The Beer Thread

On Friday, my buddy Jim and I are going to a local Winery where you can brew your own batches of wine and beer. We're doing the beer, and going to be brewing up a milk stout. The cost is $200 ($230 with custom labels), and it yields roughly 50-55 bottles of your own brew. They walk you through the steps of actual brewing, and it sits there for however long after the initial process, in our case, about 6 weeks. Then we go back and do the bottling. I'm pretty stoked.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:32 AM, THE_James_Champ said:

On Friday, my buddy Jim and I are going to a local Winery where you can brew your own batches of wine and beer. We're doing the beer, and going to be brewing up a milk stout. The cost is $200 ($230 with custom labels), and it yields roughly 50-55 bottles of your own brew. They walk you through the steps of actual brewing, and it sits there for however long after the initial process, in our case, about 6 weeks. Then we go back and do the bottling. I'm pretty stoked.

Great idea, but for $200 you can buy an extract set up and all your ingredients. A normal 5 gal. (50 bottles) is around $50. If you like it, I would suggest buying a set up. For extract brewing you can get off around $100 or less in equipment.

12 hours ago, seangj said:

Great idea, but for $200 you can buy an extract set up and all your ingredients. A normal 5 gal. (50 bottles) is around $50. If you like it, I would suggest buying a set up. For extract brewing you can get off around $100 or less in equipment.

But this was also a step by step process, because i know nothing about the process. They also provide a place for the beer to ferment and do it's thing, which is don't have. Plus the bottles. We had a blast. The winery was making their first pumpkin porter of the season.

35 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

But this was also a step by step process, because i know nothing about the process. They also provide a place for the beer to ferment and do it's thing, which is don't have. Plus the bottles. We had a blast. The winery was making their first pumpkin porter of the season.

The direction and beer storage helps a lot. I'm glad you guys had fun.

On 7/12/2016 at 4:53 PM, mrewest said:

Has anyone had Columbus Brewing's Bodhi DIPA?  It's my current obsession.  They are finally bottling it but the release party is this Saturday and it's $100 per ticket.  Includes a full case of the stuff & other swag & a couple drafts, but a bit steep for me at the moment.  They are going to distribute eventually though.  It's so good.

What part of NE Ohio are you in? I was the Bell's rep for a few years in that market before moving to MI for a promotion. 

1 hour ago, seangj said:

The direction and beer storage helps a lot. I'm glad you guys had fun.

Totally, I love to drink it, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to the actual brewing. This place is a beer or wine drinkers dream for sure. They had a Belgian spice tapped that was made with habaneros and real strawberries. It was a goddamn miracle. Little heat, perfect sweetness in the finish.

On 4/16/2008 at 5:38 PM, salparadise said:

i'm not big on Sierra Nevada, I've had the pale ale and their ESB. But it's really just not that great, I'm not into the West Coast hops.

I don't drink much lately, but I still like new castle and yuengling and high life because they work in my budget. i'm not crazy about beer anyway. i'm more of a mixed drink fella.

I first had Sierra Navada whilst eating an Almost Famous burger, now it's the only thing I can drink when I've got a greasy burger on the go :D

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, justinfastbreak said:

I have some 3 floyds man! Has there ever been beer trading on this forum?

I used to send beer often in the early days of the forum. 

12 hours ago, batman said:

2 weeks in the midwest really opened my eyes to a lot of good beer. i miss bell's and 3 floyds already... :wub:

Bell's in Texas in March! Hoping I get to be a part of the launch. 

8 minutes ago, burkyburk said:

Really pumped for Bell's to be in Texas. I lived in Michigan for a couple years, and miss it! Also pumped that they are releasing a new beer just to celebrate their Texas distro! https://www.bellsbeer.com/news/new-american-ipa-will-head-texas-when-bells-beer-launches-there-2017

Isn't that cool? I'm hoping to get some bottles of that myself since it's TX exclusive. 

12 hours ago, batman said:

Yep, can't wait for Bell's in Texas. I drove over to Kalamazoo last weekend and spent the afternoon at the Eccentric Cafe. Such a great place and they had $3 t-shirts & hats in the store. 

You visit any of the record stores in town? I'm hoping to set up a tap event in town for RSD this spring with some of the local shops. 

3 hours ago, jacobe said:

You visit any of the record stores in town? I'm hoping to set up a tap event in town for RSD this spring with some of the local shops. 

I did not. It was about a 2.5/3 hour drive over from where I was staying so I hit Hop Cat, Bell's, and Arcadia and then drove back.