The Beer Thread

I've never used it myself, but I believe Mr. Beer uses extracts rather than actual grains. It's much easier, especially for beginners, but using something like the second kit you posted provides a much better experience of actual brewing.

I bought a few friends the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits. They're pretty cheap ($40), full grain recipe included, and provide great instructions for beginners. And their beer recipes are pretty damn good. (I did the IPA and the Jalapeño Saison the first couple times I brewed, with excellent results)

thank you! i really appreciate it. keeping my fingers crossed.

if you see any cherry rye or vanilla, snag those as well for me please! 

I'd be amazed if there were any still sitting on shelves (at a reasonable price, anyways). Many people had a hard enough time getting them on the day of release, let alone 2 weeks later.

I bought a few friends the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits. They're pretty cheap ($40), full grain recipe included, and provide great instructions for beginners. And their beer recipes are pretty damn good. (I did the IPA and the Jalapeño Saison the first couple times I brewed, with excellent results)

My upstairs neighbor used a couple of the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits and was pleased with them.  A Jalepeno Saison sounds fucking delicious.  I'm going to try and find a recipe for that and add it to my spring/summer to brew list.

Trying to decide what my beer list will be over the Christmas holiday. So far thinking:

Bell's 2012 Black Note

New Belgium La Folie (Lips of Faith Series)

Goose Island 2011 Lolita

Goose Island 2013 Bourbon County Coffee

Goose Island 2013 Backyard Rye

Anyone else planning on busting out some good stuff for the holidays?

these two bad boys have this year's christmas written all over em.

CBS_Imperial_Stout.JPG

601821_10101351634470493_883837091_n.jpg

i'll only have one of those Partridge In A Pear Tree left after that though; so this will have to do me for another 6 years, haha. 

I'm planning on finishing the series, then drinking all 12. Amongst friends, of course.  :D

karbach fra*gee*lay is delicious. its the "yule shoot your eye out" Christmas ale aged in maker's mark bourbon barrels. ho my god.

I haven't seen any seasonal Karbach around these parts. I really wanted to find Krunkin Pumpkin but no dice. They just showed up in Dallas, so I can't complain too much. Hopadillo is damn good.

Boy was I let down by the New Belgium/Cigar City Lips of Faith release. I love beer brewed with chilies (Habanero Sculpin and Calapooia Chili are my favorites), but this had zero heat and just a terrible, terrible taste. I mean, I would not even drink it again for free.

yeah, wasnt impressed here either. the "lips of faith le terrior" on the other hand (wild ale dry hopped w amarillo hops and aged in oak barrels) i cant get enough of. 

Has anyone here tried the Lips of Faith coconut curry hefe?  I'm so intrigued by it, but it doesn't sound good at all.

yeah, we had it on draft until today.

its a decent hefe, but the curry is so freakin strong. its ok cold, but as it warms up it gets funky as hell. i can imagine it pairs well with thai, but thats about it. 

im not into it, cause i hate curry and hefeweizens for the most part, but it def sold. 

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend's parents got me an awesome "Make Your Own 9-Pack" 9-Pack from World Market for Christmas.  I've only had one of the beers in it before so I'm excited to try all the others.  It contained:

- Humboldt Brown: Ale Brewed With Hemp

- North Coast: Wintertime Ale

- Heavy Seas: Winter Storm (the one I've had before)

- He'Brew: Genesis

- Left Hand: Fade To Black

- Bison: Organic Chocolate Stout

- Mad River: Steelhead Porter

- Boulder Beer: Never Summer Ale

- Breckenridge: Christmas Ale

My girlfriend's parents got me an awesome "Make Your Own 9-Pack" 9-Pack from World Market for Christmas.  I've only had one of the beers in it before so I'm excited to try all the others.  It contained:

- Humboldt Brown: Ale Brewed With Hemp

- North Coast: Wintertime Ale

- Heavy Seas: Winter Storm (the one I've had before)

- He'Brew: Genesis

- Left Hand: Fade To Black

- Bison: Organic Chocolate Stout

- Mad River: Steelhead Porter

- Boulder Beer: Never Summer Ale

- Breckenridge: Christmas Ale

love making your own!

Went to The Convict's Pint at The Four Firkins last night... it's an amazing beer store in St. Louis Park, MN. Every Friday and Saturday evening they have beer tastings.

Last night was:

- Tusker Finest Quality Lager (Kenya Breweries)
- Schell's Bock (August Schell Brewing)
- Black Ale (Bent Paddle Brewing)
- The Auroch's Horn (Olvalde Farm and Brewing)
- Brimstone Tripel (Boom Island Brewing)

- Ode to a Russian Shipwright (Olvalde Farm and Brewing)

All very good, especially the last three. I'd had Auroch's Horn before, and it was the best of the night with Brimstone and Russian Shipwright close seconds. The black ale had a bit too much coffee to it (I'm not a coffee drinker). Schell's Bock was very good, just not amazing, and Tusker's Lager had surprising depth for such a light beer. 

Add me on Untappd :) My username is iplante

Also purchased a bottle of DeuS, which we'll have on New Year's Eve :D