Upcoming Hot Topic Releases

24 minutes ago, ChasHawk said:

Instead of "having a think", how bout you just tell us what's up?

I had a think... my thought is since they (FYE... and I think someone mentioned UO) charge more (hard to believe they are MORE expensive than HT) perhaps they are paying the labels more for these exclusive pressings? HT probably finally realized that if it's not Blink 182, FOB or PATD their exclusives are sitting around collecting dust so they could be letting these other exclusives go. Notice they actually have been putting vinyl on sale with the rest of the merch lately, trying to move some units.

Just my thoughts. New Trav can smite me if I'm just talking out of my ass.

9 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I had a think... my thought is since they (FYE... and I think someone mentioned UO) charge more (hard to believe they are MORE expensive than HT) perhaps they are paying the labels more for these exclusive pressings? HT probably finally realized that if it's not Blink 182, FOB or PATD their exclusives are sitting around collecting dust so they could be letting these other exclusives go. Notice they actually have been putting vinyl on sale with the rest of the merch lately, trying to move some units.

Just my thoughts. New Trav can smite me if I'm just talking out of my ass.

Actually, the most recent NFG album was cheaper for the UO exclusive than the previous album was at HT.

FYE is a different fucking story.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking about that as well and I'm currently looking at the Urban Outfitters thread and thinking I'll be following that one instead. As it was said before, they really do get a whole bunch of sweet exclusives. I just bought Paramore's After Laughter because they actually got an orange/white press of it. 

Maybe this is why OG Travis left, UO, FYE, and Newbury Comics are all killing it.

A thought for the new music buyer,

What really used to get people pumped were the details.  Make us feel like that close community again, tell us what you're working on, when it might be coming out, how many you're pressing.  It creates buzz.   We don't want to go on-line to be surprised by new exclusives randomly in stock, we want to know what's coming up and when.    I really think a big reason of the success of the past HT exclusives was because travis was so dialed into this community and respected.    Keep the presses small, keep us in the loop, it generates excitement.      

On 8/15/2017 at 3:50 AM, jeffthomas84 said:

FYE has really gone all in on their vinyl/exclusives as well... A lot of titles I feel you'd used to see HT getting, are now going to FYE

HT has been turning down some exclusives too. They were offered a chance at an exclusive variant for D.R.U.G.S. but they declined it, so it went to ETR instead. It wouldn't surprise me if they turned down some others too.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Yeah it made sense when they actually still sold records in stores. But with (pretty much) no exclusives, there's not much incentive to order from them anymore.

Especially since they don't accept promo codes for them.  It's cool they've been selling a lot at 30% off.  I think there are three strong indicators that vinyl isn't selling as well for HT: less exclusives, a very extended 30% sale, and pulling it from retail. 

• 3 weeks later...