifications-a-consumer-guide/

It talks about all the values on the back of a speaker and speaker and room size etc. Have a read it will probabaly answer a lot of your questions and help you reject quite a few speakers.

Ugh. I hate you guys haha. Those speakers are amazing and I have been looking up info for them all morning! Here's my question though... The speaker impedance is 6 ohms and my receiver is 8 ohms. From a previous post it seemed like it was not a good idea to have a mismatched impedance, why is that? The good news is I just got another $100 as a late birthday gift so I have a bit more money I can play with. I think my max to spend would be about $250 or MAYBE $300.

Keep your eye on musicdirect! I got my wharfedales for $270 shipped because they were floor models. 

If you can get the Epos Epic 2's for that price new I would snap them up, they are in a different league to the Wharfdale's.

Over here the the Epos are £420 plus which with current exchange rates is nearly $700.

The Wharfdale by comparison are £149 which is roughly $245.

Although both supposedly British companies Whrafdale is only really the name as a brand owned by someone else whereas Epos is still Epos and like I say a different league altogether.

I would go for the cherry though it looks much more classy than the black.

Honestly if you're close to the $300 you might as well just hold out a little bit longer and get the Wharfedales I've heard great things about them. Yes, its about $200 more than you originally wanted to spend, but overall speakers are probably one of the most important parts to your whole system.  However if you want to get something cheaper that's totally up to you and understandable if you can't afford it.

You guys are killing me but I'm thinking you are right. I don't want to cheap out on speakers that I will want to upgrade later on. I looked into the Epos Epic 2's on musicdirect.com but it looks like they don't sell them anymore. They do, however have the Epic 1's. How do these compare? I'm deciding that my max is $350. Here's the ones that I have found that look like thy would be a good fit for my system.

EPOS - EPIC 1 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57508-epos-epic-1-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

FOCAL - CHORUS 705V BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41245-focal-chorus-705v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

WHARFEDALE - DIAMOND 10.1 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15476-wharfedale-diamond-101-bookshelf-speaker-pr.aspx

Also, I jut saw the Wharfdale - Diamond 10.0 Bookshelf Speakers demo on sale for $199 on music direct. What do you think of those? Both the model and the fact that they are demos?

I'll probably update my amp eventually too, but I am not looking to do that any time soon haha.

If it was my money out of those three I would discount anything Wharfdale. The Epos will be the better quality and warmer the Focal more instantly ear catching, so purely on value for money alone I would go Epos, also if you intend to listen to them for long periods then again I would choose the Epos.

I'm very impressed that Focal are available in the US though.

The prices on both are very good so I guess they have dropped their prices to get a foothold in the US market. The epos here are about £325 / $535 and the Focal £215 / $355 so like I say the Epos are very well priced.

So I think I have this narrowed down to two - the Epos Epic 1 for $300 or the demo Wharfedale 10.0 for $200. Based on the fact that I started at wanting to get something under $100, I feel like I am leaning for the demo Wharfedales but I also don't want to pass on the Epos Epics if they are THAT much better.

Also, yes I am looking to upgrade my amp eventually but right now I need to stick with what I've got. My amp is rated for 8 ohms and 80 watts. I want to keep this in consideration when choosing speakers. The Epos Epic 1's have a 4ohm nominal impedance and a 20-100 watt capacity while the Wharfedales are 6ohm nominal and 15-75 watts. Does one of these stand out as ideal for the amp that I currently have while also being able to perform even better with a better amp?

Tricky. The Epos are a better power rating match but the Whatfdales a better impedance match. Unless you intend to run a high volumes for very long periods then neither should be a problem, plus the speaker ratings will probabaly be more accurate than those of your amplifier.

The Epos are a true hifi speaker so will work with a much better amplifier quite happily whereas the Wharfdales while very good are more of a mass produced item and will be amp limited quite low down the food chain but this is reflected in the price. Both seem quite keenly priced but the Epos more so even though they are the more expensive.

My only real worry with the Epos is that you wont hear how much better they are until you drive them with a better amplifier.

Either way $200 or $300 it's still a chunk of money and you want to be happy with whatever you buy so ideally you need to listen to them or failing that be able to return them if not really satisfied.

Remember though the demo Wharfdales with have an advantage out of the box as they have been run in, the Epos being brand new will need some hours use to run them in.

Tricky. The Epos are a better power rating match but the Whatfdales a better impedance match. Unless you intend to run a high volumes for very long periods then neither should be a problem, plus the speaker ratings will probabaly be more accurate than those of your amplifier.

The Epos are a true hifi speaker so will work with a much better amplifier quite happily whereas the Wharfdales while very good are more of a mass produced item and will be amp limited quite low down the food chain but this is reflected in the price. Both seem quite keenly priced but the Epos more so even though they are the more expensive.

My only real worry with the Epos is that you wont hear how much better they are until you drive them with a better amplifier.

Either way $200 or $300 it's still a chunk of money and you want to be happy with whatever you buy so ideally you need to listen to them or failing that be able to return them if not really satisfied.

Remember though the demo Wharfdales with have an advantage out of the box as they have been run in, the Epos being brand new will need some hours use to run them in.

Thank you for this. I think I am going to go with the Epos then. I think that in the long run I will be much happier with them and they will encourage me to upgrade my system when I have the money to do so. 

One more thing, I just looked back at the specs on my amp, and I must have seen a different spec sheet the first time around, because it said that the impedance level was 6ohms to 16ohms. This actually works in favor of the Epos correct?