Upcoming Hot Topic Releases

My Hot Topic said they were gonna stop selling vinyl but that the one girl who buys all their colored exclusives and resells them on eBay got really upset and yelled at someone from corporate over the phone so they are going to keep selling records for the time being.

That's too bad. I'm not sure how they decide which locations will carry it.

Maybe Travis can shed some light?

I know one of the smaller stores by me does not, but two others do.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The stores that had vinyl and no long have vinyl obviously weren't selling enough vinyl for them to justify keeping it in stock. The space is probably better used for a different kind of vinyl or some Doctor Who junk. Brick and mortar stores are all about maximizing profit. I used to run a Gamestop and guess what happened when our PS2 and GameCube stuff stopped selling? We shipped it to a store that still sold a lot of it. It doesn't mean I didn't still have customers coming in asking about it, but there just wasn't enough demand to justify taking up the shelf space. Sorry for the lengthy marketing essay, just trying to help.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The stores that had vinyl and no long have vinyl obviously weren't selling enough vinyl for them to justify keeping it in stock. The space is probably better used for a different kind of vinyl or some Doctor Who junk. Brick and mortar stores are all about maximizing profit. I used to run a Gamestop and guess what happened when our PS2 and GameCube stuff stopped selling? We shipped it to a store that still sold a lot of it. It doesn't mean I didn't still have customers coming in asking about it, but there just wasn't enough demand to justify taking up the shelf space. Sorry for the lengthy marketing essay, just trying to help.

I understand your point, but there is tons of random shit in every HT store that just takes up space.

The (always well stocked) record section at my local HT is 5' tall x 3' wide and on an endcap.

I understand your point, but there is tons of random shit in every HT store that just takes up space.

The (always well stocked) record section at my local HT is 5' tall x 3' wide and on an endcap.

Whoever at HT evaluates P&L reports (not sure at what level that happens there) determined that it shouldn't be at the store and the other random junk should be. It's not a conspiracy to keep the precious vinyIs from any particular customer. Just a business trying to make the most money possible. One day they may decided to try it again if some other junk isn't doing well anymore.

Also, my main point is that it doesn't do any good asking Travis why such and such mall doesn't sell vinyl anymore. His job is to determine what will sell well in general company wide and then procure it for the company, not pick and choose what store gets what. He can correct me if his company's buyers have a more involved role than the few major retail stores I worked for in a decade of retail jobs.

Whoever at HT evaluates P&L reports (not sure at what level that happens there) determined that it shouldn't be at the store and the other random junk should be. It's not a conspiracy to keep the precious vinyIs from any particular customer. Just a business trying to make the most money possible. One day they may decided to try it again if some other junk isn't doing well anymore.

That's all well and good.

My main point was that the record display at my local store takes up less room than almost anything else in there, so I don't think retail space is the deciding factor.  That's why I was wondering if Travis had some sort of insight, because obviously there are customers near those stores who want to buy records.

Why does everything here have to be so fucking snarky?

My main point was that the record display at my local store takes up less room than almost anything else in there, so I don't think retail space is the deciding factor. That's why I was wondering if Travis had some sort of insight, because obviously there are customers near those stores who want to buy records.

Ok, I guess you didn't read my other post. I'm done trying to reason with you hot topic thread posters. Have fun praying to Travis for your PATD and FOB reissues.

Has anyone had an order ship since cyber Monday? I know it's the holidays. But every years it's like HT warehouse is shocked they get a ton of orders and are totally unprepared. What the he'll is going on in Tennesee ?

I haven't had an order ship since then either. But not much is going on in TN right now... I'll have to stop by the warehouse and get em moving over there

How did you type vinyl-with-an-'s'? Did they undo the fix?

My main point was that the record display at my local store takes up less room than almost anything else in there, so I don't think retail space is the deciding factor.  That's why I was wondering if Travis had some sort of insight, because obviously there are customers near those stores who want to buy records.

Dude he wasn't being snarky. He laid out good points on why some Hot Topics sell vinyl and some don't. If you don't agree thats fine. Whoever at Hot Topic decided they wanted a smaller display for vinyl. And more than likely it goes back to the $ per square foot. Business is all about money. 

While vinyl is popular. So are the Pop Vinyl Figures. And Band T-Shirts. 

Whoever ran the numbers determined that they can make more money but making the vinyl display smaller. Is it inconvenient? Yeah it can be. But they look at the numbers as the deciding factor.

Dude he wasn't being snarky. He laid out good points on why some Hot Topics sell vinyl and some don't. If you don't agree thats fine. Whoever at Hot Topic decided they wanted a smaller display for vinyl. And more than likely it goes back to the $ per square foot. Business is all about money.

While vinyl is popular. So are the Pop Vinyl Figures. And Band T-Shirts.

Whoever ran the numbers determined that they can make more money but making the vinyl display smaller. Is it inconvenient? Yeah it can be. But they look at the numbers as the deciding factor.

Buuuuut Travis where is the vinyl?!? Why Travis why?!?

;)