should records be sealed or opened?

most rare recent records are based on color... gotta open it to confirm it :)

yeah true!

i just opened a record tonight that i had sitting on my shelf for about a year thinking it was just black vinyl, i opened it and it turns out to be a awesome cloudy sky blue colour and its looks so cool!!.

lol.

Guest scriptedrain
i like the plastic sleeves more then any shrink rap

Me too, but he's asking about whether a record loses its value if you open it. Not what you store it in after you've opened it. (That's a whole other huge thread we had before.)

- Jeff

we tend to open shrinkwrap if we are uncertain about the color. We try our best to let all of you know what colored vinyl we actually have instead of leaving it to guess work.

to me also, it's kind of a waste...well on the level i'm working at...it's just that much less garbage created...i guess if you're a huge label and pressing 5000 copies of something it makes sense, but i say why bother.

what REALLY bugs me is when you order LPs and the label doesn't put the records in sleeves.

fuck you rivalry records.

if youre looking for resale value on records ive seen some box sets on ebay sell for higher because they were opened... people like to see pictures of everything theyre getting and not just an empty box... case in point a sounds of science box set on ebay opened went for 300 bucks and a sealed one went for 200

i am sort of torn here. as much as i love fondling my records, there's something awesome about having a sealed copy of a record you know is rare. For example if there is a sticker on the shrink letting you know it's a color, so few of those will stay sealed that it adds some allure. But having said that, I ultimately prefer having full access to the record, sleeve, etc., so unless I have two of something, I open 99% of my records.