The Beer Thread

Anyone here homebrew? I just had some success with my second brew I did for my friend's who got married over the weekend. I called it the "I Do Brew"

I'm thinking of doing the White House Beer next.

I've been wanting to try homebrew for a while, but just have no time. Maybe when I'm done grad school.

Also just had some Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout this weekend and hot damn was it good!

Anyone here homebrew? I just had some success with my second brew I did for my friend's who got married over the weekend. I called it the "I Do Brew"

I'm thinking of doing the White House Beer next.

I do. It is a lot of fun. Once you start doing all grain batches you will never go back. I last week i brewed my first lager (Muncih Dunkel) to be ready for Oktoberfest.

I do. It is a lot of fun. Once you start doing all grain batches you will never go back. I last week i brewed my first lager (Muncih Dunkel) to be ready for Oktoberfest.

I need to figure out how to get a place cold enough for lagering. I was thinking of getting one of those chest freezers. Also I thought you needed to brew in Spring for an Oktoberfest beer.

Turned 21 at the end of august. Have minimal knowledge of specialty beer at best. Any suggestions of stuff that I should try?

It really depends on what your tastes are. Beers and ales can vary so damn much. Personally, I'm getting tired of the whole let's hop the everloving shit out of our beers.

For starters, I would suggest the following breweries: Stone, Schmaltz, Dogfish Head. Find some local breweries and go on tours there. It's a great way to sample some of their more non commercial types.

Style wise, I would start with pilsners, blonde and amber ales, Pale Ales. You can try IPAs but you probably won't like it if you don't like the Pale Ales.

Just have fun and be experimental and talk to your bartenders at the beer gardens. They will always have a nice recommendation for you if you describe a taste profile you are looking for.

It really depends on what your tastes are. Beers and ales can vary so damn much. Personally, I'm getting tired of the whole let's hop the everloving shit out of our beers.

For starters, I would suggest the following breweries: Stone, Schmaltz, Dogfish Head. Find some local breweries and go on tours there. It's a great way to sample some of their more non commercial types.

Style wise, I would start with pilsners, blonde and amber ales, Pale Ales. You can try IPAs but you probably won't like it if you don't like the Pale Ales.

Just have fun and be experimental and talk to your bartenders at the beer gardens. They will always have a nice recommendation for you if you describe a taste profile you are looking for.

I agree with most of these recommendations but just know that Stone is usually really Hoppy, IMO they over do it. Great Divide brewery is one of my favorite and haven't had a bad one from them. 21st ammendment is also awesome but only put out cans. Victory and Philadelphia Brewing Company and Yards are all Philly breweries that I love and put out amazing beers. Duck Rabbit is great as well. Honestly they way I find new beers I like is buying sampler packs from breweries. It gives you a good idea of the type of beer that brewery makes, and different types so you can find a favorite. From there just look for other breweries that make the style of beer you like, and go from there.

went to the mount snow summer brewers fest in vermont on sunday. had me quite a few IPAs... Rouge - Brutal, Stone - Self Righteous (the blackest of black IPA) , Longtrail - Double Bag. had two of the last two listed, and i hope you can forgive me for not remembering anything else i had that day.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to figure out how to get a place cold enough for lagering. I was thinking of getting one of those chest freezers. Also I thought you needed to brew in Spring for an Oktoberfest beer.

I will be a little late (most likely 2 weeks) on the Oktoberfest brew. For mine, all I'm doing is fermenting in the primary for 3 weeks at 55 degrees in a little dorm fridge with a temperature controller on it. On Tuesday I will transfer it to the secondary to lager it for a couple weeks in the same fridge set to around 34. From there straight to the keg and force carbonate. It should come out ok. My efficiency was way high (99%) so it is a higher gravity (1.061). The yeast had a harder time starting because I didn't do a starter first though. That is why the primary is taking a little longer.

I will be a little late (most likely 2 weeks) on the Oktoberfest brew. For mine, all I'm doing is fermenting in the primary for 3 weeks at 55 degrees in a little dorm fridge with a temperature controller on it. On Tuesday I will transfer it to the secondary to lager it for a couple weeks in the same fridge set to around 34. From there straight to the keg and force carbonate. It should come out ok. My efficiency was way high (99%) so it is a higher gravity (1.061). The yeast had a harder time starting because I didn't do a starter first though. That is why the primary is taking a little longer.

Makes sense, are you using glass carboys or the plastic bucket to ferment?

I agree with most of these recommendations but just know that Stone is usually really Hoppy, IMO they over do it. Great Divide brewery is one of my favorite and haven't had a bad one from them. 21st ammendment is also awesome but only put out cans. Victory and Philadelphia Brewing Company and Yards are all Philly breweries that I love and put out amazing beers. Duck Rabbit is great as well. Honestly they way I find new beers I like is buying sampler packs from breweries. It gives you a good idea of the type of beer that brewery makes, and different types so you can find a favorite. From there just look for other breweries that make the style of beer you like, and go from there.

21st Amendment is so good. The brewmaster is a good friend of my chef friend.. Although I do want to kick him in the dick for creating that Watermelon beer. Oh god is it awful. Everything else is solid in my opinion. Whenever I get a Bitter American, I start singing I'm afraid of American's but change it to I'm a bitter American... It's the small things in life.

has anyone gotten on the harpoon octoberfest? im liking it way more than sam adams

i was at our state fair yesterday, asked for a shipyard pumpkin, got a blue moon instead, and when i asked for the replacement, they let me take both. cool story bro, right? whatever.. getting a $7.75 beer for free was dope.

I'm using glass. That's the only way to go in my opinion. I am looking at some SS conical fermenters though.

what dorm fridge are you using to fit the carboy in? All the ones I've looked at have that stupid shelf thing coming out from the bottom preventing the carboy from fitting in there nicely.