The Beer Thread

• 3 weeks later...

San Antonio finally has a brewery that is doing NE style IPAs and I couldn't be more excited! Best part is I work right around the corner from them. :)  Other than that, I pretty much go to Jester King for every release. Started trading a few Months ago so our collection is at about 200 different beers, but have been slowing down because it's freaking expensive and I have a wedding coming up in less than 3 months so I kinda need that money right now.  haha   Beer and records drain the bank account faster than anything, but if anyone has any interest in Texas beers, I could probably help out.  Will definitely get back into the game a lot more after March. 

8 hours ago, hippielauryn said:

San Antonio finally has a brewery that is doing NE style IPAs and I couldn't be more excited! Best part is I work right around the corner from them. :)  Other than that, I pretty much go to Jester King for every release. Started trading a few Months ago so our collection is at about 200 different beers, but have been slowing down because it's freaking expensive and I have a wedding coming up in less than 3 months so I kinda need that money right now.  haha   Beer and records drain the bank account faster than anything, but if anyone has any interest in Texas beers, I could probably help out.  Will definitely get back into the game a lot more after March. 

What SA brewery??

2 hours ago, hippielauryn said:

It's called Weathered Souls. Just opened up about a Month or so ago. The two NE style IPAs they're known for are Spottieottiehopalicious and Who Got The Juice Now

Awesome!! Do they have a brew pub w/food? I'll be in SA next week for work--if so might have to swing by for dinner. 

On 12/15/2016 at 8:45 AM, batman said:

Awesome!! Do they have a brew pub w/food? I'll be in SA next week for work--if so might have to swing by for dinner. 

No food yet. You should definitely check it out though, and maybe get a crowler to take home. :) 

Here's a list of some of my personal beer/food favorites around town.

• Freetail Brewpub on 1604 - Solid beer and pizza place. They have other things too like salads, sandwiches and what not, and they usually have specials. Tuesday is $2.50 pint night and Wednesday is date night with a pitcher of beer and medium pizza for $20. Super chill vibe with lots of TVs.  
  • Cullum's Attagirl - Hands down the best southern fried chicken in the city, and they have a good tap list. A little hole in the wall place located downtown, but we go there almost every Thursday. Closed on Monday, but open the rest of the week. 
  • The Hoppy Monk - A little on the pricey side, but solid tap list, cocktails and really great food. I love their Reuben De Lengua. 
  • Check out any of the Big Hops beer bars in town. Weathered Souls is located right behind Big Hops Bitters, but there are a few Big Hops scattered all over town. 
  • GS1221 - Solid beer bar. Surrounded by food places and sometimes they have a food truck parked out front
  • The Cove - Burger place with a solid tap list at their outside bar. 
  • The Friendly Spot - Outdoor beer bar and they typically have food trucks

Hit me up if you need any other suggestions. We're no Austin, but I hope you enjoy your time in SA. haha

30 minutes ago, hippielauryn said:

No food yet. You should definitely check it out though, and maybe get a crowler to take home. :) 

Here's a list of some of my personal beer/food favorites around town.

i checked out freetail last time and that's a great spot! had a really good calzone, and yeah, $2.50 pints. will have to check out some of the others. i get 50 bucks to spend for dinner, so always looking for good spots.

Edited by batman

On 12/14/2016 at 8:07 AM, hippielauryn said:

I would love to trade for some Jester King. I live in CO and can get anything from around here. 

My buddy asked me to come over on Monday to split the 2010 Founders Nemesis that I gave him six years ago.

When I bought the four pack in 2010 I gave one to him because he always looked out for me on the beer front and we split one that night. The third bottle I drank a year later and the last bottle I drank with three buddies the night they arrived in town for my wedding (at 4am). At least I'd thought it was the last one until Monday night. Unfortunately it didn't taste quite as good at 6 years as it did at 3.

He greeted me with an aged Christmas Bomb and then he proceeded to convince my wife and I to take 22 bottles of beer that was between 4 and 1 year(s) old, which took some convincing. He was insistent that I not only take it, but drink it because with them moving out of their old place and being in an apartment temporarily until buying a new house they just didn't have room for it. It wasn't until I was clear that I was only holding it until he could split it at my house that I took it. It was about a third of what he'd been cellaring and we were "slaying white whales" (his words, ha ha) all night.

Other stuff he sent me home with:
Founders KBS 2013 & 2014 (I have a 2012 at home, so we'll probably split those back to back to back some day)

Goose Island Bourbon Country 2013, 2014 and 2015x2

Dogfish Head Bitches Brew 2012 (to split and listen to his copy of later)

Brooklyn Old Fashioned (not sure of the year)

Epic Big Bad Baptist (not sure of year)

Olde Hickory Event Horizon 2012

Stone Imperial Russian Stout 2013

Cambridge Brew Co you Enjoy My Stout (not sure of year)

A couple of Blue Point Test Brews (never seen something like this before. Generic labels with stamped names for the brews... maybe never available commercially? BP Pilz and Blueberry Seltzer)

A Troegs Barleywine

An aged Stone Xocoveza

Brooklyn Monster Ale 2012x3

A 2014 Founders Backwoods Bastard

Was going to include pics, but the site is not seeming to want to let me.

Edited by mameeshkamowskwoz

5 minutes ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

A couple of Blue Point Test Brews (never seen something like this before. Generic labels with stamped names for the brews... maybe never available commercially? BP Pilz and Blueberry Seltzer)

InBev uses those on R&D beers. Reps will usually take them into the market for accounts to try to get a feel for what people think of them. 

Finally popped open one of the milk stouts that my buddy and I made at the Corkscrew Winery in Ocala, FL.

It's so good. Everything a dark beer, and a milk stout needs to be. Rich, sweet, creamy, filled with coffee and chocolate notes which make it go down smooth. 

WrPfU8Sh.jpg

It's beer, so there isn't a RIGHT answer but how old was your Pliny? Pliny falls off pretty fast. Anything over four weeks is pushing it I think. To me what made Pliny special was the clarity and how it still had a sort of delicate approach relative to many East Coast bruisers. Delicate may not be the right word, but for my money, it's more fun to drink than a lot of the super sought after stuff. All these new IPAs that drink like milkshakes or lattes are crazy to me

Pliny is a malt bomb. Totally understandable why some people don't like it as much. I was also pretty unimpressed, but mine was about a Month old. 

On 12/17/2016 at 11:53 PM, seangj said:

I would love to trade for some Jester King. I live in CO and can get anything from around here. 

I'd definitely be down with trading for some Casey :D

On 12/20/2016 at 3:55 PM, BuzzersonKillwell said:

It's beer, so there isn't a RIGHT answer but how old was your Pliny? Pliny falls off pretty fast. Anything over four weeks is pushing it I think. To me what made Pliny special was the clarity and how it still had a sort of delicate approach relative to many East Coast bruisers. Delicate may not be the right word, but for my money, it's more fun to drink than a lot of the super sought after stuff. All these new IPAs that drink like milkshakes or lattes are crazy to me

The one I had on Sunday was an embarrassing 3 months old lol.  So that was trash.  But I also had a fresh one & it just tasted bland to me.  It didn't stand out over any other decent DIPA I've had.  I love the NE hazy juice, but a good West Coaster is amazing.

My favorite I've had this year was Other Half's "Double Dry Hopped Double Mosaic Dream".   That thing was like 3 beers in one.  Incredible.