The Beer Thread

I wasn't going to buy any beer for a while, but I might have to make an exception and see if I'm able to find this.

The "hour and a half from Houston" set off a trigger in my brain. I'm from Nederland.

ha! small world. i've only been down here for a little over a year. only been to nederland a handful of times--checked out the mall and all star comics. i actually work out in orange.

Does anyone on here brew? Nothing better than a 6 hour brew day with a bunch of dudes where everyone brings their favorite beer to share and their favorite record to spin.

Brewing a session pale ale tonight (and a saison next week)!  I've got my brew time down to about 5.5 hours if I do a 60 minute boil.  Got a bunch of new music in the mail today too, stoked to drink beer and listen to some new stuff.

Brewing a session pale ale tonight (and a saison next week)!  I've got my brew time down to about 5.5 hours if I do a 60 minute boil.  Got a bunch of new music in the mail today too, stoked to drink beer and listen to some new stuff.

Hell yea dude.. I generally brew stuff that is on the heftier side so a 90 min boil is usually a must for me. I'm throwing together a hoppy little Imperial Black IPA on Friday brewed with cold pressed coffee. I'm shooting for a 1.101 OG so needless to say, it's going to be big. I also have a shit ton of new stuff to listen to so I'll be hogging the record player that day for sure. Then Sunday I'm hoping to brew a big Imperial Stout that I can barrel age until next christmas to give as gifts.

Hell yea dude.. I generally brew stuff that is on the heftier side so a 90 min boil is usually a must for me. I'm throwing together a hoppy little Imperial Black IPA on Friday brewed with cold pressed coffee. I'm shooting for a 1.101 OG so needless to say, it's going to be big. I also have a shit ton of new stuff to listen to so I'll be hogging the record player that day for sure. Then Sunday I'm hoping to brew a big Imperial Stout that I can barrel age until next christmas to give as gifts.

Nice on that stout, I have a barley wine that I'm ageing for a few more years to give out as a Christmas gift.  My brew last night took right around 5 hours, which means I didn't listen to everything I wanted to.  Never thought I'd want my brew sessions to last longer, but sometimes I feel a little bummed out when I realize I'm almost done.

Trying to find a limited beer is not as fun as trying to find a limited record. Called three major liquor stores and the only one that might have it said they sold a lot today and then put me on hold for ten minutes and never came back.

Getting Dogfish Head 120 was not all that fun either.

Trying to find a limited beer is not as fun as trying to find a limited record. Called three major liquor stores and the only one that might have it said they sold a lot today and then put me on hold for ten minutes and never came back.

Getting Dogfish Head 120 was not all that fun either.

Specs in Beaumont. He said tomorrow!

I went to the MN Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival yesterday. OMFG IT WAS COLD!!!

Fun times, except lots of brewers had frozen lines and you couldn't sample. In addition, you had to drink your samples real fast or they would freeze in your glass, leaving you with beer slushies. Also, ice cold isn't the optimal temperature for a lot of beer, so the tastes weren't always necessarily what it should be.

Best of the night, IMHO:

- Dangerous Man's Hazelnut Porter (omfg that was gooooood!)

- Tallgrass's Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat

- Oldvalde's The Auroch's Horn Aged On Rhubarb, mulled and served hot

I think that I'll stick to warmer weather / indoors beer events from now on, but it was definitely an experience! It was super crowded too... long lines at each booth :(

Went down to my local bar to get some dinner with my folks tonight and they had Hala Kahiki Pineapple Beer on tap.

Never seen such a thing, so had to try it.  Overall it was not bad for a fruit flavored beer, but not something i could drink more than one of. 

looked like a cloudy lager and had a nice pineapple aroma, and was not overly sweet. I would give it a 3.5 / 5.0

I was lucky enough to watch the Super Bowl with a buddy who's both a lifelong Seahawks fan and major beer geek. We split each of these between 3 of us:

Heady Topper

Pliny the Elder

Lost Abbey Track #9

Lost Abbey Track #5

Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11 aged in red wine barrels

Boubon County Backyard Rye

The Bruery Grey Monday

Wowza!

Anyone ever have the Dogfish Head 90 IPA ? It was the first beer I had drinking at a bar underage, and I thought it was sweet, but really good. 

It is a pretty solid IPA. But I prefer Sculpin or Pliny. Also! There is a brewery here in Northern CA called Knee Deep and they make this phenomenal IPA called Hoptologist.  I love IPAs that have that piney / citrusy flavor from whatever magic hop they are using.

It is a pretty solid IPA. But I prefer Sculpin or Pliny. Also! There is a brewery here in Northern CA called Knee Deep and they make this phenomenal IPA called Hoptologist.  I love IPAs that have that piney / citrusy flavor from whatever magic hop they are using.

Simcoe + Citra most likely. 

As a matter of fact, if you dig that, you should get some of Knee Deep's Simtra. you'd love it.