The Beer Thread

Which one? So far I've only tried the Tater Ridge Scottish Ale and it was pretty good.

Electric Ray India Pale Lager (Ballast Point).

I figured I would start out with the hop forward beers before the bitterness started to fade out due to age. It was alright, but I haven't really been a fan of IPL's. Definite citrus notes, but I miss the flavor that you get from an IPA that gets lost with the extra lagerring time that you need for an IPL.

Electric Ray India Pale Lager (Ballast Point).

I figured I would start out with the hop forward beers before the bitterness started to fade out due to age. It was alright, but I haven't really been a fan of IPL's. Definite citrus notes, but I miss the flavor that you get from an IPA that gets lost with the extra lagerring time that you need for an IPL.

That seems like a good order to do these in, I may have to steal that idea!

That seems like a good order to do these in, I may have to steal that idea!

Keeping with that philosophy, I'm going to do the Torpedo Pilsner Hoppy Pilsner (Firestone Walker) tonight and then move into the Pales. I'm looking forward to the both the 3 Floyds Chico King Pale Ale and the Allagash Myron's Walk Belgian-style Pale Ale, although I feel like I already know what the real standouts are going to be from reading reviews of them all.

Almost picked up a Beer Camp pack today, but didn't feel like spending the 22$ on it.  Regretting it now that I'm home.  Hopefully there will still be some left when I grocery shop next week.

I did pick up Almeda's Yellow Wolf IIPA.  Good West Coast IPA that seems to get overlooked quite a bit, pick it up if you see it.  Doesn't help that their bottle is kind of boring.

Keeping with that philosophy, I'm going to do the Torpedo Pilsner Hoppy Pilsner (Firestone Walker) tonight and then move into the Pales. I'm looking forward to the both the 3 Floyds Chico King Pale Ale and the Allagash Myron's Walk Belgian-style Pale Ale, although I feel like I already know what the real standouts are going to be from reading reviews of them all.

I had forgotten you said you were having the hoppy pils tonight, I did too. It was...hoppy, but had a nice flavor to it. I liked it more than I thought I would.

Has anyone ever tried this?

http://www.westvleteren12.com/

seems kinda sketchy. Also, Westy 12 ain't gonna change your life. It's just another Quad, albeit a damn well made one. It's "the best beer in the world" because people love the lore of it, not necessarily because of anything else.  Instead of spending 140 bucks + shipping, just get this:

abt12.jpg

it's the exact same recipe, and technically, more Westy than Westy ;)

St Bernardus uses the original Westvleteren yeast strain, whereas Westvleteren moved to using a Westmalle yeast strain. 

Want to make it more authentic? take the label off.  B)

I had forgotten you said you were having the hoppy pils tonight, I did too. It was...hoppy, but had a nice flavor to it. I liked it more than I thought I would.

I actually felt the opposite. It wasn't nearly as hoppy as I was hoping for. It's those New Zealand hops they used. I feel like being on the West Coast has destroyed my appreciation for subtle hops. Everything hop-forward around here is big on the bitterness, and that's what I look for when I see "Hoppy" on the label.

It wasn't bad...it just wasn't what I imagined when I read the description.

Moving on to the Pales next.

Almost picked up a Beer Camp pack today, but didn't feel like spending the 22$ on it.  Regretting it now that I'm home.  Hopefully there will still be some left when I grocery shop next week.

I did pick up Almeda's Yellow Wolf IIPA.  Good West Coast IPA that seems to get overlooked quite a bit, pick it up if you see it.  Doesn't help that their bottle is kind of boring.

I felt the same way when I saw the price, but it really breaks down to ~$2 a 12oz. That's much better prices than you would see at any bar that had the Beer Camp Tap Takeover. And you don't have to try and slam 12 tasters in one visit so you won't miss one if the kegs blow. You can space them out and enjoy an entire bottle.

I felt the same way when I saw the price, but it really breaks down to ~$2 a 12oz. That's much better prices than you would see at any bar that had the Beer Camp Tap Takeover. And you don't have to try and slam 12 tasters in one visit so you won't miss one if the kegs blow. You can space them out and enjoy an entire bottle.

Yeah, I realize the price isn't terrible, I just didn't want to add that to my already hefty grocery total this week.  I get paid on Tuesday, so I'm definitely going to pick it up next week if possible.

Also, any Seattle area folks going to the Seattle International Beerfest next weekend?  I'm going Friday and Saturday and would be down for some VC meetups.

I actually felt the opposite. It wasn't nearly as hoppy as I was hoping for. It's those New Zealand hops they used. I feel like being on the West Coast has destroyed my appreciation for subtle hops. Everything hop-forward around here is big on the bitterness, and that's what I look for when I see "Hoppy" on the label.

It wasn't bad...it just wasn't what I imagined when I read the description.

Moving on to the Pales next.

Ah, see I haven't been able to do IPA's and stuff since moving out here. I'm not huge on really hoppy beers so I enjoyed it being a little more subtle.

Just got out to Austin. Anyone have any recommendations for breweries to keep an eye out for?

Lonestar :)

I like the couple of Jester King beers I had while I was down there.  I went to quite a few places with a lot of taps, so I doubt you'll have trouble finding a lot of new ones to try.

• 2 weeks later...